OK so I had a Z10 since June and needed to add a new phone for one of my employees. I have started to hate typing on a touch screen so I decided to add a Q10 and take that and pass on the Z10 to the new user.

I had NO IDEA what I was in for. I did a backup of my Z10 and proceeded to hook up the Q10 to restore the data from. Apparently the Q10 will not take data from the Z10 as the software is "incompatible". Who would have thought that the 2 devices wouldn't be compatible as they are both current devices. I didn't give up there I assumed it had to do with OS versions so I made sure that I updated the Q10 and tried again. Same problem. Well I had a feeling it had to do with the fact that the z10 was running .4181 and the Q10 was running .273. I called Telus my carrier and they had no clue of what I was talking about. I pretty much asked them to connect me to BBY and they did. After explaining the problem (and getting nothing back) I decided to share with BBY rep what I thought was causing it. After being on hold a vary long time and having to call back when I got disconnected I was told that I cannot restore the data from my Z10 to my Q10 as they are not compatible due to the OS version discrepancy. There response was for me to wait for the update to the Q10 which they couldn't tell me if and when I could expect that. I was hoping for some professional work around or solution that didn't involve me manually inputing or copying over.

Also something that they told me that stuck out was that on Blackberry Link the emails/texts are not backed up and only pull from the mail server once the data restore creates all the mail accounts. They mentioned this as a way to make it seem like I am not really losing out by not being able to restore from the Z10. This struck me as odd because in all the years I have had BBYs the restore has always restored everything to the new device including texts emails (sent and rc'd) call history and contacts. Is this true that on OS 10 it only downloads the emails on the mail server? If so then presumably if the emails were downloaded by a computer or if someone doesn't check "leave a copy of messages on the server" then you wouldn't get those emails on you BB10 device on a restore with BB link?

At this point as long as Im waiting for BBY/Telus to update the Q10 version I may as well get an Android or IOS device and wait for BBM as that's the only thing holding me to BBY anymore.

Any advice?
    08-21-13 05:48 PM
    No advice from me sorry. At least to me, it would seem obvious that the two devices wouldn't have compatible software. One version is built for a 3.1 inch screen with a resolution of 720x720, and a physical keyboard. The other is for a full touch screen device with a res of 1280x768.

To be honest if the only thing keeping you attached to BB is BBM than perhaps you shouldn't be using a BB.

Just sayin
    08-21-13 06:34 PM
    When you plugged in your Q didn't it ask if you wanted to transfer to a new device. The dots on the bottom right click on it and it says switch devices. That's what you should have done not a back up restore.

Posted on my amazing Q10 made better by Berryleaks
    08-21-13 09:37 PM
    Different hardware...Slff is exactly right.

Rockin' 10.2.0.1323... 810 Runtime
    08-22-13 04:08 AM
    Take a look at this thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...my-q10-840614/

Also, I did personally restore a backup from my Z10 to a Q10, so I know it can be done. BB Link would not initially restore the Z10 backup, as my Z was on a higher OS (leaked 10.1.0.4561 if I recall correctly). So, I used Darcy's tools (http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-tools-824364/), made a copy of the Z10 backup, changed the OS version to one lower than what was on the Q10. Then I restored that backup to the Q10. There was some game data that didn't transfer, but all the important App Data and Settings were restored OK.
    08-22-13 06:39 AM
    No advice from me sorry. At least to me, it would seem obvious that the two devices wouldn't have compatible software. One version is built for a 3.1 inch screen with a resolution of 720x720, and a physical keyboard. The other is for a full touch screen device with a res of 1280x768.

To be honest if the only thing keeping you attached to BB is BBM than perhaps you shouldn't be using a BB.

Just sayin
    Ya that makes sense if I was asking about something like my wallpaper not fitting right or why I have no on screen keyboard but Im talking about restoring the data from one current model BBY to another. This is something that I have been able to do with every BBY I have had previous. It is also something that is a pretty critical function. Im not asking for the OS to work from one device to the other. Even the senior support member at BBY I spoke to said it was not acceptable.

Oh and for your last comment....I think it was me who was originally "just sayin" that maybe I shouldn't be using a BBY anymore. But thank you for attempting to take a shot at me with that comment.

