So Chromecast app on my BlackBerry can't find my Chromecast.

The Chrome browser doesn't work. What I want to do is stream NBC, ABC and all the networks that show full episodes on their websites.

Is lack of Google Play Services what is causing this?

Has anyone gotten Chromecast to work with PlayBook?

I have a Nook. I might try that. The only thing it works with so far that I own is my macbook.

I may have to get an android phone at some point if BlackBerry can't do everything other phones can do. And trust me it hurts to say that.

I want to be able to block calls. Use Chromecast. Have a contacts app that doesn't screw up.

I am going to wait it out and see if they bring Google services and see what future updates bring.

Any Chromecast advice would be welcomed.

via CB10 using a Z10 / STL100-3 / RFK121LW / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    04-03-14 11:55 PM
    Chromecast on BB10 and PlayBook is useless at this point. The only app that you can really get working is YouTube because, for some reason, Google seemed to code that differently. AllCast did work for a bit, but then Google changed the allowed API usage and once they did that it was broken. The stars, in this case being the BlackBerry Android runtime and Google's API's, are not aligned at this point and time and may never be.
    Philip Stenjajev and Doggerz like this.
    04-04-14 01:39 AM
    Chromecast on BB10 and PlayBook is useless at this point. The only app that you can really get working is YouTube because, for some reason, Google seemed to code that differently. AllCast did work for a bit, but then Google changed the allowed API usage and once they did that it was broken. The stars, in this case being the BlackBerry Android runtime and Google's API's, are not aligned at this point and time and may never be.
    Not what I wanted to hear but I thank you for taking the time to reply.

04-04-14 04:56 AM
    So Chromecast app on my BlackBerry can't find my Chromecast.

The Chrome browser doesn't work. What I want to do is stream NBC, ABC and all the networks that show full episodes on their websites.

Is lack of Google Play Services what is causing this?

Has anyone gotten Chromecast to work with PlayBook?

I have a Nook. I might try that. The only thing it works with so far that I own is my macbook.

I may have to get an android phone at some point if BlackBerry can't do everything other phones can do. And trust me it hurts to say that.

I want to be able to block calls. Use Chromecast. Have a contacts app that doesn't screw up.

I am going to wait it out and see if they bring Google services and see what future updates bring.

Any Chromecast advice would be welcomed.

I believe it is better to go with a universal streamer, not something that is closely tied with a specific platform. Chromecast is nothing but a wireless HDMI cable that requires Android and Wifi to work.
    I know Z10 doesn't have miracast but with Push2TV or other cheaper Miracast dongles, you can do the same thing with Z30. Heck, you can even buy a used Playbook for $50 to $70 and use it as your multimedia center with an HDMI cable since Z10 will support bridge and you can use Z10 as a remote for PB.
    04-04-14 09:59 AM
    I believe it is better to go with a universal streamer, not something that is closely tied with a specific platform. Chromecast is nothing but a wireless HDMI cable that requires Android and Wifi to work.
    I know Z10 doesn't have miracast but with Push2TV or other cheaper Miracast dongles, you can do the same thing with Z30. Heck, you can even buy a used Playbook for $50 to $70 and use it as your multimedia center with an HDMI cable since Z10 will support bridge and you can use Z10 as a remote for PB.
    I'm getting a Z30 - so I will be able to get a Mitacast dongle that will stream from any browser website with that?
    Any recommendations?

Thanks!

04-04-14 10:10 AM
    I'm getting a Z30 - so I will be able to get a Mitacast dongle that will stream from any browser website with that?
    Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Miracast will stream whatever you see on your Z30 screen, and at landscape mode it will fill the HDTV screen.
    Pair that with a bluetooth mouse and you got yourself a full featured computer on your HD TV, unlike Chromecast which only support google apps and a few others.
    You can look at Push2TV devices from Netgear, you can try getting them used for about $40 or less. (They cost ~$50 new)
    04-04-14 10:20 AM
    Miracast will stream whatever you see on your Z30 screen, and at landscape mode it will fill the HDTV screen.
    Pair that with a bluetooth mouse and you got yourself a full featured computer on your HD TV, unlike Chromecast which only support google apps and a few others.
    You can look at Push2TV devices from Netgear, you can try getting them used for about $40 or less. (They cost ~$50 new)
    Can I sit with my z30 and use it like a remote control ? Kind of like what Chromecast is suppose to do?

04-04-14 10:34 AM
    Can I sit with my z30 and use it like a remote control ? Kind of like what Chromecast is suppose to do?

With Z30, I believe there is a presentation mode, but I don't think that extends to mircast. It just mirrors what you see on your Z30 screen, so you can just touch it as you normally would and when you don't need to control it you can just turn off the Z30 screen and display will continue on the TV.

Otherwise I think you should start a different thread asking other miracast users for their experience and with the specific questions you have.
    The remote function works best with Playbook because then you can use your phone and playbook does the processing, you can take a call while playbook continues to playback the movie/etc.. That's a whole different topic not related to miracast.
    Doggerz likes this.
    04-04-14 01:28 PM

I did not read the topic yet, here is a start, just saw this in Z30 section:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ew-z30-920696/
    04-04-14 01:50 PM
    I did not read the topic yet, here is a start, just saw this in Z30 section:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ew-z30-920696/
    Thanks again for the info. Means a lot that you took the time. Peace

04-04-14 11:58 PM