I know we are still missing apps like Instagram and I believe Pandora. Thankfully, our guy Alec and BBRY are working on it.

Im a firm believer that you don't need an app to view a basic website.

I want to know how legit the browser is. Give it a thorough test run with sites like ESPN, CNN, WSJ, All Recipes, Craigslist, etc.

Does it do a good job with reader mode and rendering videos? Does it render out the mobile version instead of the desktop? Share your thoughts and findings.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    02-01-13 06:48 AM
    Rending in mobile is the website maker's issue, NOT the device. The browser is very very good, but still shows mobile when redirected just like any other phone would (when redirected).
    02-01-13 06:50 AM
    Rending in mobile is the website maker's issue, NOT the device.
    True but sometimes, the device doesn't always pick it up. I know this from experience in web development.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    02-01-13 07:22 AM
    I hadn't seen this before. It is a browser comparison. Also he shows some settings at the end of the video, and it looks like you can force the Site to render full Page and not mobile. BlackBerry Z 10 Browser vs Galaxy Note II, iPhone, and ATIV Odyssey - YouTube .
    playbookster likes this.
    02-01-13 07:53 AM
    Rending in mobile is the website maker's issue, NOT the device. The browser is very very good, but still shows mobile when redirected just like any other phone would (when redirected).
    There is a setting in the Browser options that allows you to set it to desktop mode so that you don't have mobile redirects
    02-01-13 08:05 AM
    From what I've read, the BlackBerry 10 browser is one of the best mobile browsers right now. It supports a lot of the HTML 5 standard (The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?) and it does quite well in synthetic benchmarks compared to other mobile browsers.

A lot of how a webpage works on a mobile browser depends on how well it was programmed. As was mentioned before, you can force the browser to usually fetch the desktop version of a mobile site. However, I've come across a decent number of websites that will still feed you the mobile site, but they usually offer a full view option if it's programmed well.

So, to answer your question, the BlackBerry 10 browser is quite legit.
    02-01-13 08:29 AM
    I'd like to see some forum hands on comparisons with other devices. The HTML 5 test doesn't mean squat to me if it still hangs on rendering javascript like the PlayBook and BBOS devices did. And honestly, most customers won't care if you can get around this by turning JavaScript off or if the website owner didn't include BlackBerry 10 in their test plans. They just want it to work.

The Torch Mobile guys did a decent job improving the browsing experience for existing BlackBerry customers (9800, PlayBook) in the past, but they certainly didn't catch up to the latest browsers on other devices. And it seemed like how the device handled JavaScript was partly to blame.
    mikeo007 and kbz1960 like this.
    02-01-13 08:33 AM
    Been using the new BB10 browser for some time on the dev alpha and it's pretty dam good. Web pages render very very quickly. Way way way way better than what's on the PlayBook.
    nappp, kbz1960 and zyben like this.
    02-01-13 10:28 AM
    Been using the new BB10 browser for some time on the dev alpha and it's pretty dam good. Web pages render very very quickly. Way way way way better than what's on the PlayBook.
    Agreed. I think I still need a lot more browsing time with it to know if it suffers any serious ailments though.

Until then though, I can easily comment that browsing is damned fast.
    zyben likes this.
    02-01-13 11:01 AM
    Agreed. I think I still need a lot more browsing time with it to know if it suffers any serious ailments though.

Until then though, I can easily comment that browsing is damned fast.
    Partially, I don't have a Z10, and so I'm not sure what the browsing on it is like. Considering the Dev Alpha has a beta OS, the browser works pretty well. Sometimes it holds up and doesn't load, but a restart of the browser gets rid of the problem. As I said, I am spending more time browsing on my dev alpha than on my playbook, just because it's so much faster in rendering (with NO CHECKERBOXING).
    kbz1960 and zyben like this.
    02-01-13 04:04 PM
    Off topic, but you mentioned Pandora - Apollo is an excellent free Pandora client.
    zyben likes this.
    02-01-13 04:11 PM
    Off topic, but you mentioned Pandora - Apollo is an excellent free Pandora client.
    I use Apollo on my PlayBook. I really like. A little glitchy sometimes, but it does the job.

Im guessing that it's available for BB10?
    02-02-13 06:27 AM
    I use Apollo on my PlayBook. I really like. A little glitchy sometimes, but it does the job. Im guessing that it's available for BB10?
    Sure is
    walt63 likes this.
    02-02-13 08:41 AM
    Is there a page view within the browser, as in creating a "reader" version of a website? I am currently on a office supplied iPhone 4S, and the lack of a page view forces me to use Opera Mini for just that reason.

I am probably not asking this using the correct terminology, but you know what I mean...

Thanks...
    02-02-13 09:37 AM
    Is there a page view within the browser, as in creating a "reader" version of a website? I am currently on a office supplied iPhone 4S, and the lack of a page view forces me to use Opera Mini for just that reason.

I am probably not asking this using the correct terminology, but you know what I mean...

Thanks...
    Yes, there is a reader mode.
    Blackfeet likes this.
    02-02-13 09:40 AM

Thanks...
    BlackBerry 10 has a reader mode in the browser, but it's very similar to the iOS Safari reader mode.
    So if Safari's reader mode doesn't do it for you, then I doubt BB10's will.
    Blackfeet likes this.
    02-02-13 09:44 AM
    Safari's reader mode works great but it is not automatic and it is not available with every web page. There may well be a very good reason for this, but I would like it to be the default view.

Is that an option in the new BB10 Browser?
    02-02-13 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD