Recently I was at a funeral for someone with a very distinguished career. There was a reception after the interment, where I noticed someone who I recognized as an actor, so I went up and started talking to him. Turns out he is a musician too, like me, so we had a pretty lively conversation about music, and one of the people listening took out his ipad so I could show them some of my band's songs on YouTube. Anyway this guys ipad, which was connected to wifi, couldn't play any YouTube videos without getting playback error, so I took out my z10 and connected it to the wifi and it played them no problem. Actor then said if I'm in LA I should lay down some tracks for him on the horn, and asked me to add him to bbm, and he took out this old clunker blackberry, I don't know what it was exactly but something from the 8000's, and all scratched up and everything. I was pretty surprised to see that he was using a blackberry and a clunker no less! So I said something like that blackberry looks like it's been through a lot or something to that effect.

So he told me about how he's been using this phone for years, and despite it being embarrassing sometimes to have this old blackberry, he's used to it and the physical keyboard, and it never breaks or has any problems, so he has never replaced it despite people trying to give him new phones or telling him to switch, and that he doesn't feel comfortable with anything that doesn't have a physical keyboard. However while in canada he had noticed a Rogers store displaying the q10 so he went in to check it out and the rep told him something like "The q10 is faster but you can do more with the z10" and he asked me what that means, and if I recommend bb10 or whether he should just start using an iphone like everyone says

So at this point I did something I never do, and started showing off my z10 and trying to sell him on bb10. I told him that the reps comment didn't make sense and that I'm probably a lot better informed about blackberry. I showed him the z10 keyboard, and the hub and gestures. I showed him some of the good apps, like how sayit can do everything basically that siri can, how neutron mp can play every kind of sound file under the sun, the Websplitter app and others. I told him that although bb10 is a new os, it gets updated every couple of months and it will add in all the customization of bbos and more. I told him that with Thor and the young genius vivek bhardwaj , blackberry is like a whole new company and one with vision and focus on a revolution of true mobile computing, that blackberry would be the first to achieve close integration with cars and other devices. I told him that blackberry 10 would eventually be the best platform for apps once it is more established and a better API get released because blackberry app developers make more money than other platforms. Then I even did a bbm video call and showed him screen sharing. He was impressed and told me he was going to buy a q10 as soon as he gets home.

Then I had to tell him that the q10 isn't released in the states yet but it will be soon.

Shortly after this we parted ways and I left. And I started feeling doubt in my mind.. because for me the z10 is great, and getting better all the time. I've only had 2 random reboots, but he is with an American carrier, Verizon no less. The American carriers apparently get tons of random reboots (which may end up being the case with the q10 also) , and worse yet they take what seems like a ridiculous amount of time to release updates.

I always assumed that
    a) blackberry will fix the reboot problem quickly
    b) they're still getting the updates so what's the big deal if they're a little behind?

but yet I left with this feeling that maybe his experience won't be the same as mine at all, on an American carrier, that maybe I shouldn't have recommended bb10 to him at all. Maybe I should have said "don't get bb10. Your phone will randomly reboot at critical times throughout the day, and you will be weeks and weeks, more likely months behind for all software updates. It's not worth it"

Posted via CB10
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    05-27-13 12:23 AM
    I would have just said to wait for the Q10. He won't have to worry too much about updates as it has 10.1. I'm sure he would wait a few more weeks with that old BB without complaint. And if he doesn't like the Q10 he can still get a 9900 or something instead. lol. Good story though.
    05-27-13 12:31 AM
    There's some stable feeling from the legacy OS even though it clearly wasn't. It's some kind of analog stability feel that I can't pinpoint. Maybe it's the build quality or the physical keyboard. For this dude, I would recommend nothing but a Q10. Nice story by the way.
    05-27-13 01:34 AM
    Recently I was at a funeral for someone with a very distinguished career. There was a reception after the interment, where I noticed someone who I recognized as an actor, so I went up and started talking to him. Turns out he is a musician too, like me, so we had a pretty lively conversation about music, and one of the people listening took out his ipad so I could show them some of my band's songs on YouTube. Anyway this guys ipad, which was connected to wifi, couldn't play any YouTube videos without getting playback error, so I took out my z10 and connected it to the wifi and it played them no problem. Actor then said if I'm in LA I should lay down some tracks for him on the horn, and asked me to add him to bbm, and he took out this old clunker blackberry, I don't know what it was exactly but something from the 8000's, and all scratched up and everything. I was pretty surprised to see that he was using a blackberry and a clunker no less! So I said something like that blackberry looks like it's been through a lot or something to that effect.

