Something that kinda annoys me. When I open an app it has to go to the active frames screen first then the app will open.

I can understand that happening if you open the app for the first time, but if the app is already open I want to go straight to the app and bypass the active frames screen.

It just feels like a waste of time to me.

Posted via CB10
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    07-25-14 07:45 AM
    It starts loading the app immediately, so it's only a waste of time if it can load before the .5 second animation. Which in my experience isn't often.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:46 AM
    It starts loading the app immediately, so it's only a waste of time if it can load before the .5 second animation. Which in my experience isn't often.

Posted via CB10
    That animations takes you to the active frames screen then opens the app. Seems allot longer than .5 seconds to me.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:52 AM
    Actually my bigger annoyance is with active frames to begin with. I think they are pointless and get in the way. When I want to be done with an app, I "go home" like on all other phones ever made. But with BB10.....nope.... I'm not home yet....I still have that app staring at me (along with others that won't leave, like hangers-on at a party) and I can't see what I actually wanted....which is other apps to load. It takes a 2nd step to do what every other phone in existence can do in one. Most of the active frames have nearly no real function...even the built in calendar active frame only shows you one upcoming event (while it has room to display more) and only if it occurs that day.

Phone and camera and search are really perplexing. I have those icons on the screen anyway for instant access....yet I have to stare at an active frame and take another step to actually kill it or to get somewhere else.

If there is a way to completely eliminate active frames, or perhaps give them per-app functionality, that is something I would vote for. They certainly have that capability, as you can see when closing the voice response app. It just goes away....no frame hanging around wasting space after you're done using it.
    m1zantr0p likes this.
    07-25-14 08:00 AM
    Actually my bigger annoyance is with active frames to begin with. I think they are pointless and get in the way. When I want to be done with an app, I "go home" like on all other phones ever made. But with BB10.....nope.... I'm not home yet....I still have that app staring at me (along with others that won't leave, like hangers-on at a party) and I can't see what I actually wanted....which is other apps to load. It takes a 2nd step to do what every other phone in existence can do in one. Most of the active frames have nearly no real function...even the built in calendar active frame only shows you one upcoming event (while it has room to display more) and only if it occurs that day.

Phone and camera and search are really perplexing. I have those icons on the screen anyway for instant access....yet I have to stare at an active frame and take another step to actually kill it or to get somewhere else.

If there is a way to completely eliminate active frames, or perhaps give them per-app functionality, that is something I would vote for. They certainly have that capability, as you can see when closing the voice response app. It just goes away....no frame hanging around wasting space after you're done using it.
    If you dislike active frames that much then your best bet is to use a phone that handles applications in a way that you like.

The active frame encapsulates a state of the application that is neither on top (the app is visible in the full screen), nor exited. This keeps the applications that are running in the background on the active frame screen where I can manage them directly. I prefer this to the iOS method where pressing the home button does something to the application other than exiting it and shows me the home screen; and I have to bring up a different screen to actually exit the application. Different paradigms on different operating systems. Pick the one you prefer.
    07-25-14 08:38 AM
    Give us the option to disable active frames screen.

If we want to truly close and app swipe up with three fingers or pinch or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 08:44 AM
    That animations takes you to the active frames screen then opens the app. Seems allot longer than .5 seconds to me.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. Doesn't keep you moving for sure.
    07-25-14 08:51 AM
    If you dislike active frames that much then your best bet is to use a phone that handles applications in a way that you like.
    No kidding? I would have never come to that conclusion. Thank you.

The active frame encapsulates a state of the application that is neither on top (the app is visible in the full screen), nor exited.
    Exactly. In other words....it's useless. It's not open and usable, and didn't get off your screen and out of your way.

This keeps the applications that are running in the background on the active frame screen where I can manage them directly..
    What do you mean "manage" them directly? You can't do anything except simply go back to the app, which you could do just as easily by using the method found on every other phone: touching the icon (like the one already found on the same screen for phone, search and camera), or by going to the open apps screen that is one step away.

i prefer this to the iOS method where pressing the home button does something to the application other than exiting it and shows me the home screen; and I have to bring up a different screen to actually exit the application.
    Tell me again why I need to "exit the application"? Or are you saying that active frames forces the user to constantly be reminded of open apps thus more likely to close them and save memory or something?
    m1zantr0p likes this.
    07-25-14 09:19 AM
    It's nice to see that every reply trying to help or offer perspective is met with nothing but negativity. This is exactly what we need around here.

Go someplace else to complain if you aren't going to actually discuss the issue.

EDIT: This is directed at redlightblinking.

