Wow, both phones really struggled with that real estate site.
    12-18-12 11:34 AM
    Wow, both phones really struggled with that real estate site.
    Both phones didn't struggle at all --- notafanboy is not on the same wifi network. For all we know, gadget master's office is using some super slow DSL line and ancient wifi router. While notafanboy maybe using FTTH fiber line with brand new wifi router.
    12-18-12 12:06 PM
    Both phones didn't struggle at all --- notafanboy is not on the same wifi network. For all we know, gadget master's office is using some super slow DSL line and ancient wifi router. While notafanboy maybe using FTTH fiber line with brand new wifi router.
    The windows phone errored out, the bb took a long time to load, and stuttered through the image transitions. I call that a struggle, regardless of what you think their wifi speed may be. I wasn't even looking at notafanboy's video when I made the statement.
    12-18-12 12:58 PM
    The windows phone errored out, the bb took a long time to load, and stuttered through the image transitions. I call that a struggle, regardless of what you think their wifi speed may be. I wasn't even looking at notafanboy's video when I made the statement.
    It is a very complex desktop website.

https://www.allur.com/
    12-18-12 01:14 PM
    It is a very complex desktop website.

https://www.allur.com/
    Which loaded and ran perfectly on notafanboy's S3 as well as my iPhone.
    12-18-12 01:18 PM
    On a different broadband network, on a different wifi network --- with a CPU that is 150% faster than the dev alpha. And if it ran on your iPhone, it means that you are served with a iphone mobile enhanced website without the adobe flash element --- making comparison difficult.
    12-18-12 01:20 PM
    On a different broadband network, on a different wifi network --- with a CPU that is 150% faster than the dev alpha. And if it ran on your iPhone, it means that you are served with a iphone mobile enhanced website without the adobe flash element --- making comparison difficult.
    I tried out the allur website on my iPad 2 - anyone with an iOS device can try this out - the page is fully functional. A cursory examination of the source html shows that it is just javascript, no flash elements. Safari on iPad 2 loaded that website faster than my S3.

I can assure you that I am not on some fast network - I am on Rogers after all. If I had a BB10 device, I'd gladly do the test on the same network. In any event, Gadget Masters could easily re-do the test with a Galaxy S3.

I wonder why Gadget Masters chose not to do the allur.com comparison between BB10 and iPhone 5. After all their previous video had compared these two devices. Why did they pick the Windows Phone to match up against when it came to allur.com. I strongly suspect them of cherry picking the tests.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-18-12 05:01 PM
    I just tried on my 9900 and it had a hundred certificate errors, untrusted cert its https after all. That is a likely cause for the differences, the website isn't that bad.
    12-18-12 08:11 PM
    I tried to refresh the page to see if it would reload and it won't let me. lol BB security

says:
    Refusing connection. This server has been previously noted as supporting HTTP Strict Transport Security. Due to SSL cert warnings/errors, a connection will not be made.

Seems like my Mac desktop browsers FF and Chrome can deal with it.
    12-18-12 08:22 PM
    I tried out the allur website on my iPad 2 - anyone with an iOS device can try this out - the page is fully functional. A cursory examination of the source html shows that it is just javascript, no flash elements. Safari on iPad 2 loaded that website faster than my S3.

I can assure you that I am not on some fast network - I am on Rogers after all. If I had a BB10 device, I'd gladly do the test on the same network. In any event, Gadget Masters could easily re-do the test with a Galaxy S3.

I wonder why Gadget Masters chose not to do the allur.com comparison between BB10 and iPhone 5. After all their previous video had compared these two devices. Why did they pick the Windows Phone to match up against when it came to allur.com. I strongly suspect them of cherry picking the tests.
    Precisely, you are served with a different website if you are using an iOS device. If you use a desktop PC, you will find that there is a flash video player for the video.

Also this is a desktop size website --- i.e. the width is designed for horizontal resolution of 1024. Any smartphone with less than 1024 resolution would have to be rescale the website --- which takes CPU time.

From the very beginning, multiple veteran crackberry members including the guy who wrote the Playbook rooting software have stated that the dev alpha is underclocked at 1 GHz. So the videos are not going to give you much answer to the actual speed of the final BB10 device anyway. Your S3 has 1.5 GHz dual Krait cores that is at least 70% faster than the dev alpha with 1 GHz dual Cortex A9 cores (a Krait core is about 15-25% faster than a cortex A9 core running at the same speed). And the iphone 5 has a 1.3 GHz CPU that again --- even on the same GHz frequency, runs faster per GHz than the cortex A9 core.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...3/#post7519702
    Last edited by samab; 12-18-12 at 08:50 PM.
    12-18-12 08:34 PM
    Precisely, you are served with a different website if you are using an iOS device. If you use a desktop PC, you will find that there is a flash video player for the video.

