I only use bluetooth in my car so thinking of using NFC tags in the car to toggle Bluetooth.
    So I would have to leave NFC running all the time. how does NFC affect the battery? Is it better or worse than leaving Bluetooth on?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 06:19 AM
    This is a situation I've thought about also. The conclusion I came to is, leave NFC off (I'm not using it yet) and leave BT on. If I'm in the car for a while, I plug my Z10 into the charger anyway.

The general rule I follow is, radios only use significant power when transmitting. When they are just listening for a contact, they barely use any power at all. Generally, BT devices broadcast their presence when the power on. However, since the car BT has continuous power, I suspect it broadcasts more often. Since your phone is mostly listening, it uses little energy when BT is on.

NFC is a very low power transmitter. It uses very little energy but, it could be slightly more than BT in listen mode.
    03-16-13 06:42 AM
    NFC is *very* light on battery. Then again, so is Bluetooth 4.0. I always have NFC, Bluetooth, and Wifi on. I've tried turning them off when not in use before to see if it would make a difference, but it's so negligible that it isn't worth it. You'll get combined savings of maybe 2% battery life with all of those. With Bluetooth off, maybe .5%, and I don't think NFC would even affect your batt life by .1%.
    03-16-13 12:30 PM
    according to the blackberry blog on how to save battery, both are designed with efficiency in mind.
    03-16-13 05:16 PM
    Thanks for all your replies. I might just leave Bluetooth on as it's low powered and also when I'm in the car both NFC & Bluetooth are on instead of just Bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 04:16 AM