Just a thought, but what if BlackBerry offered a smart tv OS based on the Qnx platform. I can easily see a lighter version of PlayBook 2.1 os running a TV. The os is already there and it would need just a few tweaks, plus we know how well it runs in old processors, tv manufacturers would use old chips in order to cut costs yet still be able to run Powerfully operating system, making the navigation in smart TV more interesting......

Imagine a TV with a slogan as the follow : Panasonic powered by BlackBerry. So far TV's don't use a standard, they are mostly in house, and BlackBerry should make it freely available, a way to get the name back into the household.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 08:36 AM
    This would be great, and BB10's QNX underpinnings would be great on a TV. BlackBerry prototyped an Apple TV like device called Cyclone some years ago - So I guess they at least thought about it once upon a time? The screenshots of it's software looked very PlayBook like, so may assume it was QNX based also.

Alas, BlackBerry never officially admit to making these things and it was never released. If only they could have foreseen how popular Apple TV and Smart TV's are now. Would be great if they tried again, but they need to get their house in order first and start selling actual phones for profit before diverging off and making something new.
    04-16-14 08:47 AM
    I think the idea is great, and actually makes sense. However, I'd lose the 'powered by Blackberry' part, and stick to QNX. Before BlackBerry tries to use it's name as a selling point they have to turn around their public perception. Make a tv OS that works, keep BES, BBM, and all that other stuff working- and flawlessly. Then maybe in a year or 2 you can start reminding people, by the way - 'that thing you love so much, BlackBerry makes it'.
    04-16-14 08:52 AM
    There is no value in the OS's built into most of these devices.... They are "cheap" UI's that they pay once to have built custom and pay little or no licensing on.

High priced content and no Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime.... what would be the purpose?
    04-16-14 08:57 AM
    There is no value in the OS's built into most of these devices.... They are "cheap" UI's that they pay once to have built custom and pay little or no licensing on.

High priced content and no Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime.... what would be the purpose?
    LG started using WebOS in theirs, and Samsung's got Android in their newest ones. Seems perfectly functional to me. They got all the apps consumers want, and the software can be upgraded...?

I agree with the above that a "Powered by BlackBerry" tag line probably wont help sell anything at the moment.
    04-16-14 09:03 AM