Ok here's the deal not too long ago iOS7 was released and there were a lot of arguments that they copied BB10 and Android and whatever other OS but I've been watching some YouTube videos on BB10 and Nokia N9 and to my astonishment people have are saying that BB10 copied Nokia N9 Meego. I've done some research and I can honestly say I don't see what BB10 copied from Meego. Here's what I found

BlackBerry 10 is QNX (Unix-like RTOS) based and Nokia N9 Meego is Linux based, BlackBerry 10 swipes from left to right and Nokia N9 Meego swipes up and down, BlackBerry 10 swipes up to unlock and Nokia N9 Meego swipes from the left to unlock. BlackBerry only swipes right to get into the app menus from the active frame homescreen and swipes left to get into its notifications hub as of with Meego you swipe left to right to go from the notifications, app menus (which you navigate by swiping up and down to go through the other apps), and to the still frame homescreen. I don't see how BB10 copied Meego. The only thing that's the same is the multitasking screens (which BlackBerry took from the BlackBerry Tablet OS which also has QNX as their underlying OS and only has 8 active frames open at a time) and they are both gesture based differently.

So in all honesty BB10 and Meego are two different OSs and BB10 didn't copy them. So what I want to know is why do people think this??? Do you think BB10 copied Meego???

P.S I'm sorry if this was already a thread but this is something I need to get off my back.

Posted via CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z10
    07-05-13 09:07 AM
    07-05-13 09:11 AM
    They are very similar, Yes I think BB10 took few ideas from Meego, the clock for example and the swipe gestures. If I am not wrong TAT or some other design department were involved with N9 before BlackBerry bought them. Not so sure in detail.
    jrdba likes this.
    07-05-13 09:14 AM
    They are very similar, Yes I think BB10 took few ideas from Meego, the clock for example and the swipe gestures. If I am not wrong TAT or some other design department were involved with N9 before BlackBerry bought them. Not so sure in detail.
    TAT was bought in the year 2010 and N9 was released a year after so I'm not sure if TAT was involved with N9 but i doubt they were.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 09:36 AM
    TAT was bought in the year 2010 and N9 was released a year after so I'm not sure if TAT was involved with N9 but i doubt they were.

Posted via CB10
    TAT was involved, TAT designed the ii for the N9 which is why they are similar, but TAT owns the designs therefore it's not a copy, especially being designed by the same people.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-05-13 09:46 AM
    You can double tap to unlock the N9 which is a very popular feature.

Once in you can then move between the events screen (which shows notifications) app screen and active frames screen in left OR right directions.

Nokia paid TAT to do the UK or possibly just the graphics, it then became Nokia's property. Nokia open sourced it. Anyone can use it now. Although I think Nokia kept the patents for low power mode and double tap to unlock, these features are going to be added to wp8

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:31 AM
    I posted before I finished lol

The app tray works by swiping up and down.

BTW the PlayBook uses the WebOS card system not active frames.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:35 AM
    TAT was involved, TAT designed the ii for the N9 which is why they are similar, but TAT owns the designs therefore it's not a copy, especially being designed by the same people.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have any proof?

Honest question, I'd love to see one shred of evidence that TAT worked on the Meego Harmattan UI.

I and many others have searched and searched for anything that says TAT came up with that UI and I've yet to see anything that suggests that they did. I've yet to see anyone else post that evidence either. All you're doing is spreading a rumour further. The BB10 fans here have been saying TAT created it, TAT owns it, and RIM bought TAT so they are now allowed to use it on BB10 and it isn't copying, but there is NO evidence to back those claims up. NONE!

If TAT did create the UI, why didn't they take credit for their work? They took credit for design elements that weren't even used on the N9. Search around, you'll find a video that TAT made showing off these concepts they had for Meego. None of it looked like the Harmattan UI, but that was their work and their ideas, and they took credit for it. Seems foolish to believe that TAT created the entire N9 UI, something that would take untold hundreds of hours of work, but not take any credit for that work.

At this point, without proof, all you're doing is spreading more misinformation.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-05-13 11:41 AM
    I did some searching

It seems that the Swipe UI was likely designed by 80/20 Design Studio from New York with some Nokia additions.