Posted via CB10
    buwee, sk8er_tor, Z10NIZED and 2 others like this.
    07-25-14 09:53 AM
    It's nice to see that every reply trying to help or offer perspective is met with nothing but negativity. This is exactly what we need around here.

Go someplace else to complain if you aren't going to actually discuss the issue.

EDIT: This is directed at redlightblinking.

Posted via CB10
    Huh? Could you be a bit more specific? I simply pointed out the obvious in my responses or asked for clarification. If you view the concept of questioning BlackBerry's superiority and as "negative" then I guess you're doomed to a life of mediocrity. I'm sure they prefer your attitude in North Korea.

And why do I have to go somewhere else to complain about active frames when in a thread that's..... complaining about active frames? The only one that didn't add to discussing the issue was your last post.
    omega supreme and chi-town311 like this.
    07-25-14 10:02 AM
    Eek! My pizza has cheese on it.
    imadorkx likes this.
    07-25-14 10:06 AM
    Eek! My pizza has cheese on it.
    Sorry to hear that. :c
    07-25-14 10:15 AM
    your gonna hate 10.3 than lol... there is a dedicated screen that never closes for active frames.
    07-25-14 10:20 AM
    your gonna hate 10.3 than lol... there is a dedicated screen that never closes for active frames.
    I think I read something about that. What were they trying to accomplish there....other than add even more steps to "get things done" or "keep moving"?
    07-25-14 10:23 AM
    That can be toggled on or off.

PS. active frames are great, that and the PlayBook/WebOS method of application switching is another great way of handling open applications.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 10:24 AM
    Active Frames are more about quickly switching back and forth between applications, in the heat of the moment while multitasking, than about displaying information. When I'm working quickly, multitasking, that's when I'm benefiting to the max with BlackBerry 10's UI. I'll give a simplified example.

With apps like BBM, Google Talk, and Yahoo instant messenger it's not necessary to have them open at all after they have been opened once. They run headlessly and are accessible through the Hub. Nevertheless, I sometimes want to have them open in Active Frames so I can toggle back and forth to see who is online, etc. while I'm using the Browser, Calendar, Remember, and BlackBerry 10's best-in-the-world native File Manager. When I'm done with my high-paced multitasking, I can close all my Active Frames if I'm OCD and inclined to do so or I can just set the phone down and close my eyes and go to sleep or Keep Moving by going about the tasks in my daily life. It makes no difference how you leave it, if you leave it, if you close it, or if the os closes it, so stop fretting over Active Frames being open or not. You're obsessing over options which are so flexible they should satisfy both types of users, the ones who are OCD and the ones who are not. People are being ridiculous when they complain about the problems, complain about the solutions, and complain about having too many options.
    sk8er_tor and Rowan M like this.
    07-25-14 10:29 AM
    That can be toggled on or off.

PS. active frames are great, that and the PlayBook/WebOS method of application switching is another great way of handling open applications.

Posted via CB10
    Glad to hear it can be toggled.

When you say "handing open applications", what do you mean? Is there something I'm missing here about open applications?

Also, for the record, Playbook is not the same as BB10. The "Active frames" on playbook are in addition to the app icons at the bottom of the screen. When you push back an app, you don't need to do a 2nd step to get to the some other apps, they are already there. BB10 forces you to push those active frames out of the way each and every time before you can do anything else (except re-open a frame that might be on front of you)
    07-25-14 10:31 AM
    Active Frames are more about quickly switching back and forth between applications, in the heat of the moment while multitasking, than about displaying information. When I'm working quickly, multitasking, that's when I'm benefiting to the max with BlackBerry 10's UI. I'll give a simplified example.

With apps like BBM, Google Talk, and Yahoo instant messenger it's not necessary to have them open at all after they have been opened once. They run headlessly and are accessible through the Hub. Nevertheless, I sometimes want to have them open in Active Frames so I can toggle back and forth to see who is online, etc. while I'm using the Browser, Calendar, Remember, and BlackBerry 10's best-in-the-world native File Manager. When I'm done with my high-paced multitasking, I can close all my Active frames if I'm OCD and inclined to do so or I can just set the phone down and close my eyes and go to sleep or Keep Moving by going about the tasks in my daily life. It makes no difference how you leave it, if you leave it, if you close it, or if the os closes it, so stop fretting over Active Frames being open or not. You're obsessing over options which are so flexible they should satisfy both types of users, the ones who are OCD and the ones who are not. People are being ridiculous when they complain about the problems, complain about the solutions, and complain about having too many options.
    But can't you do everything you cited in that example without active frames? If the icons for the apps you mentioned.....the ones in which you often go quickly back and forth between.....are all on your home screen and appear as soon as you go there (instead of the active frames screen)....can't you just touch the app icon instead of the active frame anyway? I can do exactly what you're describing with multiple other phones and OS's that don't have this concept of active frames.

