Wouldn't it be nice to have a light or flash for the forward facing camera because it is pretty much useless in any situation but a well lit scenario. I was a concert with my wife the other night and we couldn't get a decent selfie and had to rely on the old fashioned "excuse me sir, would you mind taking a picture of us?"

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    rai187 and CMcRob like this.
    07-31-14 04:39 PM
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a light or flash for the forward facing camera because it is pretty much useless in any situation but a well lit scenario. I was a concert with my wife the other night and we couldn't get a decent selfie and had to rely on the old fashioned "excuse me sir, would you mind taking a picture of us?"

I've yet to use my forward facing camera. I'm sure a lot of people on a lot of platforms would like to have flash.

And you are married, so you are apparently old enough to know to not use the word "selfie".

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 05:03 PM
    Agreed in low light areas the front camera is completely useless. Every picture is so dark and has so much noise. It looks extremely pixilated.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    07-31-14 05:20 PM
    Just turn the camera around and take the shot with the volume rocker.
    Works fine, and a higher grade picture also.
    07-31-14 07:23 PM
    Oh, yes a flash would come in handy on the front.
    07-31-14 07:24 PM
    It will be easier to add timer function into the camera. Just set into 5s, use you back camera, and you got the picture. Why is this not a thing since OS7?

But, yeah flash will work too.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 01:36 AM
    It will be easier to add timer function into the camera. Just set into 5s, use you back camera, and you got the picture. Why is this not a thing since OS7?

But, yeah flash will work too.

Posted via CB10
    I think that a timer function is coming with 10.3
    08-01-14 05:59 AM
    I understand everyone's comments about turning it around... but your still guessing that the shot will be in frame. :-o

08-01-14 07:41 AM
    I'm down with a front flash. My wife and I like to take "couplies" when we go out in the town. I think it would be widely accepted.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:12 AM
    I'm down with a front flash. My wife and I like to take "couplies" when we go out in the town. I think it would be widely accepted.

Posted via CB10
    Couplies, selfies..

You all know what I meant lol.

But yes, a front flash/light would be great

walt63 likes this.
    08-01-14 10:56 AM
    I understand everyone's comments about turning it around... but your still guessing that the shot will be in frame. :-o

Yes, if you can't see the screen then it's a guess. But, at under 4 feet away from your faces, if you fail at that close range......
    Overall, a front facing flash would do the trick better than guessing, but picture quality will suffer.
    Besides, as soon as you snap the shot, you will look at the picture to see if it is acceptable. And if you use time shift, then you can tune in a better result.
    08-01-14 03:28 PM
    Yes, if you can't see the screen then it's a guess. But, at under 4 feet away from your faces, if you fail at that close range......
    Overall, a front facing flash would do the trick better than guessing, but picture quality will suffer.
    Besides, as soon as you snap the shot, you will look at the picture to see if it is acceptable. And if you use time shift, then you can tune in a better result.
    Front facing flash would be ideal. Knowing the approximate range of the shot (front camera not meant for regular portraiture but it is known to be for one specific reason) the devs can program the flash to fire at 25% power to reduce a a blown out shot.

Better yet a front light to light the subjects with no flash firing at all.

Great discussion though but I doubt we'll see it on a BlackBerry device soon.

08-01-14 08:22 PM
    BBM video is crap in low light areas..its so dark..so a front facing light would be really amazing for this.

Posted via CB on my BlackBerry Z30
    drfever likes this.
    08-01-14 08:40 PM
    Wait.... I read that the Snap2Chat app has a front facing flash??

Is this correct? If so, it shouldn't be hard to implement should it? I presume it uses the indicator light?

Pardon me if I'm completely wrong. I don't have snap2chat I only read the app description while surfing through BlackBerry World.

08-01-14 09:52 PM
    Wait.... I read that the Snap2Chat app has a front facing flash??

Is this correct? If so, it shouldn't be hard to implement should it? I presume it uses the indicator light?

Pardon me if I'm completely wrong. I don't have snap2chat I only read the app description while surfing through BlackBerry World.

No. It uses the screen. It turns white to provide light as the picture is taken. To get the best results, your brightness has to be turned all the way up.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 10:22 PM
    Sooo... Which other format has a front camera flash?
    08-01-14 10:31 PM
    Sooo... Which other format has a front camera flash?
    The Sony Xperia C3 has a front LED flash

And Walt, thanks for the clarification of how the snap2chat lighting works

walt63 likes this.
    08-01-14 11:53 PM