With the right marketing can BlackBerry make is way back to #3 in cell phone sells. I think 10.3.1 is amazing what do you think ?

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 09:17 AM
    It's not the OS. BB10 is superior to most others in a heck load of ways.

Issue 1: It's reach. It's getting devices into people's pockets. It's marketing AND pricing. It's not really hardware, only stupid geeks and tech blogs bother with hardware. Apple has crappy hardware for all specs show. Performance isn't hardware.

If they can come up with a real low end phone that matches the hardware on a low-end Lumia (and delivers solid performance) and out prices it, then they will get tracktion.

If they can get a mid-range device that can out price and out perform the likes of Galaxy phones and Moto Gs and LG Ls, they will get some people on board.

Issue 2: It's apps. It doesn't really matter how goo your phone's software and hardware is if I can't have NetFlix, instagram or whatever fad app it hot this week.
    02-28-15 09:23 AM
    Don't forget the real fact here when you are talking about market share in general terms because it's basically a one horse race. Worldwide market share vs US market share are two different pictures as well.
    IOS, Windows, BlackBerry plus others are making up around 15% of total. I'm always amazed how folks use the number 2 label to hide the fact that iphone sales are so far behind Android OS and falling steadily too.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 09:35 AM
    IMHO. It's the name. Same phones different name, it's a different story.
    02-28-15 09:39 AM
    IMHO. It's the name. Same phones different name, it's a different story.
    Hence Passport and Classic instead of Q20 and Q50.

But I don't think that matter. The BlackBerry name is still there and the media is still uneducated and trying to kill the brand.

I remember on an episode of MadMen they talked a well recognized company to rebrand it's product, much to the owner's displeasure, as the only way to salvage the situation.

Maybe we should be trying to sell BlackBerry should rebrand the phone division to QNX and see how thigns go from there...

Don't forget the real fact here when you are talking about market share in general terms because it's basically a one horse race. Worldwide market share vs US market share are two different pictures as well.
    IOS, Windows, BlackBerry plus others are making up around 15% of total. I'm always amazed how folks use the number 2 label to hide the fact that iphone sales are so far behind Android OS and falling steadily too.
    Right, Android has the most market share, but it's fragmented over a gazillion companies. Last we checked, only Samsung was really making any significant profit (see how Sony just dropped the smartphone market all together?).

Also, no matter how much market share Android has, Apple is still the one making the most buck per device.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    02-28-15 09:45 AM
    Marketing!
    There is no marketing in the US! Between that and getting a couple of key apps native would make a big difference IMO

STL-4. 10.3.1.2267
    BionicKris likes this.
    02-28-15 10:13 AM
    Let me fix that for you.
    Marketing!
    There is no marketing anywhere. in the US! Between that and getting a couple of key apps native would make a big difference IMO
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-28-15 10:48 AM
    Can BB get ahead of Windows phone, sadly (really sadly) no, it won't.

Like said above, there is no advertising whatsoever, BlackBerry seem like Nokia where with Symbian, embarrassed, they have been given such a bad reputation from issues with BBOS devices they are scared to advertise, even when the Hardware and OS is actually very decent.
    Symbian phones had FM Transmitters, a hell of a lot of Network's support, Excellent Touch Screens, (41MP Camera on the 808, incredible, still have mine) and more, yet they never ever advertised it because of the trouble with the old Series 60 v5, BlackBerry are going in the same direction if they don't pluck their ideas up.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    02-28-15 10:53 AM
    Let me fix that for you too.
    Can BB get ahead of Windows phone? Yes. With the correct measures in place. , sadly (really sadly) no, it won't.
    02-28-15 10:54 AM
    I really respect people's views regarding Windows Phones. I don't like it at all, as plain.

Many issues and shortcomings. For example, I couldn't select a simple 3G Only mode in Windows Phone. Lack of Multitasking. The list is so long. I've never been so annoyed with any OS this much.

BlackBerry 10 OS is very neatly designed. All it needs is a little push and hard work by RIM.
    02-28-15 11:51 AM
    Why we compare BlackBerry with Apple all the time?

BB Z Ten | 2267
    02-28-15 12:02 PM
    I really respect people's views regarding Windows Phones. I don't like it at all, as plain.

Many issues and shortcomings. For example, I couldn't select a simple 3G Only mode in Windows Phone. Lack of Multitasking. The list is so long. I've never been so annoyed with any OS this much.

BlackBerry 10 OS is very neatly designed. All it needs is a little push and hard work by RIM.
    They've sorted out the File Manager and email attachments joke?

 Q5 / Z30
    khanorak1 likes this.
    02-28-15 01:10 PM
    Nope. Has nothing to do with the OS since it's the most efficient and functional OS there, not the prettiest but it does everything else better than others as far as the core functionality goes.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 01:19 PM
    No, they screwed the calendar.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 04:24 PM
    No, they screwed the calendar.
    Different isn't screwed.
    02-28-15 04:34 PM
    sadly (really sadly) no, it won't

why are crossing this^^^^^^.....I tend to agree that it won't
    02-28-15 04:42 PM
    Why we compare BlackBerry with Apple all the time?