The article is long so if you don't wish to read it all scroll down to the Swipe UI section.

http://taskumuro.com/artikkelit/the-...of-nokia-meego

TAT however did have some involvement with Meego, but perhaps their Velvet UI demonstrated on a Meego tablet wasn't selected.

Posted via CB10
    Saiga likes this.
    07-05-13 01:33 PM

TAT however did have some involvement with Meego, but perhaps their Velvet UI demonstrated on a Meego tablet wasn't selected.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! This is the video I was talking about. I appreciate you posting it here.

I've always found it odd that TAT would make this video showing off the work they had done, but never once took any credit for the Harmattan UI? Not once as far as I can tell.

It just doesn't add up, if TAT had created Harmattan, they would be sure to let people know. The fact that they didnt, leads me to believe that it is highly, highly unlikely that TAT had anything to do with the UI that RIM coppied for BB10.

07-05-13 01:43 PM
    Damn! That's some nice stuff in that video!
    07-05-13 01:49 PM
    Thanks! This is the video I was talking about. I appreciate you posting it here.

I've always found it odd that TAT would make this video showing off the work they had done, but never once took any credit for the Harmattan UI? Not once as far as I can tell.

It just doesn't add up, if TAT had created Harmattan, they would be sure to let people know. The fact that they didnt, leads me to believe that it is highly, highly unlikely that TAT had anything to do with the UI that RIM coppied for BB10.

I had always assumed that TAT had done the UI because of their association with Meego. How wrong I was lol

Never the less BlackBerry has obviously copied quite a bit of the Nokia N9. That is quite obvious when you compare them.

That little Nokia N9 flows very nicely.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 01:57 PM
    Do you have any proof?

Honest question, I'd love to see one shred of evidence that TAT worked on the Meego Harmattan UI.

I and many others have searched and searched for anything that says TAT came up with that UI and I've yet to see anything that suggests that they did. I've yet to see anyone else post that evidence either. All you're doing is spreading a rumour further. The BB10 fans here have been saying TAT created it, TAT owns it, and RIM bought TAT so they are now allowed to use it on BB10 and it isn't copying, but there is NO evidence to back those claims up. NONE!

If TAT did create the UI, why didn't they take credit for their work? They took credit for design elements that weren't even used on the N9. Search around, you'll find a video that TAT made showing off these concepts they had for Meego. None of it looked like the Harmattan UI, but that was their work and their ideas, and they took credit for it. Seems foolish to believe that TAT created the entire N9 UI, something that would take untold hundreds of hours of work, but not take any credit for that work.

At this point, without proof, all you're doing is spreading more misinformation.

Off topic but I noticed you never responded in another thread on which apps you apparently pulled from bbw because blackberry is not worth developing for?... genuine question

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 02:02 PM
    Off topic but I noticed you never responded in another thread on which apps you apparently pulled from bbw because blackberry is not worth developing for?... genuine question

Posted via CB10
    I've been asked numerous times what apps wrote, I don't answer that question for a few reasons.

1. BlackBerry employees frequent these forums. If they knew what apps I wrote, they'd now who I am and where I live. They might also want their devices back. After all, they do say "Property of Research in Motion" on them.

2. I don't believe it is right to use CrackBerry to advertise your apps. Others do it, but I personally do not believe it is appropriate.

3. If a person knows my developer name, they could effortlessly track it back to my families FaceBook pages, where they'd learn my full name, where I work, what I look like, who my children are, who my wife is, where she works and so on. No offense, but I personally have no desire for people on CB to know that much about me. Some of the people here are fanatical freaks. When I offered my opinion, and said what I did, I was basically called a scumbag and told "good riddance". So there really isn't any reason for me to list my apps is there?

They've been pulled from BlackBerry World, what good is knowing their names at this point?

mikeo007 likes this.
    07-05-13 02:24 PM
    I've been asked numerous times what apps wrote, I don't answer that question for a few reasons.

1. BlackBerry employees frequent these forums. If they knew what apps I wrote, they'd now who I am and where I live. They might also want their devices back. After all, they do say "Property of Research in Motion" on them.

2. I don't believe it is right to use CrackBerry to try to sell your apps. Others do it, but I personally do not believe it is appropriate.

