I know this will come as HUGE shock to a lot of you, but it is true. BlackBerry is not Google. Google makes the Android OS for Android phones. BlackBerry makes the BlackBerry OS for BlackBerry phones. That means they are competitors, not business partners. So before you buy a BlackBerry phone, or post how BlackBerry sucks because they don't have Google specific tools and apps, think really hard about the FACT that BlackBerry IS NOT Google.

And all the speculation about the BlackBerry Venice going to have Google specific apps and tools, think really hard about the FACT that Amazon and Firefox also made an Android OS that IS NOT Google and they don't have Google tools or apps either.

If you want a Google phone with apps and tools you WILL have to buy an Android phone with Google's Android OS. Hope that makes sense to you BlackBerry, not Google, users.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-05-15 11:56 AM
    I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 12:01 PM
    I know that's why I wrote the post. You're welcome.

lift and acovey like this.
    09-05-15 12:07 PM
    For solution; Go to official.
    09-05-15 12:10 PM
    you are wrong...it will have full android and not some fork like Fire OS without google apps/services
    09-05-15 12:11 PM
    Competitors can partner in specific endeavors if each finds they can individually gain from such a collaboration (even if one of them secretly plans to stab the other in the back a few years down the line).

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 12:13 PM
    you are wrong...it will have full android and not some fork like Fire OS
    Says who? Why would Google allow that? And if BlackBerry makes a secure Android OS it can't possibly be a full Google OS, because secure and Google aren't compatible with each other.

matthewkuhl, acovey and lift like this.
    09-05-15 12:14 PM
    Says who? Why would Google allow that? And if BlackBerry makes a secure Android OS it can't possibly be a full Google OS, because secure and Google aren't compatible with each other.

android will never be "secure" really. Chen will deal with some tradeoffs I think to use android. And why wont goggle allow them to make an android device just like Samsung lg etc?
    09-05-15 12:21 PM
    android will never be "secure" really. Chen will deal with some tradeoffs I think to use android. And why wont goggle allow them to make an android device just like Samsung lg etc?
    Because they never have allowed anyone else to do so. Samsung isn't making an OS just the hardware. BlackBerry is making an OS like Amazon, and if a powerhorse like Amazon couldn't make a deal with Google I highly doubt BlackBerry can. Unless Google bought BlackBerry, but that would have been leaked already as it would be a huge deal and one that wouldn't remain a secret for this long.

09-05-15 12:25 PM
    Because they never have allowed anyone else to do so. Samsung isn't making an OS just the hardware. BlackBerry is making an OS like Amazon, and if a powerhorse like Amazon couldn't make a deal with Google I highly doubt BlackBerry can. Unless Google bought BlackBerry, but that would have been leaked already as it would be a huge deal and one that wouldn't remain a secret for this long.

they aren't. They are making a skin like Samsung and other OEMs is my guess. It will probably have the experience suite added and some other tweaks but they aren't creating their own OS. I see no signs of them completely writing another OS based on android
    kbz1960 and Witmen like this.
    09-05-15 12:45 PM

Well Samsung has Tizen and actually sells Tizen phones. Also Google has nothing against OEMs building phones with other OSs as long as those other OSs have no Android code in them (see HTC ONE M8 which came with Android and after some time came with Windows phone as well).

The problem is that so far ALL renders and photo leaks have pointed to Android for the Slider. I still give a 50% chance of a BB10 slider, but for me it's 100% sure there will be an Android version.
    wincyUt and sentimentGX4 like this.
    09-05-15 12:45 PM
    OP, I have no idea what your point is.

Samsung neither is not Google, nor is LG, Amazon, Motorola, Dell, Nokia, Sony....

But they all run Android.

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    09-05-15 01:04 PM
    If it isn't "real" Android with GPS, I don't see the point. A forked version doesn't help much.
    southlander likes this.
    09-05-15 01:09 PM

All platforms. If a device does what you need, with the software that you want to use, and in a way that you approve, just use it. Don't narrow your choices, just use what is best for the task at hand, there's no need for rabid fanboyism for any manufacturer or platform developer.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and sam81 like this.
    09-05-15 01:20 PM
    OP, I have no idea what your point is.

