Is there really BIS for bb10 device's? If yes how do I do the activation, thanks alot

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 11:18 AM
    While a BIS-enabled data plan will work on a BB 10 device, you won't gain any benefit from it. (Other than being able to use the SIM in a Legacy device, if necessary.) BB10 devices are designed to use the same generic consumer data plans as other devices.
    While a BIS-enabled data plan will work on a BB 10 device, you won't gain any benefit from it. (Other than being able to use the SIM in a Legacy device, if necessary.) BB10 devices are designed to use the same generic consumer data plans as other devices.
    07-12-14 11:27 AM
    I'm curious as to why I can't use my old BIS email address with BlackBerry 10.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    07-12-14 12:29 PM

Because the QNX developers were not able to get the OS to communicate adequately with the BIS servers.
    07-12-14 12:35 PM

Those email accounts were set for phase-out last year just after the BB 10 launch: BlackBerry offering one year of forwarding services for BlackBerry.net email accounts | CrackBerry.com
    jpvj likes this.
    07-12-14 12:37 PM
    Because the QNX developers were not able to get the OS to communicate adequately with the BIS servers.
    That's a ridiculous statement.

BIS had no future. Carriers was not interested in having a special subscription for BlackBerry only and furthermore having to share revenue with BlackBerry.

When iPhone and later Android had the majority of users BlackBerry simply had to play along. BlackBerry knew revenue from BIS/BES was about to end years ago. BlackBerry employees are not stupid, just late in the game due to a lot of poor management in the past.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 01:08 PM
    That's a ridiculous statement.

BIS had no future. Carriers was not interested in having a special subscription for BlackBerry only and furthermore having to share revenue with BlackBerry.

When iPhone and later Android had the majority of users BlackBerry simply had to play along. BlackBerry knew revenue from BIS/BES was about to end years ago. BlackBerry employees are not stupid, just late in the game due to a lot of poor management in the past.

Posted via CB10
    Well... sort of. BBerry likely decided they no longer needed the expense of BIS as everyone else on the planet seemed happy getting zapped by standard data plans. However, there are/were a few markets ("emerging" markets) where customers were demanding they have BIS with their BBerry 10 just like they did in the "good old days". So carriers were faking it by creating data plans that were a bit better than the usual, and calling them BIS, even though they were not. A BB10 will not actually work on BIS. Not as a BIS account is designed.
    07-12-14 02:15 PM
    Well... sort of. BBerry likely decided they no longer needed the expense of BIS as everyone else on the planet seemed happy getting zapped by standard data plans. However, there are/were a few markets ("emerging" markets) where customers were demanding they have BIS with their BBerry 10 just like they did in the "good old days". So carriers were faking it by creating data plans that were a bit better than the usual, and calling them BIS, even though they were not. A BB10 will not actually work on BIS. Not as a BIS account is designed.
    Yeah, they likely decided they no longer needed the revenue from BIS. Sorry pal. They decided to kill it off for BB10, but it was based on the market shifting towards 4G and the likes. They would have kept it, if they were in a position to.

Data compression just isn't a problem these days. Data is rather cheap. We as consumers have actually very little value coming our way from BIS to be honest. @carrier.blackberry.com email? Never used it. A forwarder in 2014? Hardly a feature.

I've said it then and I'll say it now: BB10's BIS should have been all about services. $10 monthly fee paid DIRECTLY to BlackBerry that would allow access to "BlackBerry Cloud" - BBM Music, BB Protect (the full featured on, like BBOS), 2 way PIM sync, data encryption.

But they don't ever listen to me unless it's me nagging about translation mistakes.
    Ecm likes this.
    07-12-14 05:06 PM
    This is not true. A BB10 device can work on a BIS plan ( or a BES plan ). When BB10 devices first came out that was the only way they would work on Bell Canada. There were also some carriers that prevented BB10 from working on BIS plans. Then there were others like Rogers that worked either way. RIM was pretty clear at the time, it was up to the carriers how they want to provision the devices on their networks, which is the case regardless of what RIM, now BlackBerry, wants. In fact I just activated my Z10 on BES Cloud without a BES account.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 05:16 PM
    I've said it then and I'll say it now: BB10's BIS should have been all about services. $10 monthly fee paid DIRECTLY to BlackBerry that would allow access to "BlackBerry Cloud" - BBM Music, BB Protect (the full featured on, like BBOS), 2 way PIM sync, data encryption.
    I'm with you on this one, Diego! Especially the BB Protect.
    diegonei likes this.
    07-12-14 05:35 PM
    This is not true. A BB10 device can work on a BIS plan ( or a BES plan ). When BB10 devices first came out that was the only way they would work on Bell Canada. There were also some carriers that prevented BB10 from working on BIS plans. Then there were others like Rogers that worked either way. RIM was pretty clear at the time, it was up to the carriers how they want to provision the devices on their networks, which is the case regardless of what RIM, now BlackBerry, wants. In fact I just activated my Z10 on BES Cloud without a BES account.

Posted via CB10
    It CAN work on a BIS plan, but WITHOUT any of the benefits.

BB10 does not talk to the NOC the same way BBOS did so BIS on a BB10 device is just like any other dataplan - 'cept far slower.
    07-12-14 05:38 PM
    It CAN work on a BIS plan, but WITHOUT any of the benefits.

BB10 does not talk to the NOC the same way BBOS did so BIS on a BB10 device is just like any other dataplan - 'cept far slower.
    Did I say any different? I don't think so.

