Do the math on that.
    There is no math required. Such is the arrogance of a CEO who thinks he is smarter than he really is.

Blackberry's problem is way simpler... In fact 5th grade simple.

No one ever knew that BB10 even existed. And when no one knows you exist... There is exactly zero chance of success.

It really is that simple.
    Doggerz and Vistaus like this.
    01-11-16 03:38 PM
    There is no math required. Such is the arrogance of a CEO who thinks he is smarter than he really is.

Blackberry's problem is way simpler... In fact 5th grade simple.

No one ever knew that BB10 even existed. And when no one knows you exist... There is exactly zero chance of success.

It really is that simple.
    Agree with that

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-11-16 03:49 PM
    BlackBerry : will you code your app for BB10 and support it?

Devs: No.

BlackBerry : pretty please, with $10,000 on top??

Devs: I SAID NO.

(true story, circa 2013)

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    How many of the people who have been saying this are actually developers? It would cost me much more than 10K to develop an app that isn't a simple fart app. By the time you learn now to program for BlackBerry 10 and design a good app, 10K would be a drop in the bucket. It's a nice offering, but It wouldn't entice me to the platform.

What BlackBerry had to do was give 6-7 figures to the big name apps for the rights/assistance to develop for that app. Then BlackBerry needed an internal team to develop the apps. Then they would have actually had the big name apps and then sales and then smaller developers would come on board.

BlackBerry from before and even with Chen don't understand the app market and what it takes to get developers. I think Heins did and they did try to change the culture, but it is not back to the old RIM and they don't care about developers and it shows from a developers perspective.
    01-11-16 04:00 PM
    A sad day that I thought would never come, not to mention all my friends are in shock.
    I started with the Storm (loved the click), went to the Torch followed by the Z10 and finally the Z30. It was in line to be replaced by the Priv as I found my online connectivity needs were not being met with the android player. I've always touted BB, My family owns two 64GB s and three 16GB playbooks (mainly a paperweight and one operating as a dash cam and I've bought and sold BB Shares, I even made money during the plunge of BB shares.
    I've made the jump to Samsung Note 5 paired with a Gear S watch. Loving it. The watch is a fantastic toy for glancing at messages as they come in. The keyboard and Hub are superior on BB but all my online connected items just didn't work with all the options, more of get the basics with BB. Nest, Sonos and other all did the basics but I could never take full advantage of the connectivity.
    Perhaps I'll be back as security is essential in my line of work but for now I've moved to Android, only to find my friends ask why I didn't get an Iphone.....................the harassment continues - I don't buy into Iphones as there is a refusal to allow SD Cards by Apple and the same reason I would never have driven a Civic in my youth, everybody else had it, I wanted something else.
    01-11-16 04:03 PM
    How many of the people who have been saying this are actually developers? It would cost me much more than 10K to develop an app that isn't a simple fart app. By the time you learn now to program for BlackBerry 10 and design a good app, 10K would be a drop in the bucket. It's a nice offering, but It wouldn't entice me to the platform.

What BlackBerry had to do was give 6-7 figures to the big name apps for the rights/assistance to develop for that app. Then BlackBerry needed an internal team to develop the apps. Then they would have actually had the big name apps and then sales and then smaller developers would come on board.

BlackBerry from before and even with Chen don't understand the app market and what it takes to get developers. I think Heins did and they did try to change the culture, but it is not back to the old RIM and they don't care about developers and it shows from a developers perspective.
    I think he was pointing out what you're saying.
    01-11-16 04:17 PM
    A sad day that I thought would never come, not to mention all my friends are in shock.
    I started with the Storm (loved the click), went to the Torch followed by the Z10 and finally the Z30. It was in line to be replaced by the Priv as I found my online connectivity needs were not being met with the android player. I've always touted BB, My family owns two 64GB s and three 16GB playbooks (mainly a paperweight and one operating as a dash cam and I've bought and sold BB Shares, I even made money during the plunge of BB shares.
    I've made the jump to Samsung Note 5 paired with a Gear S watch. Loving it. The watch is a fantastic toy for glancing at messages as they come in. The keyboard and Hub are superior on BB but all my online connected items just didn't work with all the options, more of get the basics with BB. Nest, Sonos and other all did the basics but I could never take full advantage of the connectivity.
    Perhaps I'll be back as security is essential in my line of work but for now I've moved to Android, only to find my friends ask why I didn't get an Iphone.....................the harassment continues - I don't buy into Iphones as there is a refusal to allow SD Cards by Apple and the same reason I would never have driven a Civic in my youth, everybody else had it, I wanted something else.
    You wanted something no one else had so you bought a ---- Samsung????
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-11-16 04:49 PM
    You wanted something no one else had so you bought a ---- Samsung????
    LLLLLLOOOOOLLLLLLL

Sorry...this is quite funny. A Samsung?!??

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-11-16 09:43 PM

I'm not a developer but the point is, BlackBerry offered a monetary incentive up front, in addition to what the Devs would make from sales. Google never offered up front cash, nor did Apple.

So the promise of $10,000 + app commission on BB10 could not sway developers whereas they went to IOS and Android in droves with no upfront $$ at all.

That's the power of an established ecosystem and customer base.

01-12-16 05:35 AM
    I'm not a developer but the point is, BlackBerry offered a monetary incentive up front, in addition to what the Devs would make from sales. Google never offered up front cash, nor did Apple.

