05-21-14 03:26 AM
    No improvement to contacts app at present, sadly.

Actually had one of my first issues with it just recently. Changed bank and got a couple of text confirmations from my new bank. Both showed up as a LinkedIn contact called Hakeem (old friend I haven't spoken to in a year)!

I checked and re-checked Hakeem's contacts entry and could find absolutely nothing that might have confused the contacts app. Really, really bizarre.

Posted via CB10
    @Deckard79

See this KB article, explaining exactly your problem. Tho solution is not provided yet!

KB33764-SMS messages appear to come from the wrong contact when received on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    05-21-14 03:37 AM
    I have another contact related issue. It's something that has to do with caching I guess..

When someone is calling me, no contacts data is associated with the number. So I don't know who's calling me. After the call is over, I can see the name of the contact in call history.

This happens randomly... and happened so many times..

Also linked contacts shows duplicate entries (phone number, email, etc). It is annoying.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 04:01 AM
    I have another contact related issue. It's something that has to do with caching I guess..

When someone is calling me, no contacts data is associated with the number. So I don't know who's calling me. After the call is over, I can see the name of the contact in call history.

This happens randomly... and happened so many times..

Also linked contacts shows duplicate entries (phone number, email, etc). It is annoying.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about Phone App issues, as I don't use my Z for phone calls.

On the second, are you referring duplicate numbers shown when you click and open a contact? BB10 shows mobile number twice; one to call and another to text.
    05-21-14 06:25 AM
    Dear Sergiu1337

That's one I forgot to mention which has lately and after knowing it was in your contacts folder, then conveniently disappears when you look into your contacts again.

Even at times, you correct a contact then it reverts to what has already been fixed.

I know it is a new platform, but the the contact folder of a phone should be stable, everything else should be attached after should be come secondly and even thirdly.

I will never do IPhone or Android but may have to move to Windows as my port visitation for my work and study, then come back to my bb when they decide to open the ears, stop rushing where angels fear to tred and listen to their customers directions.

jtvberry
    Doggerz and cbzeduser like this.
    05-21-14 06:37 AM
    I wonder if there is a common configuration for those having problems. I have zero bugs with the Contacts app. My contacts are sync'ed through my Outlook.com account. No disappearing, re appearing, or duplicating contacts whatsoever. Actually, it is rock solid for me.

My complaint, which is not related to a bug, but rather a design choice, is the linking of contacts. Whenever I do a destructive install and add my accounts, I have to go about un-linking all my Facebook contacts from my Outlook contacts. I want no linking, but there is no way to stop it.

My other complaint is that I have to remember to un-check local contacts whenever I add a new one. I only want them created under the Outlook account. If I don't un-check, it creates a local and an Outlook contact - linked. We should be able to choose a default action, and disable linking entirely. I am very careful about how my contacts are set up, and I don't like interference from "links".
    andreirad, Omnitech and cbzeduser like this.
    05-21-14 07:03 AM
    @Deckard79

See this KB article, explaining exactly your problem. Tho solution is not provided yet!

KB33764-SMS messages appear to come from the wrong contact when received on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    That does sound similar, yes.

I think the general logic needs to improve, where if there is no exact join, the contacts app should make no attempt to join by default. It's trying to be too clever.

Posted via CB10
    cbzeduser likes this.
    05-21-14 07:15 AM
    That is a little more than similar, it's like there is no contact sense.
    Does a folder need a conscious before it acts.
    Like how many times does one need to know a contacts address, once, twice at the most, but forty or eighty.
    Am hoping I got a little while before I receive dementia, Please

jtvberry
    cbzeduser likes this.
    05-21-14 08:54 AM
    I have tried linking my contacts a few times. Right now every contact is listing 3-4 times.
    05-21-14 09:01 AM

On the second, are you referring duplicate numbers shown when you click and open a contact? BB10 shows mobile number twice; one to call and another to text.
    Twice on mobile, twice on text mobile, twice e-mail address. I've found this when I had to compose an email to the contact. In the address picker I get same email address twice.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 10:21 AM
    Jtv1 I think that's a sync issue... I know once i've edited a gmail contact on the phone and later when I checked the contact was gone (both on the phone and Gmail contacts on the website)..

