Hi all.
    I've been using a z30 for a few months now and think the os and phone is extremely good.
    I've decided to role out 5 handsets to some of my managers and would like some advise please.

We use an exchange server so business email will be delivered through this. I have no real issues with the chaps putting their own email accounts and apps etc onto the handsets but I'd like to retian control over such things as BlackBerry Protect.

Questions:
    1. Can I add these handsets to my BlackBerry Protect account set up for my handset?
    2. Would the user be able to disable BlackBerry Protect?
    3. Are there settings I can switch on within the os to block certain apps / settings?
    4. If the answer to number 1 is yes, then if the user registers their own BlackBerry Protect account, would they get a message to say the handset is already registered?

I hope that all makes sense?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:27 AM
    It boils down to budget. Does it warrant to go down the bes 10 route? How much control do you want over your staff?
    01-23-14 01:33 AM
    Our server is remote hosted by a company called Intermedia.com so I assumed bes route wouldn't be open to me. However, our hosted exchange does have a section to deliver to Blackberry handsets, but again, I assumed this was for pre os10 devices and not bes.

I need to research that side I think.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:47 AM
    There are hosted bes options. They are about 10$ a month or so.

Sent from what ever device I got my hands on via Tapatalk
    01-23-14 01:53 AM
    According to my hosted exchange site they offer BES. But one comment on their website I'm a little confused with is the bit about it would need a blackberry data plan from my mobile phone provider. Is this still relevant, wouldn't the services be delivered over my normal data plan?

"Outlook desktop to your smartphone.
    To get started with BlackBerry hosting you will need our hosted Microsoft Exchange service. You will also need an appropriate�BlackBerry data plan with your mobile network operator."

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:57 AM
    Just email them, if they offer hosted bes10, by the sounds of things you do want to have a degree of control over your mobile workforce.

http://www.hosting.ca/blackberry-hosting.php option for you

Sent from what ever device I got my hands on via Tapatalk
    uktivo likes this.
    01-23-14 02:06 AM
    Maybe You can set up Your own BES, You don't need to integrate it into the domain.

Your provider for the Exchange has the EAS-Interface enabled, so that you can use EAS on any (i- or Android or WP) device. The BES doesn't do anything else. It enables control over the devices and is a container for the device to connect to the Exchange by using EAS.

Therefor You can deal with your own BES to gain control, provide applications and delete workspace-related content if any device will be lost.

Blackberry Protect is connected via the Balckberry-ID, which have to be on the device. You can use the Blackberry-ID on multiple devices, but you won't be able to use 2 BB-ID related services on one device with 2 different BB-IDs at the same time.

Anyway, if this would work, it would be a perfect tracking tool and enabling that Your staff should agree to be tracked on any step by a third person, even after work. Or they should switch the device off.
    01-23-14 02:21 AM
    Maybe You can set up Your own BES, You don't need to integrate it into the domain.

Your provider for the Exchange has the EAS-Interface enabled, so that you can use EAS on any (i- or Android or WP) device. The BES doesn't do anything else. It enables control over the devices and is a container for the device to connect to the Exchange by using EAS.

Therefor You can deal with your own BES to gain control, provide applications and delete workspace-related content if any device will be lost.

Blackberry Protect is connected via the Balckberry-ID, which have to be on the device. You can use the Blackberry-ID on multiple devices, but you won't be able to use 2 BB-ID related services on one device with 2 different BB-IDs at the same time.

Anyway, if this would work, it would be a perfect tracking tool and enabling that Your staff should agree to be tracked on any step by a third person, even after work. Or they should switch the device off.
    Wow, have to say that 90% of that went over my head.. but I appreciate the input.. I do have an IT guy that looks after our network. I will point him to this thread to see if this is something within his capabilities.
    My Hosted exchange have just replied saying they do not and may not moving forward support Blackberry Enterprise Server 10.

Not great news as I wanted an easy to set up solution.
    01-23-14 02:58 AM
    Feel free to ask any question (or maybe better tell the it-guy that he can ask ;-))

Even it sounds complicated, it's a really easy to use solution with many other benefits on top - depending on Your infrastructure.

And of course with one main point: it's a safe solution! :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 04:36 AM
    According to my hosted exchange site they offer BES. But one comment on their website I'm a little confused with is the bit about it would need a blackberry data plan from my mobile phone provider. Is this still relevant, wouldn't the services be delivered over my normal data plan?

To get started with BlackBerry hosting you will need our hosted Microsoft Exchange service. You will also need an appropriate?BlackBerry data plan with your mobile network operator."

Posted via CB10
    With BES10 No special BES data plan is required anymore. That is/was for BES5 & lower, aka legacy BlackBerry
    01-23-14 06:42 AM
    Oh & you may want to check out the upcoming BES10 Cloud.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 06:49 AM
    I am currently trialing BES10 cloud. Works great and doesn't need to integrate with our Exchange server. Just gives me the control I need to manage our devices. Also, allows management of iOS and Android devices...