3. If a person knows my developer name, they could effortlessly track it back to my families FaceBook pages, where they'd learn my full name, where I work, what I look like, who my children are, who my wife is, where she works and so on. No offense, but I personally have no desire for people on CB to know that much about me. Some of the people here are fanatical freaks. When I offered my opinion, and said what I did, I was basically called a scumbag and told "good riddance". So there really isn't any reason for me to list my apps are there?

Fair enough

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 02:27 PM
    I owned an N9. And yes, TAT did work on it.

BB10 certainly was influenced by the N9, but it isn't straight copying, there ARE a lot of differences. (part of the reason why I got a Z10.)

I think the UI is a bit better on the N9. , BUT, the Z10 has a lot more going for it.

Personally, I miss the face detection camera (not the same as time shift), the swipe down to close an app, the double tap to unlock, and the feed screen.

Other than that, the Z10 does everything better. But that was also because Nokia just abandoned the N9 like a redheaded stepchild.

Posted in the pooper
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-05-13 02:51 PM
    Damn! That's some nice stuff in that video!
    Honestly, when I see stuff like that, I see gimmicks. Things like that look great for demonstrations and work good as a tech demo, but I honestly would never want to actually use a phone day to day if it works like that...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    dannejanne likes this.
    07-05-13 03:20 PM
    Honestly, when I see stuff like that, I see gimmicks. Things like that look great for demonstrations and work good as a tech demo, but I honestly would never want to actually use a phone day to day if it works like that...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Unfortunately it's the gimmicks that sell the device... the "oooh look, shiny..." perception seems key; having a robust platform with great potential doesn't cut it anymore!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    07-05-13 04:14 PM
    Copied or not, I'm sure as heck glad they did whatever they did. The ONLY reason I bought the Z10 was because it fully reminded me of the Nokia N9 (Meego)! Love the idea of no home/back button and everything being reliant on swipes and gestures. As John said, the swipe down on an app to close it would be a great addition.

Posted with my amazing Z10
    SDTRMG and dararede like this.
    07-07-13 01:29 AM
    Copied or not, I'm sure as heck glad they did whatever they did. The ONLY reason I bought the Z10 was because it fully reminded me of the Nokia N9 (Meego)! Love the idea of no home/back button and everything being reliant on swipes and gestures. As John said, the swipe down on an app to close it would be a great addition.

Yah and the whole fact that meego is now Jolla fish makes this argument more irrelevant. We can back in time in who copied who, and I'm sure BlackBerry had icons, themes, fonts, apps, and si much more for years.

In today's day an age smartphones are much like cars, being that they all resemble each other in one way or another.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 03:01 PM
    Yah and the whole fact that meego is now Jolla fish makes this argument more irrelevant. We can back in time in who copied who, and I'm sure BlackBerry had icons, themes, fonts, apps, and si much more for years.

In today's day an age smartphones are much like cars, being that they all resemble each other in one way or another.

Posted via CB10
    Funny you mention Jolla. I was waiting to transition to them once my N9 was ready to retire. But I happened to visit an AT&T store and fell in love with the Z10 within seconds. Bought it 2 days later on eBay and haven't looked back since. May likely upgrade to the A10 once it hits the market.

07-07-13 05:25 PM
    I've came to the conclusion that BlackBerry was the first to start the whole swipe UI with the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS which did pave the way for BB10 OS. All phones are evolving to Swipe UI. BlackBerry has BlackBerry10 OS, Android has Ubuntu OS, Nokia has Jolla/Meego OS, and Apple has iOS7 and all of these OSs have a Swipe UI.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 07:39 PM
    I've came to the conclusion that BlackBerry was the first to start the whole swipe UI with the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS which did pave the way for BB10 OS. All phones are evolving to Swipe UI. BlackBerry has BlackBerry10 OS, Android has Ubuntu OS, Nokia has Jolla/Meego OS, and Apple has iOS7 and all of these OSs have a Swipe UI.

Posted via CB10
    Incorrect. Palm Pre brought the swipe UI to the market first in June 2009. PlayBook came out April 2011. Just stating facts.

mikeo007 and anon(4044683) like this.
    07-07-13 08:54 PM