Horror...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Sergiu1337; 05-21-14 at 02:19 PM.
    moody likes this.
    05-21-14 10:25 AM
    Rules as per KB articles:
    1. Any local contact created in device will be written on writable sources like say outlook.com address book.
    2. Because of point no 1, in Outlook.com as well as on device, you can see two similar contacts. One created on BB10 device and written in outlook.com and the other vice-versa.
    3. So make any one of them as your default preference to avoid duplicate.
    4. Any manually linked or unlinked files will not merge again automatically. ie if any automatic merging logic is over ruled manually, those contact will never merge again automatically.
    5. One of the merging basis is mobile number field. If same mobile number is available in two contacts, it will be merged.

Actions: Day 1
    a) Switched off contact syncing in outlook email setup on device. All outllok.com contacts removed.
    b) Since such option not available for Facebook, Twitter and Linked In, deleted all accounts. All contacts linked to those services removed.
    c) Clear Local contacts is initiated.
    d) Status: 0 contacts and one BBM contact,
    e) again switched on outlook.com account’s contact syncing.
    f) Slowly one by one outlook.com account contacts appeared in Z10
    g) Total of 385 contacts transferred. Verified with outlook.com website which showed 386. So one contact is missing in Z10.
    h) As per rule no 5 found out in one father-daughter duo, I have entered same mobile number in outlook.com (It is a fluke as I know that the father used to have a lot of mobile numbers)
    i) Don't want to break the link as it may affect further social account linking as per rule no 4.
    j) First corrected outlook.com database by eliminating the number from father account.
    k) Waiting for the 386th contact to appear in device.
    l) Observation 1: First Last display priority is changed to last first automatically. Reversed that by going into settings in contact app.
    m) Observation 2: In Outlook.com I have already linked social contacts. Some outlook.com contacts have social data in that and some are 100% social contacts. On device both have not been transferred. So only native outlook.com contact information is transferred to device.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-21-14 12:14 PM
    Jesus...Lord have mercy ^^^
    05-21-14 05:05 PM
    Guys I have had my contacts on my Hotmail account since the conception of Hotmail, and I've had zero problems with bb10 synching with it.

I've never used "local contacts" and don't see the reason why one does.

Please ide love to know what kind of problems do you guys face.

I have 736 contacts fully cleaned up with emails phones accounts etc.

I don't think I belong to the Uber connected category but close to a thousand is fair I guess.

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    This!

Dont use local contacts if you dont know what you're doing. Copy all your contacts on to your email. Delete all local contacts then sync the contacts app with the contacts from your email. Just sync 1 emails contacts to your phone. Thats it.

I know its an inconvenience but there are rules to setting the contacts right once done it works fine.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    05-21-14 06:27 PM
    It sounds like there are two solutions for us CONsumers:
    1. Use Local Contacts exclusively without syncing or linking including BBLink.
    2. Use external source (Outlook.com seems to be the least problematic) exclusively without syncing to Local Contacts or BBLink.

Dunno if the PROsumers with BES/Exchange are having the same problems. If they are, maybe focusing on the Enterprise, and having them screaming may (I'm hopeful here) just get this fixed.
    05-21-14 07:01 PM
    2. Use external source (Outlook.com seems to be the least problematic) exclusively without syncing to Local Contacts or BBLink.