Posted via CB10
    BBPandy likes this.
    01-23-14 07:24 AM

To get started with BlackBerry hosting you will need our hosted Microsoft Exchange service. You will also need an appropriate�BlackBerry data plan with your mobile network operator."

Posted via CB10
    You dont need BB data plan on BB10 devices. I'm a user of Z30 on BES10. Any regular plan for data is what's required (similar to iOS, Droid or WP8).

Z30 - Simply the best. End of discussion!
    01-23-14 08:51 AM
    Just to be correct : any normal user won't need a special blackberry dataplan while running an OS10 device. Neither do the typical Enterprise customers with an own installation of BES need that any more.

But: there is a scenario with a special license to connect OS10 devices to a BES 10 where a special and provider-dependend plan is needed. This is called EMM regulated.

:-D

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:35 AM
    Just to be correct : any normal user won't need a special blackberry dataplan while running an OS10 device. Neither do the typical Enterprise customers with an own installation of BES need that any more.

But: there is a scenario with a special license to connect OS10 devices to a BES 10 where a special and provider-dependend plan is needed. This is called EMM regulated.

Posted via CB10
    Only in case a specific version of BES10 is rolled out. Not otherwise. On a standard BES10 Product, one doesn't require a specific plan. My firm has deployed that product. And, i haven't taken any extra license nor data plan.

Z30 - Simply the best. End of discussion!
    01-23-14 10:46 PM
    I am currently trialing BES10 cloud. Works great and doesn't need to integrate with our Exchange server. Just gives me the control I need to manage our devices. Also, allows management of iOS and Android devices...

Posted via CB10
    UPDATE:
    Blimey.. Blackberry have made this almost impossible to get into.
    I managed to find the log in point. Basically, I had applied for an account, that had been approved last night, but when I logged into the account there were no orders for the cloud demo there. So I had to find out where to log in again to create the order.. After 30 mins I found it. logged in, then the BB system didn't recognise my business trading address and no matter what I put in there, it wouldn't accept it. I ended up picking from a list it generated of businesses close to me, then edited that, guess what, still no joy.. I gave up in the end and I had to use a different business name close to me. Madness. If BB what to follow up on this and promote new stuff. You have my wrong address..

================================================== ========================

I looked at the cloud based solution last night and signed up for a trial. Gone through the activation process but now I can't find anywhere to log into my newly created account. Don't suppose you have a Web address for logging in please?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by uktivo; 01-24-14 at 04:32 AM.
    01-24-14 03:50 AM
    UPDATE:
    Blimey.. Blackberry have made this almost impossible to get into.
    I managed to find the log in point. Basically, I had applied for an account, that had been approved last night, but when I logged into the account there were no orders for the cloud demo there. So I had to find out where to log in again to create the order.. After 30 mins I found it. logged in, then the BB system didn't recognise my business trading address and no matter what I put in there, it wouldn't accept it. I ended up picking from a list it generated of businesses close to me, then edited that, guess what, still no joy.. I gave up in the end and I had to use a different business name close to me. Madness. If BB what to follow up on this and promote new stuff. You have my wrong address..

================================================== ========================

I looked at the cloud based solution last night and signed up for a trial. Gone through the activation process but now I can't find anywhere to log into my newly created account. Don't suppose you have a Web address for logging in please?

Posted via CB10
    Ouch. I guess that's why it's still in development

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 06:04 AM
    Ok all up and running now.

I've tried it on my handset and I now have a work and personal section but I have a couple of questions.
    1. Why can I see all emails including work ones in my personal hub? Shouldn't these now be separated?

2. I have a similar issue with contacts, I can see both work (exchange) ones and personal ones in both work and personal hubs

3. My work calendar hasn't synchronised even though I've checked and it is set up to do so

4. If I do get the contacts separated into work and personal. Does anyone know which will sync to my car Bluetooth?

I'm sure I will have loads more but these will be ok for starters

Any info / advise most welcome

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 01:00 PM
    is intermedia reliable? Did you migrate from another provider? I am thinking of switching from godaddy imap to intermedia.
    09-12-14 04:58 PM
    Ok all up and running now.

I've tried it on my handset and I now have a work and personal section but I have a couple of questions.
    1. Why can I see all emails including work ones in my personal hub? Shouldn't these now be separated?

2. I have a similar issue with contacts, I can see both work (exchange) ones and personal ones in both work and personal hubs

3. My work calendar hasn't synchronised even though I've checked and it is set up to do so

4. If I do get the contacts separated into work and personal. Does anyone know which will sync to my car Bluetooth?

I'm sure I will have loads more but these will be ok for starters

Any info / advise most welcome

Posted via CB10
    For #1&2, there is a policy setting on the BES where you can force the segregation you are working for.. However I think users can opt to do this manually by simply changing what is displayed in the Hub & Contacts under each profile.

Not sure what to say about #3 other than to maybe give it time? You might also try scheduling something in your work calendar through your BlackBerry device to see if it syncs over in that driection.

For #4 I had all my contacts synced over but that's because they were not forcibly segregated. I would suspect just personal ones would come over if you segregated but that's just a guess.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    09-13-14 11:40 AM