Although people have reported lower billing for the same service on BIS compared to off. One could argue that is a benefit, but it comes from the carrier tariff structures rather than from network structure. Not every one puts data rate above all else.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 08:26 PM

Although people have reported lower billing for the same service on BIS compared to off. One could argue that is a benefit, but it comes from the carrier tariff structures rather than from network structure. Not every one puts data rate above all else.

Posted via CB10
    When the BB10 first came out there were a large number of users on the BBerry help site with their phones only working on voice. This is because they were on true BIS plans and a BB10 will not work on a true BIS plan. Please search around. I'm only the messenger. As I said, several carriers boogied their "BIS" plans so they would work on BB10 (in other words, the were not BIS plans at all), then created their own "compressed data plans", that they called BIS. Again, if you search around you'll find people to this day swearing they are using BIS on a BB10, getting all the functions of a non-BIS plan, when they are not. That's because in some markets BIS plans were hugely popular. So, what better way to keep the customer happy than to lie to them?
    07-13-14 11:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    When the BB10 first came out there were a large number of users on the BBerry help site with their phones only working on voice. This is because they were on true BIS plans and a BB10 will not work on a true BIS plan. Please search around. I'm only the messenger. As I said, several carriers boogied their "BIS" plans so they would work on BB10 (in other words, the were not BIS plans at all), then created their own "compressed data plans", that they called BIS. Again, if you search around you'll find people to this day swearing they are using BIS on a BB10, getting all the functions of a non-BIS plan, when they are not. That's because in some markets BIS plans were hugely popular. So, what better way to keep the customer happy than to lie to them?
    07-13-14 11:14 AM

You didn't, but my version is clearer. Makes it easier to understand when people come looking for answers.

Again, it comes down to how the carrier works. You got the part that not all plans worked the same way right, but for all the rest, either quote a source or we're not gonna buy it. BIS work in a very specific way and it's hardcoded into BBOS. Some services gotta have access to the NOC to work, period.

No amount of carrier fiddling could change that.

I was on the full blown BIS (unlimited data, 10 email accounts, all services) and my Z10 worked, suck on lower speed HSPA+, but it worked. How was that possible? My carrier has a 2GB allowance for data built into the BIS plan, in case you decide to "move on" from BlackBerry. If you use a BBOS device, you're on unlimited slow-*** internet, if you take your SIM into any other phone, you get 2GB slow-*** internet. Other carriers probably didn't allow any access to their data network without outside of the BIS deal. While other were similar to mine.
    07-13-14 11:45 AM
    Again, it comes down to how the carrier works. You got the part that not all plans worked the same way right, but for all the rest, either quote a source or we're not gonna buy it. BIS work in a very specific way and it's hardcoded into BBOS. Some services gotta have access to the NOC to work, period.

No amount of carrier fiddling could change that.

I was on the full blown BIS (unlimited data, 10 email accounts, all services) and my Z10 worked, suck on lower speed HSPA+, but it worked. How was that possible? My carrier has a 2GB allowance for data built into the BIS plan, in case you decide to "move on" from BlackBerry. If you use a BBOS device, you're on unlimited slow-*** internet, if you take your SIM into any other phone, you get 2GB slow-*** internet. Other carriers probably didn't allow any access to their data network without outside of the BIS deal. While other were similar to mine.
    When I recieved my Z10 LE and went looking for a carrier to run it on my plan of choice was from Virgin Mobile Canada. They, however, would not activate any BlackBerry devices without a BIS account. I got an account started by using an Android phone, then moved it to the Z10. Calls and SMS would work on the Z10 but data wouldn't even though the plan worked on Androids and iPhones. They did this by pushing, and locking, the APN as "blackberry.net". With that APN on the Bell.CA network (what VMC resells) if you didn't have a BIS or BES plan you did not get any data service. Move the SIM to an Android or iPhone and the APN would change to "pda.bell.ca" and data would be available.

For the rest, the situation was fuid in the beginning. Even some of the Dev Alpha devices wouldn't work on some carriers with a plain data plan:
    BlackBerry 10 Phones Will Still Need a “BlackBerry Service” Data Plan - BerryReview
    And what CrackBerry had to say: BlackBerry 10 devices will need to have a BlackBerry data plan | CrackBerry.com

And Bell stood their ground until mid 2013: Bell working on the Blackberry Z10 BES/BIS required problem
    07-13-14 03:08 PM
    Close to the answer I was looking for. That seems like quite a shortcoming, and I wish I knew more about the specifics -- and whether it's impossible or just really, really hard.

07-13-14 05:47 PM
    Those email accounts were set for phase-out last year just after the BB 10 launch:
    Interesting that mine still works...

07-13-14 08:24 PM
    Interesting that mine still works...
    Most of their stance towards BBOS changed due to pressuer from companies that won't move to BB10 just yet. BIS and all the stuff related should have been gone by now.

Yet, we see the 9900 being re-released instead.
    07-13-14 11:23 PM
    09-18-15 04:56 PM
    I have a BIS plan with Etisalat, we call it now OLD BIS, which it is not available anymore. A new one is available under the same name. The new one is what you are talking about, but what I have is the true one which enables me to use unlimited data all around the world, except couple of countries. I use a rediculase amount of data around the world, as I am frequently flying around the world and I pay a flat rate like 80$ a month. This plan is not available anymore. The new one has a limit of 20MB or so for international roaming where is mine true unlimited around the world. I even can't add any other facilities to my number, as I could loose this old BIS facility.
    09-18-15 05:04 PM