Didn't we already have custom ringtones and notifications for contacts
    I don't know why everyone is so excited about getting it.
    Please enlighten me.
    If I am editing a contact, there is a button for selecting a custom phone ringtone and a separate one for notifications.
    04-29-13 02:01 PM
    Didn't we already have custom ringtones and notifications for contacts
    I don't know why everyone is so excited about getting it.
    Please enlighten me.
    If I am editing a contact, there is I a button for selecting a custom phone ringtone and a separate one for notifications.
    Not 100% positive, but I seem to recall that some versions were pretty limited on these functions. As updates are pushing, people are probably getting features they either didn't have or missing data, previously. That's usually a recipe for buzz.
    05-04-13 10:05 AM
    The critical difference is account based notification. there used to be one setting for email, one for sms etc. Sure, you could enter a different one for each individual, but it was a tone or a single vibration.

Now you can set one vibration pattern, e.g. one vibration for your Gmail account, another, e.g. three vibrations, for your outlook account etc. This allows you to know what account received an email without taking your phone out of your pocket. You can have one account ring and another vibrate. This is a huge usability advantage, especially when one account may be much more important than others.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-04-13 10:11 AM
    The critical difference is account based notification. there used to be one setting for email, one for sms etc. Sure, you could enter a different one for each individual, but it was a tone or a single vibration.

Now you can set one vibration pattern, e.g. one vibration for your Gmail account, another, e.g. three vibrations, for your outlook account etc. This allows you to know what account received an email without taking your phone out of your pocket. You can have one account ring and another vibrate. This is a huge usability advantage, especially when one account may be much more important than others.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the input! That's something I know folks were upset with in the rollout release.
    05-04-13 10:25 AM
    I see.
    I use it differently I guess.
    Mine is usually silent (to avoid annoying the wifey) except for text and BBM and they are both different tones.
    I can see why some would want more though.
    Thanks for the insight.
    05-24-13 07:26 AM