So he told me about how he's been using this phone for years, and despite it being embarrassing sometimes to have this old blackberry, he's used to it and the physical keyboard, and it never breaks or has any problems, so he has never replaced it despite people trying to give him new phones or telling him to switch, and that he doesn't feel comfortable with anything that doesn't have a physical keyboard. However while in canada he had noticed a Rogers store displaying the q10 so he went in to check it out and the rep told him something like "The q10 is faster but you can do more with the z10" and he asked me what that means, and if I recommend bb10 or whether he should just start using an iphone like everyone says

So at this point I did something I never do, and started showing off my z10 and trying to sell him on bb10. I told him that the reps comment didn't make sense and that I'm probably a lot better informed about blackberry. I showed him the z10 keyboard, and the hub and gestures. I showed him some of the good apps, like how sayit can do everything basically that siri can, how neutron mp can play every kind of sound file under the sun, the Websplitter app and others. I told him that although bb10 is a new os, it gets updated every couple of months and it will add in all the customization of bbos and more. I told him that with Thor and the young genius vivek bhardwaj , blackberry is like a whole new company and one with vision and focus on a revolution of true mobile computing, that blackberry would be the first to achieve close integration with cars and other devices. I told him that blackberry 10 would eventually be the best platform for apps once it is more established and a better API get released because blackberry app developers make more money than other platforms. Then I even did a bbm video call and showed him screen sharing. He was impressed and told me he was going to buy a q10 as soon as he gets home.

Then I had to tell him that the q10 isn't released in the states yet but it will be soon.

Shortly after this we parted ways and I left. And I started feeling doubt in my mind.. because for me the z10 is great, and getting better all the time. I've only had 2 random reboots, but he is with an American carrier, Verizon no less. The American carriers apparently get tons of random reboots (which may end up being the case with the q10 also) , and worse yet they take what seems like a ridiculous amount of time to release updates.

I always assumed that
    a) blackberry will fix the reboot problem quickly
    b) they're still getting the updates so what's the big deal if they're a little behind?

but yet I left with this feeling that maybe his experience won't be the same as mine at all, on an American carrier, that maybe I shouldn't have recommended bb10 to him at all. Maybe I should have said "don't get bb10. Your phone will randomly reboot at critical times throughout the day, and you will be weeks and weeks, more likely months behind for all software updates. It's not worth it"

Posted via CB10
    Good read, we can't really tell if the Q will have any issues.. you did the right thing.. if he happens to hate it, he can always take it back and use his old bb again!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 04:13 AM
    getting the word out is great, but i wouldn't push things that may/may not come, i.e. legacy features, etc,,, if it doesn't happen, you'll look the fool,,, just be honest,,, good devices/os, but needs work,,, if they don't have things straightened out by july, i'd say they're (BB) in trouble,,, the feedback is out there,,, we'll see if they ACT on it..
    05-27-13 07:39 AM
    In recent weeks my Z10 has improved. No more reboots. Leaked OS etc..

But until it is able to headless apps in the background no go on the recommendations.

Tim

Posted using a Z10
    loveBB6.0 likes this.
    05-27-13 08:16 AM
    Tim are you with an American carrier and the leaks have fixed the rebooting?

Maybe my point was lost after that long story. It was that the z10 is great for me, but I felt guilty afterwards recommending a q10 to him when I thought about the random reboots and unacceptable delays in updates that Americans are getting. And when blackberry still hasn't fixed the reboot problem after all these months, and correct me if I'm wrong but Verizon hasn't even released the previous update before 10.1 yet

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 02:15 PM
    I considered switching to Verizon, but after reading about the random reboots, I decided to hold off and stick with T-Mobile (although I read about reboots with them too, but not as many as VZW).

Good story, OP.
    05-27-13 08:08 PM
    I considered switching to Verizon, but after reading about the random reboots, I decided to hold off and stick with T-Mobile (although I read about reboots with them too, but not as many as VZW).

Good story, OP.
    i think tmo is selling "Z"'s, htc1's & iphones for $100 this month,,, saw an ad on tv...
    05-27-13 08:44 PM
    I'm on T-Mobile and since loading a leaked OS, I have had no reboots on my Z10. My friend on at&t also has a Z10, and he has had no reboots.

He should wait for a Q10 though, since he sounds like a diehard qwerty user. I'm getting the Q10 when T-Mobile releases it, so I've been reading a lot about them on the forums here. It appears that the reboot issue was only on the Z10.

I'd say recommend the Q10 all you can. What a huge leap that will be for your friend. Like getting into a time machine haha
    05-27-13 09:19 PM
    The rebooting does not happen to anyone. I recommend BlackBerry to almost everyone who is interested... and even when they are not because I love it and... I don't think they will hate me for loving my phone so much though some of my hipster friends w their iPhones do get a little bored lol.

Doctor Who Channel C000C1253
    05-27-13 09:50 PM