How many of you feel strange that BB10 can now install apk directly but not bar? Why give apk that special treatment but not the native format?
    I hope they update the OS so we can install the bar too!
    Helpfull when you want to wipe and reinstall apps with no Internet connection
    01-28-14 08:27 PM
    I agree, it is ironic.

Most people weren't aware, but this is just like how Android apps could always run in background while we waited a year for headless app support for native BB10 apps.

In BB's defence, if you load an Android app, it only has so much access since it's running within the Android Runtime. Conversely, a "bad" bar file would have access to full systems.
    01-28-14 08:36 PM
    If only local bar still worked I'd carry a legacy phone with me just to proxy install!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 08:39 PM
    And so it begins...

You are now in my Bingo Book
    01-28-14 09:42 PM
    And so it begins...

You are now in my Bingo Book
    And why is that? I just search about bingo book

I agree, it is ironic.

Most people weren't aware, but this is just like how Android apps could always run in background while we waited a year for headless app support for native BB10 apps.

In BB's defence, if you load an Android app, it only has so much access since it's running within the Android Runtime. Conversely, a "bad" bar file would have access to full systems.
    True, perhaps bb can restrict permission for side loaded bar, just for a start.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    01-29-14 01:23 AM
    It is not ironic at all. The ability to directly install and run APK files was added to support (entice) Android developers by showing them how easily they can bring their applications to the BlackBerry echo system. They don't have to download development tools, convert files or anything like that. Just copy the APK to a BB10 device and run it. The hope is that once they see how well the applications run, and how little work they need to do they will convert the APK to a BAR and put it in BlackBerry World.

The fact that knowledgeable enthusiasts can use the same capability to install and run APKs is a bonus for those who want to do it, not a feature intended for the average user. This is why running APKs was not officially announced as part of the feature set by BlackBerry.

"Simply put, BlackBerry World is where your app belongs." -- Alec Saunders
    cuek80 likes this.
    01-29-14 08:52 AM