I'm really tired of holding down a tap to access the copy paste menu. Especially since there is various success rates in this so I need to do it multiple times.

What I want is a hotkey or softkey for copy and paste. Is there one? Otherwise consider this my feature request.

#1 Maybe holding down the exclamation point key like the microphone or internationalization keys. (, or. )

To copy highlighted text, press and hold C with left thumb, then press V with right thumb (copy occurs when both are pressed at same time if C is pressed first).

To paste into cursor position, press and hold V with right thumb then press C with left thumb.

Or press and hold C and then when the international soft key popup appears on the soft keyboard just put the Cut and Copy buttons on the soft keyboard... same with holding down P brings up the paste on the soft keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by incongruent; 08-14-15 at 10:13 AM.
    07-01-15 06:45 AM
    I will admit, text manipulation can be trying at times (without a track pad for more granular control and multipurpose button)...but the copy/paste method is pretty solid.

Are you having issues more often near the bezel of the phone when copy/pasting?
    07-01-15 08:21 AM
    Interesting idea, how would the OS now where to highlight if you press a key though? Or would you have it so it just highlights a word in the middle and then you can change it?

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 08:22 AM
    KeePassB has a neat idea where you can wave in front of the phone to paste - you still need to select and copy, but I find the paste part is much easier - esp on a touch screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 09:03 AM
    In a text field on my Z10 with the keyboard up if I press the shift key then swipe the word or sentence it becomes highlighted for copying.

That will work on keyboard devices as well.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-01-15 09:43 AM
    You do know that if you place your cursor and then hold the shift virtual button you can use the track pad to select words or sentences or paragraphs with more granularity. Hope this helps

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 12:28 PM
    I'm talking about display only text on the screen. Not text fields I've already entered. Highlighting text is fine, but then the copy/paste popup doesn't always show. Once I've highlighted text I want a copy button that is always there instead of waiting for that popup.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 01:30 PM
    Me too would like to see copy/paste with key combo

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 01:46 PM
    I understand but I don't have any delay in the popup. Sometimes it can be sketchy on whether the side window pops out but as for the options that popup on top of selected text it is pretty instant. Not understanding how there is an issue with this. As soon as something is selected the popup is there and the two blue lines with a ball at the end is there to adjust your selection.
    Unless your experiencing a but I'd say it is nit -picking a little.

Posted via CB10
    djsvet and PatrickMJS like this.
    07-01-15 02:01 PM
    Funny thing is today my phone. Started acting up and "a" was doing select all, B was making selection in BOLD, C was coping, X cutting, V pasting. I don't know how it started and I couldn't find a way to stop it. I have it recorded on video though.

Did I miss something or I encountered a bug/future feature (10.3.2.2204)

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 04:52 PM
    It's a feature! These things are always features!

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 08:35 PM
    I too often have issues with getting the paste icon to pop up. It is REALLY frustrating. Sometimes it works great, other times not. To clarify, the cursor is already parked where I'd want to paste, but I'd tap, and paste doesn't show up, then try again, and again...and sometimes just as I tap another time, the paste icon shows up, but goes away because I already just did another tap on the text. This is on my passport which I otherwise love.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 12:05 AM
    I too often have issues with getting the paste icon to pop up. It is REALLY frustrating. Sometimes it works great, other times not. To clarify, the cursor is already parked where I'd want to paste, but I'd tap, and paste doesn't show up, then try again, and again...and sometimes just as I tap another time, the paste icon shows up, but goes away because I already just did another tap on the text. This is on my passport which I otherwise love.

Posted via CB10
    Ok this is a better explanation of what is going on and yes in this case I would love to have a dedicated past key. I only find this happens on certain android apps but that is a select few so I'm not bothered so much.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 07:08 AM
    It's a feature! These things are always features!

