Has anyone considered that the entire OS "whitelist" setup used to prevent OS downgrading might actually have been put in place so BlackBerry could remove the runtime and then prevent people from downgrading to an OS with it still intact? Many on this forum say that in order for BlackBerry to release a full android phone, they can not keep the runtime in bb10.

I would use caution, before installing any updates after the slider is released! Definitely go into options and turn off auto download / install!.

Posted via CB10
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    09-24-15 08:32 AM
    No, it's for security reasons. You can still downgrade, just not to any build that doesn't include the new BlackBerry Protect feature that doesn't allow a security wipe without the BBID password. If your device gets lost or stolen, it won't be able to be used by anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 08:38 AM
    No, it's for security reasons. You can still downgrade, just not to any build that doesn't include the new BlackBerry Protect feature that doesn't allow a security wipe without the BBID password. If your device gets lost or stolen, it won't be able to be used by anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    So they say...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:52 AM
    You can't downgrade below 10.3.2 because the US government, with all it's control freak issues, forced US carriers to install a kill switch in ALL smart phone devices, not just BlackBerry phones. I'm assuming other countries have also adapted the kill switch, or BlackBerry just thought it best to keep the entire world from moving backwards. Companies do that all the time with software to keep everyone current. The runtime is an emulator, emulators aren't illegal and Google has no written docs saying they can't be used, since android is technically open source software one can do what they please with it.
    The things required for a full Google Android phone are much more petty, forcing a Google search bar on the home screen, having Google set as default for search engines, having googles apps front and center and 3rd party apps be buried in the app drawer.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-24-15 11:44 AM
    You can't downgrade below 10.3.2 because the US government, with all it's control freak issues, forced US carriers to install a kill switch in ALL smart phone devices, not just BlackBerry phones. I'm assuming other countries have also adapted the kill switch, or BlackBerry just thought it best to keep the entire world from moving backwards. Companies do that all the time with software to keep everyone current. The runtime is an emulator, emulators aren't illegal and Google has no written docs saying they can't be used, since android is technically open source software one can do what they please with it.
    The things required for a full Google Android phone are much more petty, forcing a Google search bar on the home screen, having Google set as default for search engines, having googles apps front and center and 3rd party apps be buried in the app drawer.

There are a lot of people on this forum who disagree with you on the idea that BlackBerry can keep the runtime and make full android phones

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 01:21 PM
    There are a lot of people on this forum who disagree with you on the idea that BlackBerry can keep the runtime and make full android phones

Posted via CB10
    There's plenty of people in this world that disagree with me on a plethora of topics, I don't let them bother me.
    If there's actual proof of this then I haven't seen it.

FCSC and Stef007 like this.
    09-24-15 01:28 PM
    Yes. Definitely a conspiracy. Not only that but blackberry is actually the most popular manufacturer of phones globally. The media conspires to make them look like a company about to go under. Worse still, the media conspires to make them look like a bunch of idiots who have no respect for their employees or customers....

Oh... Hang on a minute...
    kbz1960 and StephanieMaks like this.
    09-24-15 01:33 PM
    Yes. Definitely a conspiracy. Not only that but blackberry is actually the most popular manufacturer of phones globally. The media conspires to make them look like a company about to go under. Worse still, the media conspires to make them look like a bunch of idiots who have no respect for their employees or customers....

Oh... Hang on a minute...
    As opposed to every other corporation that treats their employees fair, pays them well, gives them benefits and doesn't **** them over to make the CEO more $ in profits than they pay their entire staff in wages in one year?

09-24-15 01:42 PM
    As opposed to every other corporation that treats their employees fair, pays them well, gives them benefits and doesn't **** them over to make the CEO more $ in profits than they pay their entire staff in wages in one year?

Exactly - that's what I am saying. They are actually a brilliant company. Can't wait for them to kick Apple out of the market. Only a matter of time now...
    muindor and Lawmen23 like this.
    09-24-15 01:55 PM
    Exactly - that's what I am saying. They are actually a brilliant company. Can't wait for them to kick Apple out of the market. Only a matter of time now...
    Tick....tick.....tick....

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2239
    muindor likes this.
    09-24-15 03:16 PM
    I would use caution, before installing any updates after the slider is released! Definitely go into options and turn off auto download / install!.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't matter. I had my auto-update off and they still pushed the 10.3.2 update to me. The only reason it didn't install overnight was because I didn't have enough memory free. If you want to prevent forced OS updates then you need to keep your memory close to full at all times unfortunately.
    09-24-15 06:44 PM
    So they say...

Posted via CB10
    Hey: there's a special on tin foil at Food Lion! Be sure to pick more up.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 05:50 AM