I was playing with my girl's iPhone 6 and she was showing me how iOS worked (as I haven't played with an iPhone since the 4S) and I thought it was kind of cool how 'Airdrop' worked. Could BlackBerry in theory make something similar and if so how would they implement it? Just a thought...

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 04:56 PM
    You know AirDrop is just bluetooth and WiFi right? Every computer and BlackBerry technically has it already built in. It just so happens Apple has made it easy to use, mainly because they control both of the systems Mac and iOS, so there's no outside variables to consider really. You're asking for something that already exists, albeit in a not so easy user experience.
    11-29-15 05:20 PM
    BlackBerry has nfc... as most droids, Bluetooth and wi-fi transferring too.
    11-29-15 05:21 PM
    It just so happens Apple has made it easy to use
    Isn't that kind of Apple's thing? They typically don't invent new technologies, they're often late to the party with new technologies, but what they do, is make them simple for anyone to use.
    11-29-15 05:29 PM
    Isn't that kind of Apple's thing? They typically don't invent new technologies, they're often late to the party with new technologies, but what they do, is make them simple for anyone to use.
    They make things that were never hard to do seem easier because they decide to give it a name and somehow advertise it as revolutionary.

Regular non-ipeople just call it a wi-fi or bluetooth transfer. Was it that hard?
    11-29-15 07:11 PM
    Apple does actually simplify things a bit... at the cost of locking these formerly open technologies into "Apple-only" versions with (typically) less functionality - but it's simpler to use. Apple folks don't seem to mind this trade-off.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-29-15 10:52 PM
    In order to implement something like this easily then you need to control the OS of both the sending and receiving device and it needs to be preinstalled. It works for Apple because users can quickly send content to nearby users of iPhones, iPads, or Macs without resorting to less efficient and less secure methods such as emailing or SMS.

Blackberry could do this from BB 10 to BB 10 devices, however this wouldn't be that useful since they don't have a tablet or PC operating system and now that they have adopted Android in their flagship phone.

The fact that it uses either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi demonstrated that it's not really about the specific wireless method involved. That part really should be transparent to the user.
    11-29-15 11:51 PM