Having been recently forced onto BB by corporate edict, I find myself longing for any other platform. But as it stands, I would like to vent and hopefully improve BB to the point of being a usable platform. I know the likelihood of the developers reading this are small, but none the less...

1) Make the "quick launch" bar customizeable. Users should be able to put their primary apps on the quick launch area, not be forced to use Phone, Search, Camera.

2) Selecting multiple emails and deleting should take no more than 2 taps (see Windows Phone).

3) Keep controls together. Having the email send at the tope is pure stupidity.

4) Get rid of Hub. It clutters communications. If you separate them out, then the Hub no longer functional.

5) Make BBM uninstallable or closeable. Some of us don't use and would like the memory back.

6) Simplify menus. Too many different places and ways to get at settings, options, etc.

7) Limit gestures. A simple home button would be much more efficient.

8) Get back to what made Blackberry's valuable - operation with one hand and one thumb. Used to be able send entire messages without looking at the phone.

9) Workspaces is nice idea, but there should only be one interface. Switching between the 2 is tiresome. I am spending more time switching than actually working. Just give me a personal and work icon and I will click the one I need.

10) Text input box is ridiculously small.

11) Text message threading is horrible. Again see Windows Phone, Android, or even iPhone.

12) All words in a persons contact list should automatically be added to the dictionary. Don't tell me I am spelling my child's name wrong.

13) When I "X" out of an app, close it. I hate going into Device Monitor and finding the app eating up resources in the background.

14) Allow Hub to be disabled.

15) The search shortcut on the quick launch needs to include options for all resources - web, navigation, etc. I am searching, search.

16) When I search the web, search local first. I searched for Lowe's today, my primary results were 800 miles away. Sad...

17) Let me place icons wherever I please. Quit auto arranging. I may want that space there.

It is great to have a secure and possibly powerful platform, but the pain of using it has driven many away. If I had any other choice, I would be gone as well. Go use a Windows Phone and see how smooth and effortless managing communications is. Go use an android and see how you can tailor it your way. Go use an iPhone and see its simplicity (and limitations). Blackberry can be good once more, but it has to not give people migraines in its operation.
    Last edited by dwdino; 04-26-15 at 10:13 PM.
    04-26-15 08:15 PM
    You bring up some good points and some I don't agree with like the hub. Hold onto your hat cause I'm sure a blasting will be coming about how wrong you are.
    04-26-15 08:24 PM
    Number 2)
    - select the quick actions logo at the top-right (three lines and a checkmark). You can delete all in one click now.
    - press and hold an email, push select more. Click on all the ones you want and push delete.

Posted via CB10
    shupor likes this.
    04-26-15 08:24 PM
    I understand how the select and delete work, but it is far too complicated. For comparison, in WP you simply tap the left edge of a message and the selection check boxes appear. 5 taps and 5 selected messages.

Also, in most other smartphones, delete is a primary action always available in the message list. Having it in a sub menu is inefficient.

I have enabled the quick delete option since loading the Beta. However, I now loose a third of my screen.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:44 PM
    No problem. As a veteran, I love a good flame fest.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:45 PM
    No offense, but it's as clear as day that you do not know how to use a BB10 device efficiently. I would recommend you spend more time getting accustomed to how the BB10 OS works in finer detail; only then will you realize how much more efficient BB10 is over every other mobile platform (and it keeps getting better with every update).

PS: Disable the HUB, are you out of your flipping mind?!?!?...

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:53 PM
    /sits back with popcorn, ready for the show.

Most complaints about BB10 are about the unfamiliar interface. When I moved from my 9900 to my Q10, I almost returned it. It does have a learning curve, but once you get it, everything else feels childish and much less powerful.

Bought a Passport this weekend and I'm sure that I'll have a learning curve with PKB.

Slightly off topic, but a similar subject is Win 8. Resisted, hated it at first, but finally worked through it. Now it's on to Win 10.

