This article is from a german security researcher who discovered that Blackberry spies on your password short after you setup your email account on the device.

Knowledge Brings Fear | At some point in time, you recognize that knowing more does not necessarily make you more happy. This weblog is about both: knowledge and happiness.
    07-18-13 12:10 PM
    Would good to get a statement from Blackberry on that!
    07-18-13 12:11 PM
    Already being 'discussed' at length in a trending thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=829659

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:19 PM
    Isn't that a way to sync the contact and calendar ? I'd like to see him trying without selecting sync and see what happens....and also a comparison of the other platforms : is this norm of the industry ?

I can't make any argument because this article is missing these details.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:20 PM
    Yes this is a way to sync, but I think why he denounces Blackberry's way is that they transmit your data unencrypted.
    07-18-13 12:24 PM
    Isn't that a way to sync the contact and calendar ? I'd like to see him trying without selecting sync and see what happens....and also a comparison of the other platforms : is this norm of the industry ?

I can't make any argument because this article is missing these details.

Posted via CB10
    It's about them using your log in info to try to guess your email server configuration if you don't use the 'advanced' account set up process.

Honestly, it's not much different than what BlackBerry has been doing for years with BIS where you voluntarily gave them your log in info so they could retrieve your email and push it to your phone. Here you give them your log in info so that they can figure out the settings for you.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:27 PM
    Yes this is a way to sync, but I think why he denounces Blackberry's way is that they transmit your data unencrypted.
    I think they do this because some services don't use SSL/ encryption for their log in or servers, and since they are trying to guess... They have to shoot for whatever. Best bet is to use the advanced config if you know the server settings.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:30 PM
    07-18-13 12:31 PM