I'm on an unlocked Passport on OS10.3.2.2789 and was wondering about installing basic Cobalt APK's.

But as I read through the many posts on,

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/

and there seems to be alot of people with issue and lots of talks about updates and bugs for different Android Apps.

Is Cobalt solid or for tinkerers who don't mind working through bugs? What will Cobalt do?

I don't really know what I'll use it for, so far most google apps that I've downloaded through Amazon work OK, even some that say google services are required but still work. I would like to access Google Maps with full function and features directly from my Passport.
    11-08-15 09:14 AM
    If I can do it...anyone can. I suppose though I am a tinkerer.

The results are worth it. I now have the Google Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:21 AM
    If I can do it...anyone can. I suppose though I am a tinkerer.The results are worth it. I now have the Google Play Store.
    Posted via CB10
    I know I can do it I think, download APK's and side load with sachesi?

How is having Google Play Store running via Cobalt different for through Snap. (One thing I see is that many Apps that I get through Snap get hung up on needing G-services and will not work, yet, sometimes, the same App downloaded from Amazon, even though they sometimes give a G-Services required will still work.)
    11-08-15 09:27 AM
    Have you used a lot of apks? I strongly suggest downloading Ghost Commander also. Many of those apps do not close and keep running. I have experienced a lot of significant battery drain. I have actually given up on using apks. For me, it was just not a long term solution.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:31 AM
    Have you used a lot of apks? I strongly suggest downloading Ghost Commander also. Many of those apps do not close and keep running. I have experienced a lot of significant battery drain. I have actually given up on using apks. For me, it was just not a long term solution.

Posted via CB10

I have not noticed any battery drain but I will watch for it to see if any apps that are not in current use are draining the battery. Unlike my dead Playbook, My Z10 is now a very useful device after Cobalt.
    11-08-15 01:41 PM
    I know I can do it I think, download APK's and side load with sachesi?

How is having Google Play Store running via Cobalt different for through Snap. (One thing I see is that many Apps that I get through Snap get hung up on needing G-services and will not work, yet, sometimes, the same App downloaded from Amazon, even though they sometimes give a G-Services required will still work.)
    1. With the play Store, you can purchase paid apps within the app instead of having to make a purchase in you web browser, return to Snap, find it, download it, etc

2. Even though Snap is native and Play Store is an Android app, I have found that I get update notifications for my apps much more reliably from Play Store.

3. Snap is no longer supported and while it seems to still work, that may not be forever.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    11-12-15 08:21 PM
    I tried this and it didn't help me. All my apps that I like are upgraded

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 01:38 AM
    I tried this and it didn't help me. All my apps that I like are upgraded

Posted via CB10
    Have they all stopped working?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 05:30 AM
    I installed Cobalt's apks and everything works great. I did find however that the Play store apk drained the battery, so I only install it now periodically to update my apps, or if I'm looking for a specific new app.

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    11-13-15 06:50 AM
    I installed Cobalt's apks and everything works great. I did find however that the Play store apk drained the battery, so I only install it now periodically to update my apps, or if I'm looking for a specific new app.

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    Did you turn off auto loading of apk updates in Google Play Store settings. Anyway, you should discuss your issue on the Cobalt thread. They are very helpful.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 07:30 AM
    I started playing with this yesterday. I've gotten a surprising amount of stuff to work. I think it's worth it. The writing is on the wall, but this will breath a bit more life into your BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 04:28 AM
    I downloaded the cobalt play store straight to my phone and installed it straight from the phone. Was easy and didn't require any real effort. I don't use many android apps but so far all the ones I do work without an issue.

Z30STA100-6/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 05:07 AM
    Read through it carefully and get all the files you need then follow the instructions as they have been laid out and you will be fine. Got everything I needed first try. No Problem

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 12:50 AM
    Absolutely worth it when you need or want an app that requires Google Play Store. I would classify myself as a tinkerer, but Cobalt has made it simple. Can't emphasize that you must clearly read the posts. All the information you need is there.

The three apps that I use the most are Netflix, Hulu, and Plex. All have been patched and work extremely well with the Chromecast Dongle. If someone manages to get Google Play Movies and TV working, I will be truly grateful.

Adam

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:37 AM
    Slowly though I am getting getting some APK's that are not as responsive as they used to be. Definitely only a solution for another year or so

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 01:51 PM
    Unlike my dead Playbook, My Z10 is now a very useful device after Cobalt.
    Unlike you, my playbook is alive and well. I use it nightly to view documentaries on You tube using Stereo Tube and general web browsing Via Fast Tube. Fast Tube may not be everyone's cup of tea as you will need to turn flash on for those site's that require it. On the other hand, Stereo Tube is a gift from heaven above. I watched over 2-1/2 hours on Rommel last night with nary a glitch. Personally I think it was a $1.99 well spent.

In My Humble Opinion you can't beat the video and speaker quality of it.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    11-16-15 09:40 AM