Is there no option to quickly change a "local" contact to a "gmail" contact?

Really miss the old days when my BB would complete a perfect sync with Outlook. I have around 1000 contacts with about a 100 work contacts. Was just given a work iphone 4S and would really like all my contacts be available on my Q10 and 4S.

Most of my Q10 contacts are all "local" contacts and I don't see an option to change them to "gmail" contacts. I noticed if I create a new "gmail" contact on my Q10 it shows nicely on the S4 so it would be a lot of work but doable if I could just change them to "gmail" contacts. .

Does anyone know of a simple way to have contacts sync between Q10 and 4S?

Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 10:38 PM
    Try this:

go into the contacts app,

long-press on one of the local contacts you want to transfer to gmail,

the menu appears on the right side of the screen

tap on "select more" and select other contacts you want to transfer to gmail

once you've selected the ones you want to transfer, tap on "copy to" and (assuming you have your gmail account set up to sync contacts on your Q10) they will all be copied to your gmail account.

Obviously this will be exceedingly tedious for 1,000 contacts. If it were me, I'd simply use BB Link to sync with MS Outlook, then use MS Outlook to export your contacts to a csv file which you could then import into gmail.

(Prepare myself for an onslaught of unhappy folks who can't get Link to work... whereas for me, Link works perfectly to sync my contacts and calendar with MS Outlook on my laptop.)
    Try this:

once you've selected the ones you want to transfer, tap on "copy to" and (assuming you have your gmail account set up to sync contacts on your Q10) they will all be copied to your gmail account.

Obviously this will be exceedingly tedious for 1,000 contacts. If it were me, I'd simply use BB Link to sync with MS Outlook, then use MS Outlook to export your contacts to a csv file which you could then import into gmail.

(Prepare myself for an onslaught of unhappy folks who can't get Link to work... whereas for me, Link works perfectly to sync my contacts and calendar with MS Outlook on my laptop.)
    07-29-14 12:31 PM
    Try this:

If no access to Outlook, do the copy to method. You can only do so many at one time. I tried 100 and it was grayed out. I dropped the number down to 80 and it worked. Takes some time to move over though. Be patient.

Posted via my Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.3253
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-29-14 01:27 PM
    If no access to Outlook, do the copy to method. You can only do so many at one time. I tried 100 and it was grayed out. I dropped the number down to 80 and it worked. Takes some time to move over though. Be patient.

Posted via my Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.3253
    Good point, Wolfee. Dunt it make ya wonder why the programmers wouldn't code that limit into the OS so if you select more items than the command can handle, it notifies you once you've reached the limit? I'll tell ya, if they worked for me, I'd expect them to catch glitches like that. But oh well.

And how about a universal "select all" command, instead of just the "select more" command.

Posted via CB10
    wolfee48 likes this.
    07-29-14 02:22 PM
    I used contactx. Export csv. Email to Gmail account. Then import the file in Gmail contacts. Works perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 04:52 PM
    Try this:

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all the info. This is exactly the answer I was looking for...never even tried the copy button!

I gave up on Link a while back and now have some duplicate contacts, etc, so was hoping to manually clean all my contacts up and have them all available through gmail.

I ran some tests, created contact on Q10 and saw it transferred to the 4S. Created contact on 4S and it transferred to Q10.

Has anyone else tested this out?

Is this the best way to always have your contacts in sync with the Q10 and 4S?

If I want the Q10 and 4S to always have the same contacts I guess I should unlink and delete all my local contacts?

When I upgrade my wife to BB10 it would be too easy if I could also set up her phone with my gmail contact's the same way and all three devices could be in sync...or am I dreaming.

Thanks for any help!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:09 AM
    We need a select all button like the one in this native "sync" app.

How do I change a local contact to a gmail contact?-img_20140807_091224.png

Differentiate or Die
    08-06-14 08:15 PM
    Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all the info. This is exactly the answer I was looking for...never even tried the copy button!

I gave up on Link a while back and now have some duplicate contacts, etc, so was hoping to manually clean all my contacts up and have them all available through gmail.

I ran some tests, created contact on Q10 and saw it transferred to the 4S. Created contact on 4S and it transferred to Q10.

Has anyone else tested this out?

Is this the best way to always have your contacts in sync with the Q10 and 4S?

If I want the Q10 and 4S to always have the same contacts I guess I should unlink and delete all my local contacts?

When I upgrade my wife to BB10 it would be too easy if I could also set up her phone with my gmail contact's the same way and all three devices could be in sync...or am I dreaming.

Thanks for any help!

Posted via CB10
    You dont need to delete local contacts they should merge automatically, just be sure when you save a new contact it saves to local AND the email you want to sync it with.

Differentiate or Die
    08-06-14 08:17 PM
    You dont need to delete local contacts they should merge automatically, just be sure when you save a new contact it saves to local AND the email you want to sync it with.
    I've always been confused about what the significance of the "local" contacts is. If a contact is sync'd with an email account and/or with my MS Outlook on my laptop via Link, what is the benefit of also saving it as a "local" contact?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:22 AM
    I've always been confused about what the significance of the "local" contacts is. If a contact is sync'd with an email account and/or with my MS Outlook on my laptop via Link, what is the benefit of also saving it as a "local" contact?

Posted via CB10
    I also wanted to ask that question. If I have local and gmail contacts on my Q10 the local contact will not be updated if I edit a contact on my 4S or if I edit a contact directly on gmail web? If I dont have any local contacts on the Q10 then both phones and gmail should keep in sync?

Thanks,
    08-07-14 10:19 PM