Also this is a desktop size website --- i.e. the width is designed for horizontal resolution of 1024. Any smartphone with less than 1024 resolution would have to be rescale the website --- which takes CPU time.

I checked the HTML source on a laptop., not ios. I didn't see any flash, maybe you can point it out to me?
    12-18-12 08:43 PM
    I checked the HTML source on a laptop., not ios. I didn't see any flash, maybe you can point it out to me?
    The feature video is a Adobe Flash element running Moogaloop Player v5.2.49 --- which points you to a vimeo video.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/40272...e=0&portrait=0
    12-18-12 08:52 PM
    The feature video is a Adobe Flash element running Moogaloop Player v5.2.49 --- which points you to a vimeo video.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/40272...e=0&portrait=0
    That link without modification played the video on the ipad. Ate you sure the website is serving up different content for iOS?
    12-18-12 09:08 PM
    Which is why I am holding off pre-ordering from Rogers... just in case
    12-18-12 09:44 PM
    Which is why I am holding off pre-ordering from Rogers... just in case
    You should be holding off pre-ordering because there is no price, no specs, no nothing.
    12-18-12 10:15 PM
    its more of a pre-reservation than an order. And I think its safe to say not many are gonna care about pricing specs etc. its BB10!
    12-18-12 10:34 PM
    12-20-12 01:12 PM
    That guy is cherry picking for sure. Why didn't he try the gadget masters website or allur.com, like he did in the other two videos?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-20-12 01:21 PM
    That guy is cherry picking for sure. Why didn't he try the gadget masters website or allur.com, like he did in the other two videos?
    Hey Notafanboy!! BlackBerry 10 is BACK! Din't get the memo? Try new Hub with registered calendar entries. ANYWAYS.

To put this topic to an END - And SAY IT AGAIN - BlackBerry 10 has the best browser because it's nothing like you have seen before.

I REQUEST EVERYONE TO WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE WHAT HTML5 AND A GOOD BROWSER CAN DO.

Sencha Fastbook on Vimeo
    12-20-12 01:31 PM
    Visit from your Mobile Browser - Fastbook
    12-20-12 01:40 PM
    Actually he should never use obscure websites for testing in the first place (aside from self-promoting their own gadget masters website) --- he should be using widely visited websites like cnn.com.
    12-20-12 01:42 PM
    Actually he should never use obscure websites for testing in the first place (aside from self-promoting their own gadget masters website) --- he should be using widely visited websites like cnn.com.
    What he ought to be doing is be consistent with the same websites for testing. Such transparent cherry picking is pathetic fanboyism.
    12-20-12 01:46 PM
    What he ought to be doing is be consistent with the same websites for testing. Such transparent cherry picking is pathetic fanboyism.
    Yes, he should be testing popular websites like cnn.com on all the devices and show that BB10 kicks all the asses out there.
    12-20-12 01:50 PM
    Yes, he should be testing popular websites like cnn.com on all the devices and show that BB10 kicks all the asses out there.
    I was following the video along on my S3 and it loaded the CNN.com desktop website before either of the two mobile versions had rendered. I'm not on a fast internet connection either, but I the speed doesn't matter here because the pages have been cached.

The maker of the video is sketchy, choosing three different websites for three different tests. I'm hoping some Crackberry member with a BB10 device and an iPhone or SG3 sets the record straight. I suggest cnn.com, allur.com, and crackberry.com - all desktop sites.
    12-20-12 02:02 PM
    Why would you choose the allur.com and crackberry.com --- these are relatively unknown websites. And crackberry.com is known pretty much by us crackberry members to be historically a HTML mess that slows down everything.

Then there is the issue of dev alpha's underclocking to 1 GHz. Even if the dev alpha is not underclocked and it is running at full 1.5 GHz on the OMAP4470, the dev alpha's 1.5 GHz cortex A9 core would still be 30% slower than Samsung S3's 1.5 GHz Krait core.

AnandTech - Qualcomm's New Snapdragon S4: MSM8960 & Krait Architecture Explored
    12-20-12 02:12 PM
112 ... 2345