What do you mean about the options that are "so flexible"? Or that people have "too many options"? There are no options to active frames....that's the whole crux of this discussion. You are stuck with them. No options.
    07-25-14 10:36 AM
    But can't you do everything you cited in that example without active frames? If the icons for the apps you mentioned.....the ones in which you often go quickly back and forth between.....are all on your home screen and appear as soon as you go there (instead of the active frames screen)....can't you just touch the app icon instead of the active frame anyway? I can do exactly what you're describing with multiple other phones and OS's that don't have this concept of active frames.
    Remember when people started the whole thing about pinning Active Frames? Why??? What I mean is that Active Frames are for in-the-moment multitasking, and pinned apps would just slow me down. When I'm switching back and forth between two, three, or four apps I don't want pinned apps in the way of the ones I'm using in the moment so I have to look for icons like on a home screen, or home screens, in folders, whatever. Same thing with the complaints a while back about the bottom four Active Frames. When they're not-so-active, the frames drop down to the lower screen, and that's logical, makes sense. When you consider this, you'll see that you really can't do what I'm describing on other phones because those other phones don't have Active Frames. They have static icons on home screen(s), not icons that will move to the top left location when being used for easy, super-fast switching.

What do you mean about the options that are "so flexible"? There are no options to active frames....that's the whole crux of this discussion. You are stuck with them. No options.
    The options I was referring to were to leave the Active Frames open (whether or not you're doing anything else), close them if you want to for whatever reason(s), or keep opening even more apps and just let the OS close the ones that have dropped to position 8. Who cares if the phone app, camera app, or some headless app like Google Talk which you're done observing contacts on (or any other app you've stopped using in an immediate multitasking session) drops to position 8 and is closed by the OS next time you open something else?
    07-25-14 10:48 AM
    Remember when people started the whole thing about pinning Active Frames? Why??? What I mean is that Active Frames are for in-the-moment multitasking, and pinning them would just slow me down. When I'm switching back and forth between two, three, or four apps I don't want pinned apps in the way of the ones I'm using in the moment so I have to look for icons on a home screen, or home screens, in folders, whatever. Same thing with the complaints a while back about the bottom four Active Screens. When they're not-so-active, the frames drop down to the lower screen, and that's logical, makes sense. When you consider this, you'll see that really can't do what I'm describing on other phones because those other phones don't have Active Frames. They have static icons on home screen(s), not icons that will move to the top left location when being used.
    First, pinning active frames is an entirely different discussion, and that would be an option, one that we don't have now, even though you kept referring to all these options people have.

Second, to answer your question of "why", the most logical anser is so you always have a specific favorite app easily in front of you to A: see what ever it might display, like a weather widget might do, and B: always be there to touch to get quickly to an often used app. Otherwise, it's always in some random location on the active screens page, or perhaps not even there.

Third (zehkaiser, let me know if I'm being "disrespectful" by simply responding point by point in a organized manner), why can't you do this on any other phone? I just did exactly what you described on my Android phone and my BBOS and my IOS device....except, I wasn't limited to only 4 apps to quickly jump to. You go to home screen, then touch the icon you want to go to next. Simple.

The options I was referring to were to leave the Active Frames open (whether or not you're doing anything else), close them if you want to for whatever reason(s), or keep opening even more apps and just let the OS close the ones that have dropped to position 8.
    How is that an "option" if you're forced to do it in order to see my apps upon closing another app. That's like saying you have the option to fix your car after someone scratches it.

Who cares if the phone app, camera app, or some headless app like Google Talk which you're done observing contacts on (or any other app you've stopped using in an immediate multitasking session) drops to position 8 and is closed by the OS next time you open something else?
    I don't know, who?

No one was presenting that scenario. The scenario being presented was if you close phone, camera or search, you don't NEED an active frame taking up space because you already have a permanently installed shortcut on the screen anyway. And no one said anything about any headless apps in regards to this discussion.
    07-25-14 10:59 AM
    I agree that active frames have no value... bbm shows a random persons update, so because of that I have hidden ALL my contacts updates. I have never seen an active frame that provides me with any value, most I find offer me negative value (ie: my experience would be better if it was just a static icon that indicates that the app is running)

Also, having to click that tiny X on the Q10 to close apps is error prone, I much prefer androids method of closing apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 11:09 AM
    I agree that active frames have no value... bbm shows a random persons update, so because of that I have hidden ALL my contacts updates. I have never seen an active frame that provides me with any value, most I find offer me negative value (ie: my experience would be better if it was just a static icon that indicates that the app is running)

Also, having to click that tiny X on the Q10 to close apps is error prone, I much prefer androids method of closing apps.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. It seems odd that only BB10 decided that people need to keep looking at an app after they are done with it, and worse yet, it keeps putting up info that in some cases that you don't want displayed.