When you plugged in your Q didn't it ask if you wanted to transfer to a new device. The dots on the bottom right click on it and it says switch devices. That's what you should have done not a back up restore.
    Yes it did ask me to do that...and OF COURSE I attempted to click the "dots" to transfer data but it actually tries to overwrite the Z10 data with the empty new Q10 data which would be a disaster and the opposite of what I want to do. I do believe I mentioned that I was working with BBY directly so presumably we would not have missed something so obvious as that.

Different hardware...Slff is exactly right.

Rockin' 10.2.0.1323... 810 Runtime
    Different hardware? You mean like when I did the exact same data restore on previous devices like my old world berry > curve > torch > bold or any of the blackberries I have owned over the last 10 years that had regardless of their OS or screen resolution? Cmon this is a major oversight by BBY.

Its amazing how when people put blinders on they lose objectivity.

Is it too much to expect that I can easily take all my data from a current model device to an even more current model of the same manufacturer? Is it too much to expect that I could have full functionality with Blackberry Bridge on my Playbook? Don't you agree that Blackberry should be responsive and accountable to its loyal long time customers?
    08-22-13 01:40 PM
    Take a look at this thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...my-q10-840614/

Also, I did personally restore a backup from my Z10 to a Q10, so I know it can be done. BB Link would not initially restore the Z10 backup, as my Z was on a higher OS (leaked 10.1.0.4561 if I recall correctly). So, I used Darcy's tools (http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-tools-824364/), made a copy of the Z10 backup, changed the OS version to one lower than what was on the Q10. Then I restored that backup to the Q10. There was some game data that didn't transfer, but all the important App Data and Settings were restored OK.
    Thank you for your response. This is what I was hoping for from the community. I will try this and see how it works and report back.

Thanks again.
    08-22-13 01:47 PM
    Ya that makes sense if I was asking about something like my wallpaper not fitting right or why I have no on screen keyboard but Im talking about restoring the data from one current model BBY to another. This is something that I have been able to do with every BBY I have had previous. It is also something that is a pretty critical function. Im not asking for the OS to work from one device to the other. Even the senior support member at BBY I spoke to said it was not acceptable.

Oh and for your last comment....I think it was me who was originally "just sayin" that maybe I shouldn't be using a BBY anymore. But thank you for attempting to take a shot at me with that comment.

Yes it did ask me to do that...and OF COURSE I attempted to click the "dots" to transfer data but it actually tries to overwrite the Z10 data with the empty new Q10 data which would be a disaster and the opposite of what I want to do. I do believe I mentioned that I was working with BBY directly so presumably we would not have missed something so obvious as that.

Different hardware? You mean like when I did the exact same data restore on previous devices like my old world berry > curve > torch > bold or any of the blackberries I have owned over the last 10 years that had regardless of their OS or screen resolution? Cmon this is a major oversight by BBY.

Its amazing how when people put blinders on they lose objectivity.

Is it too much to expect that I can easily take all my data from a current model device to an even more current model of the same manufacturer? Is it too much to expect that I could have full functionality with Blackberry Bridge on my Playbook? Don't you agree that Blackberry should be responsive and accountable to its loyal long time customers?
    Listen buddy, I don't think you realize what you are asking for.

Yes, there is away to transfer data, such as contacts or email/other similar data. What you originally asked for, seemed like you wanted to load up one backup from a Z10 to a different device (Q10), which isn't possible as I already said.

And I wasn't trying to take a shot at you. Take what I said exactly the way I wrote it. The way you put it at the end of the comment seemed like you did not like BlackBerry, besides for BBM. If that's the case then it doesn't sound like this is the right device for you, so don't take it so seriously

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 04:01 PM
    Listen buddy, I don't think you realize what you are asking for.

Yes, there is away to transfer data, such as contacts or email/other similar data. What you originally asked for, seemed like you wanted to load up one backup from a Z10 to a different device (Q10), which isn't possible as I already said.

And I wasn't trying to take a shot at you. Take what I said exactly the way I wrote it. The way you put it at the end of the comment seemed like you did not like BlackBerry, besides for BBM. If that's the case then it doesn't sound like this is the right device for you, so don't take it so seriously

Posted via CB10
    Listen pal!

It did sound like I wanted to restore a Z10 to a Q10 because that's what I did want to do. And why is that such an unreasonable request???