BB Z Ten | 2267
    I think the main reason is that Apple is where BlackBerry used to be--at the top of the mountain. Another reason may be that at one point, Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy, but fast-forward eighteen years and they're the most valuable publicly-traded company in the world. People think that if Apple can be like the proverbial Phoenix and rise from its ashes, why not BlackBerry?
    Khizer Hayat2 and DarkJoker33 like this.
    02-28-15 05:01 PM
    Apple has crappy hardware for all specs show.
    What? Do you have any idea what are you talking about? Apple A8 is one of the fastest SoC on the market.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    02-28-15 05:05 PM
    Different isn't screwed.
    No, not unless you want to see how many appointments you have on a particular day. But who wants that?
    02-28-15 05:21 PM
    It's not the OS. BB10 is superior to most others in a heck load of ways.

Issue 1: It's reach. It's getting devices into people's pockets. It's marketing AND pricing. It's not really hardware, only stupid geeks and tech blogs bother with hardware. Apple has crappy hardware for all specs show. Performance isn't hardware.

If they can come up with a real low end phone that matches the hardware on a low-end Lumia (and delivers solid performance) and out prices it, then they will get tracktion.

If they can get a mid-range device that can out price and out perform the likes of Galaxy phones and Moto Gs and LG Ls, they will get some people on board.

Issue 2: It's apps. It doesn't really matter how goo your phone's software and hardware is if I can't have NetFlix, instagram or whatever fad app it hot this week.

I believe #1 is the key. The majority of Windows Phones are low-end Lumias. By low-end these are devices that cost less than $100 without a contract.

I think #2 is less important, since BlackBerry probably has just as many apps as Windows Phone, due to availability of Android apps.
    02-28-15 05:40 PM
    Unless John Chen falls, hits his head on the sink and comes up with a genius masterplan the same time the entire Microsoft board of directors puts on their SS uniforms and joins a PEGIDA rally, that won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    vbdwork, eldricho, MikeX74 and 1 others like this.
    02-28-15 05:41 PM
    I believe #1 is the key. The majority of Windows Phones are low-end Lumias. By low-end these are devices that cost less than $100 without a contract.

I think #2 is less important, since BlackBerry probably has just as many apps as Windows Phone, due to availability of Android apps.
    I think the one of the main issues of #1, is the memory requirement of BlackBerry 10. The OS needs a whopping 2 GB RAM as a minimum (could say 1.5 GB) to run smoothly without lag. This versus the 512 MB RAM as a minimum for Windows Phone. Way easier to pump out cheaper devices, with a lower memory requirement.

Posted via CB10

Unless John Chen falls, hits his head on the sink and comes up with a genius masterplan the same time the entire Microsoft board of directors puts on their SS uniforms and joins a PEGIDA rally, that won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    Had to laugh at this
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-28-15 06:25 PM

What brings you back to the BlackBerry side of Mobile Nations? Considering getting back on the train, maybe? :P

Well, less important is relative. Devs are more open to coding native apps to Windows Phone than they are to BlackBerry. Having a half functional BBWorld and a half functional Amazon Appstore doesn't really works.

BlackBerry was never any good on the low-end field. The Curve 8300/10/20 was a bomb (in the good way), but when Android started provinding for other companies to push (crappy, yet reallycheap) devices, they started losing ground fast. Recent attempts at low/mid range (Z3, Q5) were still considered overpriced by most people. It seems to me they want everyone to see the value of their devices and pay the appropriate price - which would even work if they had proper marketing behind the devices.

Oh well. I don't have much to say about WP. I like the bleak, plain, flat designs. It seems to be very hardware friendly and the top end Lumias have great cameras (or had before WP8.1).

Still, I'm glad I didn't have to go that way two years ago! I still think a four player battle is better for the consumer, so yeah.

Can 10.3.1 get  BlackBerry in front of Windows phone ?-89c.gif
    LuvULongTime and DarkJoker33 like this.
    02-28-15 06:34 PM
    In my opinion Blackberry's lack of apps kills the business! I know android apps run smoothly with 10.3.1 but native apps would be better. I think they should pursue developers to create a larger app base for BlackBerry to market upon. The right stuff and the right kind of marketing can bring BlackBerry back!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 06:36 PM
    Windows Phone seems designed for the general population-simple, cheap, efficient for use for Social media and games. Naturally they have a wider appeal. Why chase the low end of the market? BlackBerry will not appeal to the masses but shouldn't need to worry if they focus on reliable, secure phones that appeal to the business crowd. They need to keep making hardware that is coveted by those who are willing to pay any price.
    02-28-15 06:51 PM
88 123 ...