10-08-15 02:34 PM
    And again, Chen confirms that the security of Blackphone is superior to BlackBerry on Android. That takes a pair, I am impressed with his admission.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 02:37 PM
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Oh, wait. Might... in a year? Call us back in 12 months!! Resume your normal activity.
    10-08-15 02:38 PM
    Read it. Chen confirms single OS support.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 02:41 PM
    Click bait. I'm tired of these threads that misquote or twist what is said. FFS. If someone misquoted me, I'd lose my tish.

He clearly said it depends on the business. At no time was it "confirmed".

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 02:48 PM
    Clickbait?

"Chen also said that he plans to merge his company�s BB10 OS with Android in the near future. The idea is*to bring all the advanced security features of BlackBerry�s BB10 OS over to Android on BlackBerry devices, so that his company would only have to manage one mobile OS."

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-08-15 03:03 PM
    "Chen also said that he plans to merge his company’s BB10 OS with Android in the near future. The idea is*to bring all the advanced security features of BlackBerry’s BB10 OS over to Android on BlackBerry devices, so that his company would only have to manage one mobile OS."
    Emphasis added, for anyone who may still be in denial.
    JeepBB and lift like this.
    10-08-15 04:03 PM
    Clickbait?

"Chen also said that he plans to merge his company’s BB10 OS with Android in the near future. The idea is*to bring all the advanced security features of BlackBerry’s BB10 OS over to Android on BlackBerry devices, so that his company would only have to manage one mobile OS."

Posted via CB10
    He didn't quote Chen. From the quotes from Crackberry news, its implied that he didn't give such an answer. He states that two more releases are being made and that needs to support governments. Nothing about confirmed plans of moving to Android and killing off BB10, only possibility if needed (not enough business). The phrasing of the article makes it sound like he doesn't understand himself ("porting" rather than merging would be the word I'd use, since the OS's are clearly NOT getting merged).

We'll see when the full video is posted to see what Chen actually said. It annoys me when writer's paraphrase and don't provide an actual quote for something so important to be right about. It raises red flags to me that the message is getting twisted intentionally when an actual quote isn't used. I see it all the time with articles posted on Extratorrents (which are just stolen from other sites).
    10-08-15 04:19 PM
    He didn't quote Chen. From the quotes from Crackberry news, its implied that he didn't give such an answer. He states that two more releases are being made and that needs to support governments. Nothing about confirmed plans of moving to Android and killing off BB10, only possibility if needed (not enough business). The phrasing of the article makes it sound like he doesn't understand himself ("porting" rather than merging would be the word I'd use, since the OS's are clearly NOT getting merged).

We'll see when the full video is posted to see what Chen actually said. It annoys me when writer's paraphrase and don't provide an actual quote for something so important to be right about. It raises red flags to me that the message is getting twisted intentionally when an actual quote isn't used. I see it all the time with articles posted on Extratorrents (which are just stolen from other sites).
    O M F. You still think that BB10 is an option for BlackBerry? No. They stopped developing new features for it almost a year ago. They are not going to make making any new BB10 phones.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-08-15 04:48 PM
    O M F. You still think that BB10 is an option for BlackBerry? No. They stopped developing new features for it almost a year ago. They are not going to make making any new BB10 phones.
    Depends on what you mean by "option". Do I think there is long term plans for BB10? No. Do I believe in accurately reporting what is said? Yes. In other words, I don't believe there is a final decision made until the Priv is released and they know what kind of reception it gets. So "confirming" something before the critical decision point seems silly and stupid. You make the best decisions when you can delay them as long as you can and have the most data to make the best decision from.

You keep ignoring the fact that the industries that truly need a BB10 phone, DON'T NEED NEW FEATURES. It's a super locked down device. It makes calls, it has Internet, it has Work spaces, etc. Adding more stuff just means more QA and security posts to cover. The fact that Windows XP ran for so many years beyond its intended lifespan tells me there is a need for a product that doesn't need ongoing changes to keep up with the latest and greatest. There's still tens of millions on BB7. If it works today, don't fsck with it and let it run til it dies. It's the consumer market that is always wanting the latest and greatest features/updates/widgets. It's the government/enterprise market that wants to do the work once and profit. If BlackBerry can still provide security updates and make enough on government/enterprise sales, then they can keep it going until the wheels fall off. They have a bunch of parts and inventory they need to get rid of, after all. There is such a thing as "main" and "extended" support. It's simply just changing the BB10 support from "main" to "extended". So 3 years main, 3 years extended would be better than any other mobile OS. There could be a niche for that.

I get the impression you expect some new revolutionary feature every release or its NFG. It's a friggin phone! The phone works, the Internet works, etc. If it does what you need to do today, wtf else do you need from it other than security updates and bugfixes? I can't think of a must-have feature that I'm missing right now (FYI, I don't give a crap about missing QT5).
    10-08-15 05:36 PM
    . There's still tens of millions on BB7. If it works today, don't fsck with it and let it run til it dies. It's the consumer market that is always wanting the latest and greatest ...
    Exactly. I also use a Bold for when my daily driver Passport just doesn't work -- not only was I able to tech support for it very recently, but remember when push email BIS was going to be abandoned after a year..? Mine STILL works!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    acovey and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-08-15 07:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure by "merge", he means that he would like to bring the BB10 features to Android. Then there will be no need for BB10 except for those enterprise and government customers that just want phones that do the very basic stuff.
    10-08-15 07:59 PM
    I'm sorry but if all devices in future will be running Android OS I'm jumping ship to apple in the future. I can't stand android OS. I really cant

"Once you go Black you'll never go back"
    10-08-15 10:16 PM
    Is it too late for Mike L to buy the company? It's even cheaper now!
    10-08-15 10:43 PM
    I don't know why these people are posting topics like this when there is not one confirmed message from BlackBerry itself. Are they the same people who's been telling the world BlackBerry is dead? Hey mods, are you not tired of seeing the same threads proliferating this forum? Or are you just letting this thing happen because you're lazy cleaning up this non sense topic?