I think a much better way would be to push the active frames (via a specific gesture only) to a smaller stack on on side of the screen but still give you access to your other icons immediately. in the mean time, every last app you ever use requires two steps to close or to simply see something else. This is literally double the steps required on all other phones ever made. BB went out of their way to slow people down. (IMHO)
    07-25-14 11:15 AM
    First, pinning active frames is an entirely different discussion, and that would be an option, one that we don't have now, even though you kept referring to all these options people have. Second, to answer your question of "why", the most logical anser is so you always have a specific favorite app easily in front of you to A: see what ever it might display, like a weather widget might do, and B: always be there to touch to get quickly to an often used app. Otherwise, it's always in some random location on the active screens page, or perhaps not even there.
    I brought up pinning apps to clarify what I said about the primary reason for Active Frames: lightning fast in-the-moment multitaksing, not for leaving open all day so you can light your screen and refer to them like some widget on an android home screen. Sure, you can leave your weather app in an Active Frame, and it will stay at the top all day showing you that it's 77 degrees if you don't do anything else all day, but that probably means you're not a power user and might benefit from a more simplistic os like ios or android. Lightning fast multitasking is the Blackberry 10 Active Frames way and for Blackberry 10 power users that trumps the ios/android way of seeing that it's 77 degrees out every time you light your home screen just to check if there's a message you're not aware of.

The scenario being presented was if you close phone, camera or search, you don't NEED an active frame taking up space because you already have a permanently installed shortcut on the screen anyway. And no one said anything about any headless apps in regards to this discussion.
    You need the Active Frame to each of those for lightning fast back and forth multitasking. When you're done with phone, search, or camera, close it ... or let it drop to the bottom, and the os will do it for you.
    07-25-14 11:15 AM
    I agree that active frames have no value... bbm shows a random persons update ...
    Active Frames are more about the user being active (in high speed multitasking) and about the app being active (i.e. running in the os) than about the display information being active. The display information is a nice benefit when a frame shows it accurately (e.g. weather, clock, calendar), but its widgetlike functionality in no way supersedes the other powerful Active Frames multitasking benefits of the os.
    07-25-14 11:21 AM
    I brought up pinning apps to clarify what I said about the primary reason for Active Frames: lightning fast in-the-moment multitaksing, not for leaving open all day so you can light your screen and refer to them like some widget on an android home screen..
    Uh, ok. But you said pinning frames did the opposite of that. And nobody was talking about pinning them. You just threw that in.

Sure, you can leave your weather app in an Active Frame, and it will stay at the top all day showing you that it's 77 degrees if you don't do anything else all day, but that probably means you're not a power user and might benefit from a more simplistic os like ios or android. Lightning fast multitasking is the Blackberry 10 Active Frames way and for Blackberry 10 power users that trumps the ios/android way of seeing that it's 77 degrees out every time you light your home screen just to check if there's a message you're not aware of.
    What does having a widget that tells you the temperature without having to go look for it have to do with being a power user or not? What if wx is part of your job? In that case...you're a power user that needs to know the weather a lot. I beg to differ about a "simplistic" OS. Android is WAY more powerful in terms of flexibility. BB10 is the "simplistic" one. you basically have app icons and active frames. That's it.

Why can't you light your screen to check and message AND see the other importand info.........like.....the weather? See where I'm going here? BB10 is restricting you.

You need the Active Frame to each of those for lightning fast back and forth multitasking.
    Yes, you've said this multiple times now, but still haven't described how it's any different than any other phone that simply allows you to touch an icon (instead of an active frame) to get to some other app next. Why do you keep avoiding that question?

When you're done with phone, search, or camera, close it ... or let it drop to the bottom, and the os will do it for you.
    Yes, I know that you must close it. That's the entire point. WHY do I have to close it? I just closed it. Now it's just in my way and preventing access to those things that I WANT to be an active frame, such as the apps that the "power users" you decribed" might often jump to.

Why do I need a shortcut for those (an active frame) when that screen has permanent icons ANYWAY?

Why do you also keep avoiding that question?
    07-25-14 11:36 AM
88 123 ...