New Passport owner here -- found a slightly used one while working here in China. When I opened the Amazon Appstore I answered that I'm in China. Big mistake, now everything is in Chinese and I can't see how to re-set my country choice.

Can I delete the data from the app, or re-install it? I'll do a wipe if that's the only way, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I heard that I can install Android apps using Amazon, I'm anxious to try it out.

Thanks for any pointers, enjoying this phone and OS.
    05-28-16 03:21 AM
    @rjbrendel,
    There is a way to delete & reinstall only the Amazon Appstore without wiping. But please answer this first:

As per last post #3, you should wipe a used device before using it yourself. Was it already wiped at least?
    Were you able to create/enter your own BBID on the device? If not, you absolutely must wipe it. If you could enter your own BBID, then that means it was previously wiped by original owner. A wipe is still recommended, but not necessary to use the device.

If a wipe isn't necessary, you'll need to "trick" the OS into thinking Amazon Appstore isn't a stock app. Stock apps are locked from being deleted.

1. Find your local link via the Browser to download Amazon Appstore on your device.
      (You can try to find the link for Canada or USA installs. If you're having problems, look it up from a PC and email yourself the link.)
    2. Download Amazon Appstore via your Browser.
    3. If you're asked to approve installing apps from outside sources, then approve that.
    4. After Amazon Appstore is installed, it will have replaced the stock version and is now deletable. Long press Amazon Appstore icon on home screen, then tap the X to uninstall it.
    5. Reboot device: Hold down the top key (aka lock button) and do not let go. Ignore any onscreen options, countdowns, etc. After the red LED flashes on then back off, release the top button.
    6. Open Browser, return to download link for Amazon Appstore, and reinstall Amazon Appstore.

That should give you a clean install of Amazon Appstore and allow you to start fresh again.
    New Passport owner here -- found a slightly used one while working here in China. When I opened the Amazon Appstore I answered that I'm in China. Big mistake, now everything is in Chinese and I can't see how to re-set my country choice.

Can I delete the data from the app, or re-install it? I'll do a wipe if that's the only way, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I heard that I can install Android apps using Amazon, I'm anxious to try it out.

Thanks for any pointers, enjoying this phone and OS.
    You have to use an auto loader, than pull up the app and delete it, on a re start the App will reappear and be ready for new info if you chose to use it.. (Auto Loader)
    Last edited by Elite1; 05-28-16 at 08:34 AM.
    05-28-16 07:40 AM
    On a used phone you will want to do a security wipe, then the phone is set back to brand new out of the box and all the apps will be the same.
    05-28-16 07:42 AM
    @rjbrendel,
    There is a way to delete & reinstall only the Amazon Appstore without wiping. But please answer this first:

As per last post #3, you should wipe a used device before using it yourself. Was it already wiped at least?
    Were you able to create/enter your own BBID on the device? If not, you absolutely must wipe it. If you could enter your own BBID, then that means it was previously wiped by original owner. A wipe is still recommended, but not necessary to use the device.

If a wipe isn't necessary, you'll need to "trick" the OS into thinking Amazon Appstore isn't a stock app. Stock apps are locked from being deleted.

1. Find your local link via the Browser to download Amazon Appstore on your device.
      (You can try to find the link for Canada or USA installs. If you're having problems, look it up from a PC and email yourself the link.)
    2. Download Amazon Appstore via your Browser.
    3. If you're asked to approve installing apps from outside sources, then approve that.
    4. After Amazon Appstore is installed, it will have replaced the stock version and is now deletable. Long press Amazon Appstore icon on home screen, then tap the X to uninstall it.
    5. Reboot device: Hold down the top key (aka lock button) and do not let go. Ignore any onscreen options, countdowns, etc. After the red LED flashes on then back off, release the top button.
    6. Open Browser, return to download link for Amazon Appstore, and reinstall Amazon Appstore.

That should give you a clean install of Amazon Appstore and allow you to start fresh again.
    05-28-16 08:56 AM
    You have a link for that? Because I want to use it to delete appstore permanently if it'll work!

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    05-28-16 10:07 AM
    Many thanks for your reply, and the others too.

I was able to log in with my BBID (from years back when I had a company-issued BB), but after confirming that it worked in general, I did the full wipe. Also set up a password and encryption, so I'm good in that area.

I went through the steps above, installing a new store app (it was a .apk file) over the top. I still couldn't delete the app, no trash can appeared when I long-pressed, and starting the app was the same as before -- all Chinese. But after re-booting the phone, the app re-initialized, and it's now set up in English and for the US. So all is good.

Thanks again for all the help, it is much appreciated.
    05-28-16 09:54 PM