BB10 is not for everyone, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Q10/10.2.1.2156 Waiting for my Passport
    ssbtech, howards, gvs1341 and 6 others like this.
    04-26-15 09:16 PM
    Okay. I am sure I am not the expert. Completely agree. But, when managing 5+ email accounts, multiple social media accounts, hundreds of text streams, and a corporate connection the HUB becomes a cluttered mess. The only way to make it usable is to basically disable the hub and drop into each account separately.

Now on other platforms, my home screen had a separate icon for each account. In 1 second I could assess what needed to be done.

So, how would you setup the hub to manage this many streams and effectively do so with the minimal taps/actions?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:10 PM
    Lol "get rid of hub"..... Uhm yeaah. You're not a the BlackBerry target user. I suggest you switch platforms.
    04-26-15 10:20 PM
    I love change - with a purpose.

Having used many other platforms all the way back to the original palm series, I have had the pleasure of using so many platforms which were intuitive and efficient. Within a few days I found a natural rhythm and minimized my interaction with the devices to get work done.

Having now been on the 10 series for 2 weeks, I have to load a beta software release to make it usable and spend far too much energy navigating the OS. Controls are not well placed (see email send button) - no functions should be at the top of the screen. I do not hold my phone by the top.

Now, I do love the file manager. If that was available on the other platforms...

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:24 PM
    Would love to, but required by company to use it. We are going backwards: ActiveSync -> Good -> BES.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:26 PM
    You can display the required accounts only in their separate account. Go to Hub -> Settings -> Hub Management and select each account after that choose where do you want it displayed. Hub is one of the most powerful features of the OS10!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:32 PM
    You can display the required accounts only in their separate account. Go to Hub -> Settings -> Hub Management and select each account after that choose where do you want it displayed. Hub is one of the most powerful features of the OS10!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, been through all of this.

Maybe I should just ask - when you get 2000 messages a day across email, text, social, phone, etc., how do you organize it?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:40 PM
    I rarely use the main Hub because it does get overwhelming. I set up the priority hub for anything that could get me cost me or get me divorced. For everything else I simply use their separate accounts.

As I had enough accounts that I had to scroll in the hub, I removed the social accounts and use the old fashion way selecting their app icons. This allowed me to quickly peak at the accounts in the hub for new or unread messages.

All my often used apps are on my first icon page so one swipe left or right and I can access everything almost instantly.

Much better than iOS or Android where I had to flip through pages go in and out of apps.

By the way, Home buttons are like using a key to open your car door, nostalgic at best.

Posted via CB10
    Notatroll123 likes this.
    04-26-15 11:08 PM
    I rarely use the main Hub because it does get overwhelming. I set up the priority hub for anything that could get me cost me or get me divorced. For everything else I simply use their separate accounts.

As I had enough accounts that I had to scroll in the hub, I removed the social accounts and use the old fashion way selecting their app icons. This allowed me to quickly peak at the accounts in the hub for new or unread messages.

All my often used apps are on my first icon page so one swipe left or right and I can access everything almost instantly.

Much better than iOS or Android where I had to flip through pages go in and out of apps.

By the way, Home buttons are like using a key to open your car door, nostalgic at best.

Posted via CB10
    I must contend that home buttons work every time, regardless of screen size, only require a tap, and are much quicker.

And yet your car's key fob has a physical key inside for when it just has to work.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:19 PM

Maybe I should just ask - when you get 2000 messages a day across email, text, social, phone, etc., how do you organize it?

Posted via CB10
    Use the priority hub and configure accounts accordingly. Pinch to filter is a life saver. The more time you spend to learn and customize the OS the more efficient you will be.

P.S autocorrect will "learn" names and words after a few corrections.

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech, gvs1341 and BionicKris like this.
    04-26-15 11:33 PM
    I must contend that home buttons work every time, regardless of screen size, only require a tap, and are much quicker.
    That's your opinion. I prefer the phone without any buttons. I find the persistent home, back and god knows whatever else buttons Android sticks at the bottom to be less than useless.

The Hub is an excellent feature of BB10. If you really do prefer to be ducking in and out of several different apps, then just stop using the hub and just use the individual accounts listed down the left menu.

