Hi guys,

I’ve performed a research to find out why some people are able to get working Chromecast on their BlackBerry 10 smartphones while others are unable.

I can confirm that Chromecast functionality is tied to the operating system you are using, and also this depends on which application you want to use.

I tried with YouTube 5.2.27 which is the last version that can be used without needing Google Play services. Also I tried with Netflix 3.4.1 build 1506 and 3.4.2 build 1519. Smartphones used were STL100-3 Z10 and a STA100-5 Z30.

I need to say that even both applications can cast media; I was unable to make them working together (and with this I don’t mean streaming media at the same time with both applications). I think there is an operating system limitation which allows the YouTube application cast media but not for the Netflix application at the same time and vice versa.

At the end, I ended up with the following information:

OS 10.3.0.296 (leaked) -> Netflix shows the cast icon; however, YouTube doesn’t shown the cast icon.
    OS 10.2.1.2273 -> Netflix shows the cast icon; however, YouTube doesn’t shown the cast icon.
    OS 10.2.1.2141 -> YouTube shows the cast icon; however, Netflix doesn’t shown the cast icon.
    OS 10.2.1.1925 -> YouTube shows the cast icon; however, Netflix doesn’t shown the cast icon.

As conclusion, if you want to use a Chromecast device, you‘ll need to install a proper operating system. If you prefer to use YouTube, then install a OS version <= 2141. In the other hand, if you prefer to use Netflix, then install a OS version >= 2273.

You can download the YouTube and Netflix applications from the following links:

YouTube 5.2.27 : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7VN...NRWHEwNUk/edit
    Netflix 3.4.1: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...GRtY3pRVTR4Qnc

Hope this info helps you guys. Also, it would be great if people with more technical skills could dig on the OS files to see what makes OS 2273 different from 2141 in the way that both applications cannot work together for casting purposes.

Special thanks to Nearsoft who provided me the Chromecast for testing purposes (for more info please visit www.nearsoft.com).

Thank you!
    potatoheadguy likes this.
    06-05-14 01:57 PM
    Thanks for all your work, figuring out what hoop you need to jump through to get either Netflix or YouTube to work with Chromecast.

And people think there is still an App Gap.....
    fernalx likes this.
    06-05-14 02:15 PM
    Chromecast can work without Google Play
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=935472

Developer of AutoCrop Scanner
    potatoheadguy likes this.
    06-05-14 02:55 PM
    Recently an app was launched in BlackBerry World that lets casting media directly from the BB internet browser. Right now it is pretty limited in options but makes the work. Here is the link:

Cast for BlackBerry - BlackBerry World

Cheers!
    Last edited by fernalx; 07-30-14 at 05:23 PM.
    07-08-14 05:39 PM