The multiple variant model is common throughout most cell phone manufacturers except maybe Apple.
    Posted via CB10
    I am afraid some Android devices (at least my Nexus 5) also work well in different GSM countries. Having tried iPhone, Nexus 5 and Z10/Q10/Z30 next to each other in different countries (US, Europe, Asia), only the BB devices seem to have major compatibility issues. I hope BB addresses this in ALL future devices (yes, like Passport, which seems to cover more GSM frequencies).
    10-14-14 10:12 AM
    I am afraid some Android devices (at least my Nexus 5) also work well in different GSM countries. Having tried iPhone, Nexus 5 and Z10/Q10/Z30 next to each other in different countries (US, Europe, Asia), only the BB devices seem to have major compatibility issues. I hope BB addresses this in ALL future devices (yes, like Passport, which seems to cover more GSM frequencies).

Nope,.. all manufacturers have variants that will work best in certain regions, and will mostly work in others.

"The G900H is typically sold in regions where 4G LTE networks aren?t as prevalent, such as Latin America, Africa and the Middle East (which is where the model for this review was sourced). This is likely because the Exynos model costs less to produce than the Snapdragon-equipped version and that makes it a more affordable option for buyers in these markets.
    Aside from the differences in CPU and GPU performance, the Exynos 5 Octa doesn?t come with an integrated cellular radio, and Samsung hasn?t paired it with an LTE-capable modem. The maximum download and upload speeds you can expect from the G900H are 42.2 Mbps and 4.76 Mbps respectively, a far cry from the 150/50 Mbps over LTE that the Snapdragon 801 supports."

http://www.techspot.com/review/839-g...vs-snapdragon/

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    10-14-14 10:31 AM
    Actually, the Nexus is the only Android device line that you will find is somewhat region-free. Look at Samsung phones, HTC phones, LG phones, etc. They all have multiple variants. In the past, Samsung has even released two variants of the same phone for the same carrier.

With BB10, depending on where you are, you could get one device that's compatible in both NA and ROW. Example: the Q10 SQN100-3 and the Z30 STA100-2 are ROW models, but up to LTE compatible with Rogers and Bell in Canada. Rogers even sells the SQN100-3 as its primary Q10.
    10-14-14 11:28 AM
    Actually, the Nexus is the only Android device line that you will find is somewhat region-free. Look at Samsung phones, HTC phones, LG phones, etc. They all have multiple variants. In the past, Samsung has even released two variants of the same phone for the same carrier.

With BB10, depending on where you are, you could get one device that's compatible in both NA and ROW. Example: the Q10 SQN100-3 and the Z30 STA100-2 are ROW models, but up to LTE compatible with Rogers and Bell in Canada. Rogers even sells the SQN100-3 as its primary Q10.
    I see. Yes, I confirm that my experience with Android has been only with Nexus 5, not any of the Samsung or other Android devices.

With regards to the BB devices that are compatible with both NA and ROW (I am assuming they mean North America and Rest of the World), I hope you are right. Interestingly, I recently bought a Z30 STA1100-2, and have ordered a Q10 SQN100-3 that is arriving soon. Based on what you have said, these two will be usable almost everywhere I go when traveling overseas on business, which will be great. I don't mind not getting 4G, and will be more than happy with 3G or above. Thanks for the information.
    10-14-14 11:44 AM
    With regards to the BB devices that are compatible with both NA and ROW (I am assuming they mean North America and Rest of the World), I hope you are right. Interestingly, I recently bought a Z30 STA1100-2, and have ordered a Q10 SQN100-3 that is arriving soon. Based on what you have said, these two will be usable almost everywhere I go when traveling overseas on business, which will be great. I don't mind not getting 4G, and will be more than happy with 3G or above. Thanks for the information.
    I wish you had ordered a SQN100-5 or a Z30 STA100-5 instead (if you're still on T-Mobile.) That way, you would have had at least one BB10 phone that gets LTE on T-Mobile

But yes, STA100-2 and the SQN100-3 are the ROW GSM variants of their respective models.
    10-14-14 12:47 PM
    I wish you had ordered a SQN100-5 or a Z30 STA100-5 instead (if you're still on T-Mobile.) That way, you would have had at least one BB10 phone that gets LTE on T-Mobile
    I already have a Q10 SQN100-5, which I use with my US T-Mobile sim, and that's the one I said wouldn't work in some ROW countries (I can't even get data). Yes, that would cover me when I am in the States, but I am hoping the new Q10 SQN100-3 will cover ROWs as well, while getting at least 3G in the US. That way I will carry only one BB phone while traveling, not two.
    10-14-14 01:08 PM
    I already have a Q10 SQN100-5, which I use with my US T-Mobile sim, and that's the one I said wouldn't work in some ROW countries (I can't even get data). Yes, that would cover me when I am in the States, but I am hoping the new Q10 SQN100-3 will cover ROWs as well, while getting at least 3G in the US. That way I will carry only one BB phone while traveling, not two.
    Hmm. You should get at least 3G with a SQN100-5 in a lot of places (most of Europe, Africa, India, etc.) OTOH, the SQN100-3 won't be that good for use on TMO. But I guess it depends on where your primary home/base of operation is--a US or a ROW location.

Check out the Q10 link in my signature. In case you aren't aware, here are some UMTS (3G/HSPA+) frequencies to look for:

TMO US: 1700, 1900
    AT&T: 850, 1900
    Most ROW destinations: 2100
    10-14-14 01:23 PM
    ...... But I guess it depends on where your primary home/base of operation is--a US or a ROW location.

Check out the Q10 link in my signature. In case you aren't aware, here are some UMTS (3G/HSPA+) frequencies to look for:

TMO US: 1700, 1900
    AT&T: 850, 1900
    Most ROW destinations: 2100
    My time is split between my home in Southern California and either UK (London) or Kazakhstan for work with my company. Yes, 2100 seems to be the 3G frequency for most carriers in these two countries, but I am puzzled why SQN100-5 wouldn't work then, since according to the chart below it does include the 2100 HSPA+ band. The only frequency that seems to be missing in SQN-100-5 is 900. So, right or wrong, that's the frequency I have been focusing on. Either way, 100-3 seems to cover both the 900 and the 2100 frequencies. So, it seems to be a safe bet at least for ROW.

Can't Get At&t LTE on Unlocked Z30 STA100-5-q10_frequencies_v3.jpg
    10-14-14 02:02 PM
33 12