So the promise of $10,000 + app commission on BB10 could not sway developers whereas they went to IOS and Android in droves with no upfront $$ at all.

That's the power of an established ecosystem and customer base.

Actually, that isn't what they offered. It was that they would top up your sales so you made a minimum of 10K. If you made 10,001$ on app sales, BlackBerry would pay you nothing.
    01-12-16 07:28 AM
    Lets say that I am still committed to my Z30 while the company comtinue to support it.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 07:50 AM
    I am actually stopping believing in the firm. If, only if, there is such a thing as p'9984 coming in 2016, it will likely be the only smartphone in the coming year. As for if they are committed to BlackBerry 10, honestly, I don't care.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 10:44 AM
    Agree. 100% agree.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-12-16 10:50 AM
    Lets say that I am still committed to my Z30 while the company comtinue to support it.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. That is my idea with Passport.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-12-16 10:52 AM
    I'm hanging on to my Passport for the foreseeable future. When my contract is up or I break the phone whichever comes first. As for what I do next largely depends on how BlackBerry handle the bb10 situation.

Seems crazy that in the last 4 years, including two PlayBook and my wife's bbos7 device I find myself yet again with an os that BlackBerry told me was the best yet and they've given up on it.

Ironically I remember when the whole PlayBook debacle was going on and I was spending many a night in the forum complaining and being told to get over it by the bb10 fans saying that with bb10 you don't need a tablet. I suggested BlackBerry could do the same with bb10 and how would they feel.

I was told it would never happen and I bought in again.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-12-16 05:56 PM
    I would like to see another BB10 device they should try something fresh and never done before another passport would be cool it was unique when it was released and still is a year later

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 06:56 PM
    I'm hanging on to my Passport for the foreseeable future. When my contract is up or I break the phone whichever comes first. As for what I do next largely depends on how BlackBerry handle the bb10 situation.

Seems crazy that in the last 4 years, including two PlayBook and my wife's bbos7 device I find myself yet again with an os that BlackBerry told me was the best yet and they've given up on it.

Ironically I remember when the whole PlayBook debacle was going on and I was spending many a night in the forum complaining and being told to get over it by the bb10 fans saying that with bb10 you don't need a tablet. I suggested BlackBerry could do the same with bb10 and how would they feel.

I was told it would never happen and I bought in again.
    So, which niche OS will you be moving to next? Sailfish? UbuntuPhone? Tizen? LuneOS? Surely not WinPhone - you wouldn't want anything so mainstream, right?

kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-16 11:00 PM
    So, which niche OS will you be moving to next? Sailfish? UbuntuPhone? Tizen? LuneOS? Surely not WinPhone - you wouldn't want anything so mainstream, right?

As much as it scares me I'm actually considering an iphone :0 I have an iphone 5 lying around, a bit of a cast off from my daughter who has to have the latest and greatest apple device when it releases. I've been that sickened with I products over the years with having to buy them for her that I haven't even tried one myself.

Thought bb10 was the os for me with the way I use my device and what's more important to me but if that's got no legs and I don't particularly like android there isn't a lot of other options.

Wouldn't mind Ubuntu phone but just for messing. Couldn't use it as a daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    sandvixito likes this.
    01-13-16 03:59 PM
    Officially El Chapo has now caused more hype for Blackberry than Chen... Damn shame when the first time you see a Z30 on tv is years later on the news because a Mexican drug lord likes them.
    AWB70 and Doggerz like this.
    01-13-16 04:41 PM
    El chappo, UK rioters and world leaders all finally have something in common. They don't want anyone to know what they're up to and their phone of choice is a bb10.

Talk about a missed advertising opportunity.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-13-16 05:04 PM
    Yes. Great advertising. Drug lords and terrorist prefer BlackBerry. Shouldn't you?

Who wants to be associated with that?
    01-14-16 06:49 AM
    Yes. Great advertising. Drug lords and terrorist prefer BlackBerry. Shouldn't you?

Who cares why they use Blackberry.... The fact that the only time the Blackberry brand is mentioned on TV and products showcased is when the media rolls with a story is a damn shame. I would bet any amount of money that in countless households the following words were spoken or thought "Blackberry has new phones?!?"
    I wont be surprised if Z30 sales spike now.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-14-16 07:10 AM
    Who cares why they use Blackberry.... The fact that the only time the Blackberry brand is mentioned on TV and products showcased is when the media rolls with a story is a damn shame. I would bet any amount of money that in countless households the following words were spoken or thought "Blackberry has new phones?!?"
    I wont be surprised if Z30 sales spike now.
    Exactly!

It is so painfully obvious what problem number 1 has been for BB10. And so frustrating that guys as smart as Chen "supposedly" is can't see it.

I have 10-13 encounters a week where I get that redponse... And I'm not even looking for it.
    01-14-16 09:48 AM

It's about being associated with security not terrorists. It will always be abused by someone, doesn't mean us mere mortals shouldn't be allowed it. What goes on on my phone is my property the same as the thoughts in my mind. Being able to access it shouldn't be the privilege of a chosen few.

You forgot to mention world leaders and politicians in your list of people not to be associated with as if they were whiter than white which is a bit naive.

I'll make a deal, if Obama shows me the contents and messages of his phone I'll show him mine, deal?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 01:00 PM
    Android has a few things that just suck by design. My hope is that BlackBerry licenses to Google some of their IP for future Android OS in return for blessed Google Apps framework support. Win-win.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-14-16 02:41 PM
74 123