Can we sideload on BB10?
If so, I have a few questions:
- Can you sideload Google Play (Android Market) to browse and download apps?
- Do Android Apps work with BIS and push notifications or will your battery life be drained?
- Can Android Apps access the camera and other features such as the microphone for apps such as SoundHound ?
- If one is unhappy with BB10 apps, can they just rely on Android Apps to get them through? i.e. Android Google Maps, Android Facebook Messenger, etc
- CrackBerry Genius
12-25-12, 07:44 PM #2
- 1,977 Posts
1) 100% sure Google Play won't work on BB10.
2) Android apps will work like any other app on BB10. I think push is going to be handled by RIM's architecture, but I am not 100% sure.
3) Android apps have access to Camera and most (if not all) hardware API's. I haven't tested SoundHound and so is not 100% sure if it'll work (Some android apps don't work properly on BB10 because it utilizes components of the Android native SDK which is not supported by BB10).
4) Yes and no. Give that FB messenger is on currently BBOS, it should be there on BB10 (in any event it'll be part of the BB Hub). There's a version of Google Maps that works on the Dev Alpha, but you will likely need to sideload it. Not all big Android apps work on BB10, and so whether or not you can get by with just Android apps is unclear.
Youtube (There's no Native Client or maybe it's coming?)
Various Bank Apps
Various grocery store apps
- 12-25-12, 08:38 PM #6
Can we sideload on BB10?
I wouldn't be surprised to see an upgrade to Jelly bean with BlackBerry10. If not at launch then sometime soon after. No this isn't a fantasy of mine but rather something they (RIM) are chasing after. The ultimate 2 for 1 device. Please feel free to flame.
Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
It wouldn't do RIM any good to offer Jelly Bean or any form of Android port on BlackBerry. The hardware and software is completely locked down, so is the bootloader thus uncrackable therefore you probably wouldn't be able to mod Android etc. You'd have little customization.
- 12-25-12, 10:31 PM #8
- 12-27-12, 07:47 AM #10
Re: Can we sideload on BB10?- Do Android Apps work with BIS and push notifications or will your battery life be drained?- Can Android Apps access the camera and other features such as the microphone for apps such as SoundHound ?- If one is unhappy with BB10 apps, can they just rely on Android Apps to get them through? i.e. Android Google Maps, Android Facebook Messenger, etc
- 12-27-12, 05:58 PM #11
At best I believe I have heard the updated Android emulator in BB10 will be ICS, and I have even seen discussion on that as well, though there is general consensus that it runs better on the Dev Alpha than it does on the PlayBook.
Android apps on BB's also won't update unless you go get the update, convert it and side load the new version. Any apps that are updated to take advantage of new features offered in the newest Android OS will not be available to BB's which will most likely stay 2 versions behind current software.
Apps were granted access to the camera in the recent updates to PlayBook but I have not heard of any significant app that makes available to the PlayBook - anyone know of one - I would love to stand corrected on this one.
I can tell you Scanner Radio works just fine on the PlayBook, and I understand Google Maps works but not turn by turn navigation or street view.
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-28-12, 01:39 AM #12
- 414 Posts
I also had google navigation working on PB for a while, until I wiped it etc and never bothered again.
here is another website [not sure if it has been kept up to date], that might help you get an idea of how much Android app compatibility to expect.
- 12-28-12, 10:36 AM #13
Perhaps there is a difference in the Dev Alpha Android Emulator that allows it to work better?
- CrackBerry Newbie
03-15-13, 01:09 PM #14
- 6 Posts
So I sideloaded the GMaps .apk onto my BB10 today, and although it gets my position fine and routes a map, the navigation does not work, the needle doesn't follow me and its always stuck to "Searching for GPS". I got a SYS_dUMP of the BB10 file system the other day, so plan to compare the gps.conf from my S2 and the BB10
- By DCBLAZIN in forum Native BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 7Last Post: 10-23-10, 07:42 PM
- By dcruz1040 in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900Replies: 2Last Post: 03-06-09, 01:30 PM
- By lakersfreak in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 3Last Post: 10-22-08, 10:33 PM
- By mikeM247 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 6Last Post: 08-19-08, 01:30 AM
- By bderrick in forum BlackBerry 8830 WEReplies: 2Last Post: 03-12-08, 10:49 PM