Posted via CB10
    OK. Any idea how to activate it? I can't find a way to replicate it.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 04:53 PM
    Deleted
    07-23-15 06:53 AM
    Yeah, it can be frustrating. What I do when this happens is enter a few characters and doubletap them. Usually the paste option will appear and my paste will replace them.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 05:56 AM
    If you're pasting, you're likely pasting text. And if you're pasting text, you've got the cursor in a text box. How is the phone to know that what you're typing is a command and not text that you want to type into the text box? (Admittedly, a problem for the developers and not OP)

I have a suggestion on the copy-paste though:
    - Currently, when I copy text and then move the cursor to another text box to paste text, there is a delay of about a second before the Paste icon fades in above it automatically. Typically, during this delay, I tap again in the textbox so I can press and hold to bring up the Paste icon/menu. But in so doing, I cancel the paste icon that was starting to appear just as I tapped the second time. Then I have to tap a couple more times to get it to manually show the paste icon.
    - By contrast, when I copy text then move to the cursor to type (e.g. I want to type something before pasting quoted text or a URL), I copy the text, tap into the destination box, and while I start to type the paste icon comes up unwantedly. (I can't recall offhand if I have to dismiss it or not)

I think the automatic Paste icon/menu would be more useful if instead it did the following: after copying text to the clipboard, and tapping to place the cursor into another textbox, the paste icon/menu appeared immediately and then faded out over the span of a second.

I just thought of this idea tonight, so I haven't had a chance to consider what situations in which this alternate behaviour would be more annoying than the present behaviour. I mean, it currently appears anyway, just after a second, so this way it would be there immediately if you need it and gone faster than it would otherwise if you didn't. Thoughts?

(To tie this to OP, this would reduce OP's annoyance of having to bring up the paste menu. Apologies if people think this is hijacking the thread instead.)

- RG>
    08-12-15 08:08 PM
    Not sure how you would implement a hotkey. If you're pasting, you're likely pasting text. And if you're pasting text, you've got the cursor in a text box. How is the phone to know that what you're typing is a command and not text that you want to type into the text box? (Admittedly, a problem for the developers and not OP)

I have a suggestion on the copy-paste though:
    - Currently, when I copy text and then move the cursor to another text box to paste text, there is a delay of about a second before the Paste icon fades in above it automatically. Typically, during this delay, I tap again in the textbox so I can press and hold to bring up the Paste icon/menu. But in so doing, I cancel the paste icon that was starting to appear just as I tapped the second time. Then I have to tap a couple more times to get it to manually show the paste icon.
    - By contrast, when I copy text then move to the cursor to type (e.g. I want to type something before pasting quoted text or a URL), I copy the text, tap into the destination box, and while I start to type the paste icon comes up unwantedly. (I can't recall offhand if I have to dismiss it or not)

I think the automatic Paste icon/menu would be more useful if instead it did the following: after copying text to the clipboard, and tapping to place the cursor into another textbox, the paste icon/menu appeared immediately and then faded out over the span of a second.

I just thought of this idea tonight, so I haven't had a chance to consider what situations in which this alternate behaviour would be more annoying than the present behaviour. I mean, it currently appears anyway, just after a second, so this way it would be there immediately if you need it and gone faster than it would otherwise if you didn't. Thoughts?

(To tie this to OP, this would reduce OP's annoyance of having to bring up the paste menu. Apologies if people think this is hijacking the thread instead.)

- RG>
    08-12-15 08:10 PM
    Some flash sites or maybe it's html5 site do not recognize the text field my cursor is in and therfore does not popup the paste icon. I need the ctrl-v in those cases. And also because it's better than on screen prompt for dummies.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 08:40 AM
    Even these are simple implementations....

To copy highlighted text, press and hold V with right thumb, then press C with left thumb (copy occurs when both are pressed at same time if V is pressed first).

To paste into cursor position, press and hold C with left thumb then press V with right thumb.

Or press and hold C and then when the international soft key popup appears on the soft keyboard just put the Cut and Copy buttons on the soft keyboard... same with holding down P brings up the paste on the soft keyboard.

Copy paste hotkey-img_20150814_094915.png

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 08:53 AM