Posted via CB10
    powereds, David Tyler and Joshu42 like this.
    10-08-15 11:09 PM
    sometimes I wonder if people get paid to instigate hoaxes...
    10-08-15 11:30 PM
    Click bait. I'm tired of these threads that misquote or twist what is said. FFS. If someone misquoted me, I'd lose my tish.

He clearly said it depends on the business. At no time was it "confirmed".

Posted via CB10
    I concur wholeheartedly! The spin doctors are out in full force.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 11:34 PM
    Clickbait?

Sorry, you can't claim to have a secure phone when the first thing users have to do is sign in with a F$*k%Ng Google account...
    10-09-15 12:38 AM
    Moderator, Pls delete fake threads like this. Seems like click marketing.

 Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS6 ~> skipped OS7 ~>  Z3 (Airtel / STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    10-09-15 01:40 AM
    It's not a fake thread - it's a link to an actual interview with Chen, did you all read that part?

Just because something on these forums does not suit everyone's confirmation bias, that does not make it fake, nor a reason to remove it. Furthermore, removing the threa doesn't remove the source of the interview with Chen, the content of what Chen said and nor that he said it.

Go to the website citing these things and tell them they're lying in the interview.

Calling me and this thread 'fake' and crying for a moderator to mke the forum conform only to your worldview rather than go elsewhere to the source site concerned to tackle it is just lazy.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 01:59 AM
    Fake and click bait! Bah!!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789
    10-09-15 02:34 AM
    Dumb and overly dramatic thread title. All that was confirmed is that John Chen would like it if all BB10 users bought into the Android platform. Actual decisions will be made after the Priv launch.

It is very possible that there will be no more new BB10 phones unless market demand increases substantially. It's also possible that core BB10 support may continue indefinitely with security patches and bug fixes but no new features or Android runtime updates, and with very little 3rd party developer support. These possibilities currently seem like the most likely scenarios, though others are possible.

The rest is opinion and inference. Moderators please moderate and change/lock threads as needed to maintain order.

Posted via CB10
    Notna Nosyel likes this.
    10-09-15 03:33 AM
    Chen's comment on Code Mobile Conference:

Chen, speaking here Thursday at the Code Mobile conference, said BlackBerry's hardware business needs to turn a profit next year. "Otherwise, I have to think twice about what I do there," he said.

His comments start the clock on how quickly BlackBerry needs to move to turn around its ailing smartphone business. If the company's hardware business fails to deliver, it could mark the end of the BlackBerry smartphone.

Souce CNET: http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-...ar-for-phones/

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    10-09-15 03:50 AM
    Well then, to satisfy nit-pickers, why not rename it to "End of all BlackBerry Devices Confirmed for 12 Roadmap if Sales Don't Have MASSIVE Turnaround"

The level of defence to a technology brand where the CEO's words actually spell it out and the fans still won't take it is just staggering.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 05:21 AM
    You keep ignoring the fact that the industries that truly need a BB10 phone, DON'T NEED NEW FEATURES. It's a super locked down device. It makes calls, it has Internet, it has Work spaces, etc. Adding more stuff just means more QA and security posts to cover. The fact that Windows XP ran for so many years beyond its intended lifespan tells me there is a need for a product that doesn't need ongoing changes to keep up with the latest and greatest. There's still tens of millions on BB7. If it works today, don't fsck with it and let it run til it dies. It's the consumer market that is always wanting the latest and greatest features/updates/widgets. It's the government/enterprise market that wants to do the work once and profit. If BlackBerry can still provide security updates and make enough on government/enterprise sales, then they can keep it going until the wheels fall off. They have a bunch of parts and inventory they need to get rid of, after all. There is such a thing as "main" and "extended" support. It's simply just changing the BB10 support from "main" to "extended". So 3 years main, 3 years extended would be better than any other mobile OS. There could be a niche for that.

I get the impression you expect some new revolutionary feature every release or its NFG. It's a friggin phone! The phone works, the Internet works, etc. If it does what you need to do today, wtf else do you need from it other than security updates and bugfixes? I can't think of a must-have feature that I'm missing right now (FYI, I don't give a crap about missing QT5).
    Chen has already said that new BB10 phones are a no go as he says it is too costly for drivers. So how are industries going to get new BB10 phones? So just like BBOS phones. What you see or have in hand is what you get so BB10 phones are not an option.

As an enterprise IT manager and software developer, my requirements are for good reporting services on mobile devices. The lack of Qt5, full support of SVG, poor performance of JavaScript on BB10 platform make reporting services a no go. They half cooked the device in terms of graphics and reporting. Do you think that enterprise/government don't need reports in their custom apps?
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    10-09-15 06:25 AM
190 123 ...