On computer OS's there is usually a way to boot in a "safe mode" that doesn't load things like headless apps etc. Is there a way to do this on BB 10 OS 10.2.1?
    01-01-14 11:41 AM
    On computer OS's there is usually a way to boot in a "safe mode" that doesn't load things like headless apps etc. Is there a way to do this on BB 10 OS 10.2.1?
    you mean headless apps boot when the phone does? doesn't sound logical...
    01-01-14 12:53 PM
    They can and most probably will I surmise. There was a safe mode in BBOS where when booting you hold the back key during boot and it would not load third party apps ( Quick Tip - How to Boot Your BlackBerry in Safe Mode | CrackBerry.com ). Wondering if anyone knows if there is anything similar on BB 10? Maybe hold the media key?
    FF22 likes this.
    01-01-14 01:27 PM
    No apps can run on startup. There is no access to the startup process. So no need. The os only loads what it always loads. So no apps can install themselves as a auto startup program

Posted from [email protected]#ATT via CB10
    01-01-14 06:07 PM
    No apps can run on startup. There is no access to the startup process. So no need. The os only loads what it always loads. So no apps can install themselves as a auto startup program

So the expectation is a user is going to manually start each one of their headless apps every time the phone reboots? That just doesn't seem right.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 06:19 PM
    No, they do begin on startup. If you have purchased one already you will notice they are running already after a reboot without you having to do anything to start them up.

I was wondering if like old BBOS / Mac OS X / Windows there is a safe boot mode in case one of these apps is seemingly malfunctioning and causing bootup problems etc.
    01-01-14 06:31 PM
    Anybody got proof that they startup while the phone reboots? I'd actually rather have an option to startup a headless app when the phone boots rather than it being automatic. One thing I hated on BBOS was the background apps starting up when the phone booted and having to exit out of the apps individually.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 07:05 PM
    Something has to trigger the headless app to run. Since the whole program is not running only a specific part. So the program does not load on startup. Unless my documentation from BlackBerry developers is now wrong

01-01-14 07:33 PM
    I have Profile Changer, I have set my phone to change its profile to silent at 1pm and back to normal at 9pm, the app is headless so I haven't opened it since I set this profile and I have noticed that even if I reboot my phone, the profile still changes at the scheduled time. So this to me says that headless apps run at startup.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 08:05 PM
    I have Profile Changer, I have set my phone to change its profile to silent at 1pm and back to normal at 9pm, the app is headless so I haven't opened it since I set this profile and I have noticed that even if I reboot my phone, the profile still changes at the scheduled time. So this to me says that headless apps run at startup.

Posted via CB10
    only way to show this is when it happens and you providing us a screenshot of the app's CPU usage before and during the scheduled event.
    01-01-14 09:13 PM
    the only headless app I have is hub++, and after a reboot or battery pull it loads itself, which I like because I don't have to remember to do it.
    01-01-14 09:23 PM
    The headless apps that I have do indeed auto-start. That's kind of the POINT of a long-running headless app.

So I agree with the OP, that now that we are starting to get real headless apps, we need to think about things like how to skip loading of them, in case they are causing boot problems.

I haven't had that problem myself, but I would be very surprised if someone doesn't have it before long. Pure common sense.

There is a new app permission called "Run in Background". I haven't tried turning that off on a headless app to see if in effect it is also the "don't launch on boot" button.
    01-02-14 04:52 AM
    And an option to start the phone without loading specific services, like the android runtime for example. I've read in more than one occasion that it causes the phone to act weird when it's malfunctioning or you have the wrong version loaded...

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    01-02-14 06:19 AM
    And an option to start the phone without loading specific services, like the android runtime for example. I've read in more than one occasion that it causes the phone to act weird when it's malfunctioning or you have the wrong version loaded...

The Android runtime is a critical component and necessary to run a huge proportion of apps from BlackBerry World. I don't see much likelihood of BlackBerry making that optional.

However the runtime doesn't actually initialize and start using much in the way of resources, from what I can tell, until the 1st Android app is launched after a hard restart.

Soft restarts don't appear to re-initialize the Android runtime, only hard restarts.
    01-02-14 12:21 PM
    I have an unusable z10. It gets to 100% boot scrreen but no further. Headless apps are running and so are notificatons. I can hear them. I have not been able to get past the screen that shows the boot progress image and can touch it and see 100%. I have Watcher installed and it emits audio alerts. I used another photo to call my z10. There is no ring tone but there is a notification tone afterwards for the missed call. I have been fighting for the past 7 hours. Does anyone know a work around. I want to driable all installed beadles apps from running at boot time to get a better understanding. Sadly I am bricked. Help.
    Last edited by Observer2; 02-08-14 at 03:16 PM. Reason: clarity
    02-08-14 03:09 PM
    I have an unusable z10. It gets to 100% boot scrreen but no further. Headless apps are running and so are notificatons. I can hear them. I have not been able to get past the screen that shows the boot progress image and can touch it and see 100%. I have Watcher installed and it emits audio alerts. I used another photo to call my z10. There is no ring tone but there is a notification tone afterwards for the missed call. I have been fighting for the past 7 hours. Does anyone know a work around. I want to driable all installed beadles apps from running at boot time to get a better understanding. Sadly I am bricked. Help.
    I had this problem, two or three times. I had to autoload and restore. I then removed a couple of headless apps like watcher, on location, and say it. If you only have watcher same as me, then I'd say that's more than a coincidence. Someone also mentioned a conflict between watcher and basa, which I also have installed.

I decided to hold off for a bit for them to work out some more bugs, but I don?t think this is known without confirmation.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 03:40 PM
    I did find an article about safe mode for Dev simulators on bb10

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 03:48 PM
    I did find an article about safe mode for Dev simulators on bb10

Posted via CB10
    Link, or it didn't happen.
    02-08-14 03:56 PM
    Link, or it didn't happen.
    [URL="http://developer.blackberry.com/develop/simulator/blackberry_10_release_notes.html"]
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-08-14 04:04 PM
    wasn't so much an article but a paragraph about it. LOL
    02-08-14 04:05 PM
    Been running with 1925 since December availability. This is VERY important NEWS. I just got it to boot to z10 desktop after not getting past the 100% screen for over 8 hours of trying. I went to settings and turned off all apps permissions to run in background. There is 7 of them. I turned phone off then pulled battery then reinserted sdcard and Sim then plugged in battery. Phone started normal. Damnable what a pain in my ***! This is a huge problem and waiting for other users. How do we get pertinent visibility for blackberry to resolve?
    02-08-14 04:07 PM

Jeez I wish people would stick to what they know.

One of the short running headless application triggers is indeed system start.

Others are
    • Push messages
    • geofence enter and leave
    • Port-directed SMS
    • Application updated.

There shouldn't be a need to have a safe mode since headless applications are limited to how much processing time they get.

If you do have trouble, disable background, or delete all the applications. Then add them back one at a time until you find the bad app and report it to the developer.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 02-08-14 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Add links
    MrGlenn and Pete The Penguin like this.
    02-08-14 04:08 PM
    [URL="http://developer.blackberry.com/develop/simulator/blackberry_10_release_notes.html"]
    More like 'referred to'. We're looking for the sequence to get into safe mode, if possible.
    02-08-14 06:48 PM
    More like 'referred to'. We're looking for the sequence to get into safe mode, if possible.
    My apologies.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 08:03 PM
    well it looks like stardomains has been looking for this since January i noticed. I don't think i can help much.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by red72; 02-08-14 at 08:56 PM.
    02-08-14 08:14 PM
65 123