Hey,

I'm have a Rogers Z10, and I just got some Mifire NFC tags.

I've tried programming them with the built-in Smart Tags app, NFCTagSuite, and MyProfilesPro. It looks like MyProfilesPro at least is supposed to have the ability to program a blank NFC tag, but every time I put a tag near the phone a message pops up that says "This tag is blank or not recognized." The same message is displayed whether I'm running an app, on the home screen, or in the Hub.

If I disable NFC through the settings menu then placing my phone near a tag has no effect, as is expected. If I re-enable NFC through the settings menu, placing my phone near a tag pops up the "blank or not recognized" message.

What do I need to do to program an NFC tag with the Z10? Does it have this capability? Has Rogers done something to limit this?

If I program the tag using an Android phone, can I use a URI that MyProfilesPro will be able to interpret?

Any help is much appreciated, even if it's just verifying that other Z10s do the same thing, or something different.

Nick
    02-13-13 03:51 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=769813

The developer responds in this thread. The app will respond to its programmed tags but not tags from another app I believe. I am going to program on an Android and see if they work. I should have my tagstand tags any day now.
    You may have a type of tag not recognized by the Z10. Apparently tagstand tags work with BlackBerry's.
    02-13-13 05:47 PM
    I don't see anything in that post related to my question.

These tags are blank, not programmed by another app, and the developer recommended this brand of tag on another thread, so I expect they should work.

Anyone on Rogers with a Z10 try this? Or a Z10 with another carrier? Does it work?
    02-13-13 07:06 PM
    I meant he will respond to your question. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    02-13-13 08:17 PM
    Hey,

I'm have a Rogers Z10, and I just got some Mifire NFC tags.

I've tried programming them with the built-in Smart Tags app, NFCTagSuite, and MyProfilesPro. It looks like MyProfilesPro at least is supposed to have the ability to program a blank NFC tag, but every time I put a tag near the phone a message pops up that says "This tag is blank or not recognized." The same message is displayed whether I'm running an app, on the home screen, or in the Hub.

If I disable NFC through the settings menu then placing my phone near a tag has no effect, as is expected. If I re-enable NFC through the settings menu, placing my phone near a tag pops up the "blank or not recognized" message.

What do I need to do to program an NFC tag with the Z10? Does it have this capability? Has Rogers done something to limit this?

If I program the tag using an Android phone, can I use a URI that MyProfilesPro will be able to interpret?

Any help is much appreciated, even if it's just verifying that other Z10s do the same thing, or something different.

Nick
    MyProfilesPro can program NFC tags (those tags that BB OS and BB10 support).

For example if you want to create a NFC tag to launch your Home profile in MyProfilesPro, just open Home profile for edit, then hit 'Create NFC Tag' on the bar at the bottom of the screen, and tap a NFC tag. (after programming this tag will launch your Home profile without you needing to open MyProfilesPro)

FYI:
    1- If the tag that you have is Mifare Ultralight and if it is locked then no app can write to it. A locked Mifare Ultralight tag is locked for ever.

2- If the tag that you have is Mifare Classic, Mifare 1K, or Mifare 4K, then no app on BB10 can program it (Mifare Classic is not NFC Forum standard, therefore BBs don't support it)

3- MyProfilesPro uses its own codes on NFC tag. Proprietary codes are needed to get the NFC tag to launch multiple tasks (in a profile in MyProfilesPro).
    NFC tags programmed with a URI can launch one task (assuming that BB10 has support fot that URI)
    02-13-13 10:38 PM
    Right you were about the reply, stabstabdie!

My tags are Mifare Classic 1k, apparently, so it seems I'm out of luck. Should have done more research! At least I can use the tags with the wife's android phone, and maybe someone will find this thread before ordering tags.

Thanks for the reply!

Nick

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 07:07 AM
    My tagstand tags will arrive to say or tomorrow. Will follow up with results. I got four stickers and two plastic tags under 20$ with shipping.
    02-14-13 07:11 AM
    Tags have arrived I will post after work to let you know what has happened. I will test android programmed tags tonight or tomorrow. Will post as soon as I have results.
    Vijik likes this.
    02-14-13 12:01 PM
    This app programs tagstand tags no problem. Now it's up to us to wait for more advanced functions. I'm waiting for the ability to switch to my vibrate only profile and to program switch tags eg. one tap turn blue tooth another tap turn off blue tooth etc.
    02-14-13 04:48 PM
    So the tags launch whatever app used to program it. So the tagstand app on android programmed tags won't read on Z10 and the side loaded version can not access the phones nfc.
    Vijik likes this.
    02-14-13 05:18 PM
    This app programs tagstand tags no problem. Now it's up to us to wait for more advanced functions. I'm waiting for the ability to switch to my vibrate only profile and to program switch tags eg. one tap turn blue tooth another tap turn off blue tooth etc.
    Currently there is no API in BB10 that allows an app like MyProfilesPro to switch BB 10's profiles. As soon as an API like that becomes available, it will be added.
    (NFCShortcuts + ShortcutMe on BB7 had this and many more features. The apps for BB10 should however wait a bit until BlackBerry brings those useful APIs to BB10).

I will add toggle tags to ShortcutMe 10 because it is more useful for a toggle shortcut.
    02-14-13 05:41 PM