In fact here's how completely stupid this whole thing is....I was able to do a complete restore from my 9900 file from June. So theres the different resolution and OS argument out the window. If I can do a restore from OS7 why cant I take Z10 data and put it on a Q10. I know WHY technically I cant do it due to the way Link works and really being based on a technicality.

My personal comments and frustration are more directed at how this SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM on principal. What the hell is BBY thinking if you cant even make a simple thing like this simple.

Workarounds are great and all but BBY shouldn't rely on them for user group functionality.

While we are discussing it why are BBY users so damn defensive over criticism of anything to do with BBY. I think I have earned the right to be frustrated with BBY. I have had roughly 15-20 blackberries over the last 10 years directed several companies to adopt BBY over other platforms, personally bought 6 playbooks and even sold Blackberries and Mike Berries for a couple years. Even if I don't like how things have been going with BBY what give someone like you the right to cast me aside because I spoke ill of the sacred BBY.
    08-22-13 04:25 PM
    Update:
    On the phone now with BBY (they called me) and are asking me to send my backup file for them to tweak and send back to perform restore to Q10.

Its encouraging that they are addressing it. And for the record they wanted to express how unfortunate that something as simple as this was so difficult. They have admitted how it is an oversight yet some BBY fanboys get defensive and make it seem like its an unreasonable expectation.

Will let you know how the process goes after getting backup file back from BBY.
    08-22-13 04:43 PM
    Listen pal!

It did sound like I wanted to restore a Z10 to a Q10 because that's what I did want to do. And why is that such an unreasonable request???

In fact here's how completely stupid this whole thing is....I was able to do a complete restore from my 9900 file from June. So theres the different resolution and OS argument out the window. If I can do a restore from OS7 why cant I take Z10 data and put it on a Q10. I know WHY technically I cant do it due to the way Link works and really being based on a technicality.

My personal comments and frustration are more directed at how this SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM on principal. What the hell is BBY thinking if you cant even make a simple thing like this simple.

Workarounds are great and all but BBY shouldn't rely on them for user group functionality.

While we are discussing it why are BBY users so damn defensive over criticism of anything to do with BBY. I think I have earned the right to be frustrated with BBY. I have had roughly 15-20 blackberries over the last 10 years directed several companies to adopt BBY over other platforms, personally bought 6 playbooks and even sold Blackberries and Mike Berries for a couple years. Even if I don't like how things have been going with BBY what give someone like you the right to cast me aside because I spoke ill of the sacred BBY.
    Ok, I apologize for being defense and if I sounded like I wanted to "cast you aside because of your opinion. With that said, you should also take into consideration that perhaps you are wrong in the wording of what you needed, because although I know what you are asking for.I still disagree with what you claim should be possible. I don't think you can restore a phone, based on a different model/OS, at least using the tools BlackBerry gives us. Even if it is possible (which probably is the case), the OS uses on the Q10 isn't properly optimized for use on a Z10.

Anyways you found a solution to your problem so there's no need to continue arguing.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 05:21 PM
    I can't switch devices because my z has the latest 10.1mr and my q is a lower version 10.1 and it says the os is up to date

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 05:31 PM
    Ok, I apologize for being defense and if I sounded like I wanted to "cast you aside because of your opinion. With that said, you should also take into consideration that perhaps you are wrong in the wording of what you needed, because although I know what you are asking for.I still disagree with what you claim should be possible. I don't think you can restore a phone, based on a different model/OS, at least using the tools BlackBerry gives us. Even if it is possible (which probably is the case), the OS uses on the Q10 isn't properly optimized for use on a Z10.

Anyways you found a solution to your problem so there's no need to continue arguing.

Posted via CB10
    OK fair enough if you take the term restore as its actual definition sure. I use the term restore because that is BBY's term for taking data from a backup file and putting it on a given device. Normally that would be the mechanism to take a new handset and put all the data, settings, contacts etc. on it. I would rather do a manual restore than use the "dots" wizard so I can be actually certain im not overwriting the old data with the new handset.

After all of my attempts I think I'm just going to live with the Z10 and take the Q10 back. I've wasted enough time trying to get this phone going and I simply can't invest anymore into it.