As for search - it does search everything. Just make sure you have "Extended search" turned on. Any word I type will return a nicely organized set of results broken down by settings, pictures, files, music, text messages, calendar, etc... and if you want it to search Google/Bing/Yahoo/Maps/YellowPages/Whatever else, just scroll to the bottom and it's all there.
    04-27-15 12:04 AM
    Some of your points are notable but removing the HUB?!?! Man your insane!!!! The HUB is the heart and soul of BB10 without it just change OS, if you don't like the HUB (which needs a lot of work still) then BB10 ain't for you!

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    04-27-15 12:33 AM
    Trying to use a BlackBerry phone as if it was an Android / iOS phone is certainly a recipe for frustration. The way to avoid this is to buy into BB10s way of doing things.

It is - taken as a whole - a supremely well designed and opinionated OS / interface but it takes time to realise this.
    04-27-15 12:39 AM
    The same idea can be put into a post entitled "Windows Phone Usability" or "iPhone Usabilty" I guess you have to create your own OS.

Posted via CB10
    RWB3325 likes this.
    04-27-15 02:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Priority Hub? Pinch filtering? Colour coding?

You choose.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 02:17 AM
    The same idea can be put into a post entitled "Windows Phone Usability" or "iPhone Usabilty" I guess you have to create your own OS.

Posted via CB10
    Umm, no. Having used them, they simply work.
    04-27-15 08:49 AM
    Having been recently forced onto BB by corporate edict, I find myself longing for any other platform. But as it stands, I would like to vent and hopefully improve BB to the point of being a usable platform. I know the likelihood of the developers reading this are small, but none the less...

1) Make the "quick launch" bar customizeable. Users should be able to put their primary apps on the quick launch area, not be forced to use Phone, Search, Camera.
    👍
    2) Selecting multiple emails and deleting should take no more than 2 taps (see Windows Phone).
    Use Triage button, top right of hub.

3) Keep controls together. Having the email send at the tope is pure stupidity.
    👍 also on pp, controls are obviously not optimized for the screen. The quick toggles for example.

4) Get rid of Hub. It clutters communications. If you separate them out, then the Hub no longer functional.
    Lost me. If you don't want the hub cluttered, go into hub settings and tell every account to show "seperate only"

5) Make BBM uninstallable or closeable. Some of us don't use and would like the memory back.
    👍 I'd like to be able to login/out of BBM without wiping device.

6) Simplify menus. Too many different places and ways to get at settings, options, etc.
    You learn.

7) Limit gestures. A simple home button would be much more efficient.
    There isn't many navigation gestures to remember.. swipe up = home button.

8) Get back to what made Blackberry's valuable - operation with one hand and one thumb. Used to be able send entire messages without looking at the phone.
    👍 trackpad.

9) Workspaces is nice idea, but there should only be one interface. Switching between the 2 is tiresome. I am spending more time switching than actually working. Just give me a personal and work icon and I will click the one I need.
    Shrug
    10) Text input box is ridiculously small.
    Mhmm
    11) Text message threading is horrible. Again see Windows Phone, Android, or even iPhone.
    👍.. emojis too
    12) All words in a persons contact list should automatically be added to the dictionary. Don't tell me I am spelling my child's name wrong.
    👍
    13) When I "X" out of an app, close it. I hate going into Device Monitor and finding the app eating up resources in the background.
    👍
    14) Allow Hub to be disabled.
    Huhh
    15) The search shortcut on the quick launch needs to include options for all resources - web, navigation, etc. I am searching, search.
    It does..
    16) When I search the web, search local first. I searched for Lowe's today, my primary results were 800 miles away. Sad...
    Blame google etc?
    17) Let me place icons wherever I please. Quit auto arranging. I may want that space there.
    👍 Gotta use an app for that atm though..

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    04-27-15 09:03 AM
    Thank you for the feedback. However, extended search is not showing web searches. Also, when I open maps from a search term, it only shows a blank page.
    04-27-15 09:44 AM
    Open help. Read up. It could prove productive to familiarise yourself with the product you're ranting about first.

BB10 is miles ahead in many ways, if you are willing/able to familiarise yourself with it.

Windows Phone is a different platform, with different paradigms.
    04-27-15 09:58 AM
94 123 ...