Dunno if the PROsumers with BES/Exchange are having the same problems. If they are, maybe focusing on the Enterprise, and having them screaming may (I'm hopeful here) just get this fixed.
    Both are fine unless you are linking social contacts.
    While signing in to Facebook, twitter etc, there is no provision to stop contact syncing. So automatically those contacts populate in contact AND linking starts. Also there is no way you can stop this linking. Only way dont sign in Facebook etc.. lame
    Maybe you have to use browser or third party apps to view social media.
    The only option they have given is "not display selected account contacts" within contact app. But by then, the damage is already done.
    Omnitech and BallRockReaper like this.
    05-21-14 11:23 PM
    I've just come into work and opened my Internet access.
    Lo and behold, I don't have one but management do use our beloved bb, so am presuming enterprise.
    Emails, sending and receiving problems.

I am hoping that's all it is but management don't ever tell the full story, do they.

jtvberry
    05-22-14 05:00 AM
    There use to be option to not sync contacts when you initially set up social accounts. I don't rem if it was there when I installed beta FB.

But contacts still show up in app unless toggled off. And right now on 10.3 the toggle won't remain in off position.

I know what I'm doing when entering contact for first time. Yet I have same issues if doubles, triples, quad duplications. I use Gmail strictly for contacts on my phone, otherwise I don't use Gmail at all. Not even for email. So only changes I make are via device.

And I've cleaned up contacts once already since I restored after install. Last night a few had begun to duplicate again.

And as others has reported, I've had them disappear as well. Luckily I still have my torch 9810 and was able to find on it and add back.

And it's not just names being duplicated but info inside the contact (number, email, address) being repeated over & over.

So...... even if someone doesn't know what they are doing..... I doubt they are entering same number, address, etc multiple times within the contact itself.

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    05-22-14 06:35 AM
    The linked social media is specific and sandboxed to Microsoft and Outlook.com services. That information isn't shared outside of Microsoft services/devices. You get the same results described on Android and iOS.

For social integration you'll need to enable the social media accounts on the BlackBerry (ditto with Android).
    05-22-14 07:17 AM
    Maybe try an Outlook account? I started a free Outlook.com account just for the purpose of sync'ing contacts between my BB and MS Office Outlook on my PC. I don't even use it for email. It works flawlessly. It seems many with issues are sync'ing through Gmail. It would be a good test, as you are one with issues, to see if it goes away if you change to Outlook. I would love to see the results if you are willing to try.

Edit: My message was directed at Moodyk13
    moody likes this.
    05-22-14 07:28 AM
    Thanks. My social media integration is for day 2

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 07:41 AM
    Thanks @jhimmel. You're the second person to recommend outlook.com so I'm gonna check it out.

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    05-22-14 08:00 AM
    Both are fine unless you are linking social contacts.
    While signing in to Facebook, twitter etc, there is no provision to stop contact syncing. So automatically those contacts populate in contact AND linking starts. Also there is no way you can stop this linking. Only way dont sign in Facebook etc.. lame
    Maybe you have to use browser or third party apps to view social media.
    The only option they have given is "not display selected account contacts" within contact app. But by then, the damage is already done.
    Oh, well, then there's really no problem. PROsumers don't need no stinkin' social contacts. It's not like businesses are using Facebook or LinkedIn.
    05-22-14 12:19 PM
    Oh, well, then there's really no problem. PROsumers don't need no stinkin' social contacts. It's not like businesses are using Facebook or LinkedIn.
    It's an initial nuisance, but you just un-link them. They don't re-link themselves. They need to give us the option to completely disable the linking of contacts though. Don't need it, don't want it.

Curious, does any one here LIKE the linking? And why?
    I know people who intentionally keep incorrect data in their Facebook info. Why would I want that invading my carefully crafted contact details? I mean I could always go into the separate Facebook contact info if I wanted to pull details from there. Why link?
    cbzeduser likes this.
    05-22-14 12:31 PM
    That's probably too broad a question, it's too subjective. Different people have different ideas of what needs to improve.
    Better to indicate what you're looking for in terms of improvement or enhancement.
    Any changes would be improvement. LOL
    05-22-14 02:47 PM
177 1234 ...