Here's hoping 10.2 makes some of the Z10 frustrations a little better. PS for what its worth the guy at BBY said 10.2 was about a week away and they were supposed to make improvements to the bridge app on BB10. Who knows if he actually has knowledge on it or not though.
    08-22-13 06:46 PM
    am experiencing the same right now, tried to transfer z10 to q10. this is very stupid.
    01-07-14 11:37 AM
    I have just ordered a Q10 and was hoping to be able to transfer my Z10's data to it easily. Of course, I am planning to first update the OS on the Q10 to 10.2.1.3247 (assuming it comes with something else), which is what's on my Z10. But now I am worried after reading all these posts. I will be really disappointed if that doesn't work simply via "Switch Device" or "Backup/Restore" options in BlackBerry Link. Please note that I am not into side loading, Darcy's, Sachesi, etc.

Posted via Z10
    07-20-14 07:13 PM
    Assuming a worst case scenario with Link, what data would be most important to you?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 12:06 AM
    Assuming a worst case scenario with Link, what data would be most important to you?

Posted via CB10
    Apps/settings & notes/passwords. I am also interested in transferring contacts as well, but I have found ways to achieve that by using apps like "IntouchApp Contacts" or using vCard files. So, contacts transfer is no longer critical.

Posted via Z10
    07-21-14 05:34 AM
    Apps/settings require BlackBerry Link. No way around that.

Passwords can be exported from the Password Keeper app and then moved across and imported to the app on the new handset.

Contacts, Remember notes, and SMS/MMS can be moved quite easily with Backup Pro - no PC or wires required. Checkout the 2 minute demo video on our website. Also might I point out that our contact backup function supports ALL contact fields including contact notes and photo's.
    07-21-14 05:27 PM
    OK so I had a Z10 since June and needed to add a new phone for one of my employees. I have started to hate typing on a touch screen so I decided to add a Q10 and take that and pass on the Z10 to the new user.

I had NO IDEA what I was in for. I did a backup of my Z10 and proceeded to hook up the Q10 to restore the data from. Apparently the Q10 will not take data from the Z10 as the software is "incompatible". Who would have thought that the 2 devices wouldn't be compatible as they are both current devices. I didn't give up there I assumed it had to do with OS versions so I made sure that I updated the Q10 and tried again. Same problem. Well I had a feeling it had to do with the fact that the z10 was running .4181 and the Q10 was running .273. I called Telus my carrier and they had no clue of what I was talking about. I pretty much asked them to connect me to BBY and they did. After explaining the problem (and getting nothing back) I decided to share with BBY rep what I thought was causing it. After being on hold a vary long time and having to call back when I got disconnected I was told that I cannot restore the data from my Z10 to my Q10 as they are not compatible due to the OS version discrepancy. There response was for me to wait for the update to the Q10 which they couldn't tell me if and when I could expect that. I was hoping for some professional work around or solution that didn't involve me manually inputing or copying over.

Also something that they told me that stuck out was that on Blackberry Link the emails/texts are not backed up and only pull from the mail server once the data restore creates all the mail accounts. They mentioned this as a way to make it seem like I am not really losing out by not being able to restore from the Z10. This struck me as odd because in all the years I have had BBYs the restore has always restored everything to the new device including texts emails (sent and rc'd) call history and contacts. Is this true that on OS 10 it only downloads the emails on the mail server? If so then presumably if the emails were downloaded by a computer or if someone doesn't check "leave a copy of messages on the server" then you wouldn't get those emails on you BB10 device on a restore with BB link?

At this point as long as Im waiting for BBY/Telus to update the Q10 version I may as well get an Android or IOS device and wait for BBM as that's the only thing holding me to BBY anymore.

Any advice?
    You can't bolt a VW motor in a Chevy...they are both cars...Q10's have keyboard keys. Z10's have virtual keys...different software...sorry

Crackberry Genius on Verizon STL100-4 10.3.0.296/442
    07-23-14 02:13 AM
    Is both devices logged in with same Blackberry ID?
    Do u remember the what blackberry ID u used to take backup of your Z 10. If you remember log in with same BB ID on your Q 10 and then try to restore.
    I guess it could be the issue with BBid.
    07-23-14 02:28 AM
    Since my last post (#15 above), I have restored my Z10 backup without any problems into a new Q10, and from the Q10 into a new Z30, using BB Link. The only requirement is that the OS version of the new devices should be the same or higher than the backed up device.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 07:59 PM