Hello all,

I continually hear BB touted as the most secure mobile OS. As cloud services become more & more prevalent, our information becomes more difficult to secure (in my opinion).
    Without BES, is BB still more inherently secure than any of the other major operating systems? If so, how? I am contemplating a full-time move back to BlackBerry and would like the most informed answers possible to help with my decision.

Thank you
    01-20-15 09:02 AM
    Many threads on this, but outside of BES, your external communications are still at the mercy of your email provider and your carrier - just like any other device.

However, BB10 cannot be jailbroken or rooted, so you know you are running legitimate, signed BlackBerry software. Apps (whether native or Android) cannot access the OS core and make changes either. So far, we have never seen a virus on a BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    BionicKris and p51 like this.
    01-20-15 09:16 AM
    Hello all,

I continually hear BB touted as the most secure mobile OS. As cloud services become more & more prevalent, our information becomes more difficult to secure (in my opinion).
    Without BES, is BB still more inherently secure than any of the other major operating systems? If so, how? I am contemplating a full-time move back to BlackBerry and would like the most informed answers possible to help with my decision.

Thank you
    Depends on what you use it for....

As a device alone, yes BlackBerry is more secure as it is almost impossible to access a locked BlackBerry..... that is IF you chose to lock it and encrypt all the data including the SD Card. If you loses your phone or someone steals it... I think BlackBerry IS more secure.

But Voice, Email, Texting, Browsing Websites, syncing to 3rd Party Clouds (as BlackBerry doesn't have one).... there wouldn't be any difference in these communications without BES. So in this area, I'd say they are equal to any other platform.

Applications - This is a mixed bag, as BlackBerry is dependent upon Android for apps or on 3rd Party developers for Apps for Apps. Some will say that the Android Runtime is "sandboxed" for your protection. But any Andorid App you load is going to need access to basic functions - Contacts, Files, Phone, Location, Identifying Information.... A smart users should be secure, if you use 3rd party app stores from China or APK from some website, you are taking a risk. The only real advantage is any malicious code isn't going to gain ROOT access... but your data is there for the taking if you are not vigilant. This has gotten better now that we have access to installing APK directly via Amazon App Store. Back in the days of having to find converted BAR files... that was much less safe or secure.
    p51 likes this.
    01-20-15 09:27 AM
    Hi! Given the replies to your question, I'm curious, did you return to BlackBerry? I'm seriously considering returning to BlackBerry as well, but since this would be outside of BES I'd be interested to learn how BB users are able to encrypt SMS and email - since this is entirely possible on other platforms.
    04-28-15 04:24 PM
    Hmm. If you had a Ferrari, how would you get from A to B without starting the engine, since both camels and ponies have legs?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 04:15 AM