Samsung neither is not Google, nor is LG, Amazon, Motorola, Dell, Nokia, Sony....

But they all run Android.

Posted via CB10
    There are so many posts with people ranting that their BlackBerry doesn't work exactly like an android and this sarcastic post was my way of venting.

Those phones are androids. BB10 isn't android. So I guess my post was lost on you.

09-05-15 01:33 PM
    no need for the attacks
    kbz1960 and niss63 like this.
    09-05-15 03:04 PM
    Im at a loss for words...almost.
    09-05-15 05:43 PM
    I have taken my recent rantings too far. Your post serves as a reminder. Thank you KGBBZ.

--STV
    09-05-15 07:36 PM
    Things change; times change.... OP, hope your venting has been good for you.
    09-05-15 09:11 PM
    I have taken my recent rantings too far. Your post serves as a reminder. Thank you KGBBZ.

--STV
    Haha it's good therapy I suppose. I was expecting a backlash like you had gotten, maybe it's still to come.

09-05-15 10:10 PM
    Yes, BlackBerry and Google are competitors, but even competitors make agreements and partnerships.

Samsung, for example, makes several components from the Apple iOS devices, from CPUs to screens, so it wouldn't be surprising for me that BlackBerry and Google partner in some way.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.2204
    09-06-15 01:56 AM
    android will never be "secure" really. Chen will deal with some tradeoffs I think to use android.
    And THAT right there will kill any reputation BlackBerry has left. They will be making a grave mistake if that device ever gets hacked or rooted. Mark my words!
    acovey likes this.
    09-06-15 08:00 AM
    It doesnt look to me like BlackBerry wants to bother being a "competitor" in the smartphone market for the regular consumer. Chen said they will continue to make handsets if they continue to make a profit (or did he say start to) and time will tell.

And we got consumers (I'm guessing from the posts on this board) who are waiting to see if BlackBerry phones do ok BEFORE they will decide whether or not to buy a BlackBerry. Those are the clientele he is not interested in chasing after. The new potential new customers who will never buy a BlackBerry if there isnt even one in the store for them to pick up and look at are also not people he is interested in pursuing, because the phone carriers are fighting against promoting BlackBerry. I saw that cool Q5 picture in the other thread, where there are big displays promoting BlackBerry in stores (never in the USA). The American people are just led by the nose by their controlled news sources, and the market cant be broken into without spending money on advertising which probably won't do any good in mending the negative climate, and they have more important places to spend their money right now, like the Internet of Things (which i would like to see people pay some attention to here). When you have people saying they dont want to be seen with a BlackBerry because they dont want to look like a loser to other people, and it doesnt even matter to them if the phone is the better one, it is useless to even address the issue anymore. At this point the product will only sell itself to the people who are proactive shoppers, and to those countries where BlackBerry is treated with respect and is available in the stores.

The androidization of BlackBerry may get the attention of the American market, or it may not, because we are successfully being taught that personal privacy and security do not exist, and not to care about that. So why buy a BlackBerry if youre looking for an android? Could go either way, i guess, I see it as what appeared to be the only choice to try to pick up their phone sales once again.

Outside of BlackBerry, the phone market is PRIMARILY about tracking you, and providing service plays second fiddle. We just have to want the tracking device and believe we need it and always carry it with us. Who can live for a day without their cellphone or their pushbutton apps?

But BlackBerry is getting right on top of the game, and they will profit from it because they got there first. But the Internet of Things is not about protecting our privacy. Having BlackBerry in that seems totally ironic because they cant possibly protect the human race from the 'total information awareness' plan that the IOT (Internet of Things) is a part of. With the advancement of this technology it will no longer matter if you carry a cellphone you will be tracked anyway.

I am sorry i went so far off topic, but it all seems interrelated to me and that's just how i ended up going on about too much here.
    jtultu likes this.
    09-06-15 08:51 AM
    Android OS for Android phones. BlackBerry makes the BlackBerry OS for BlackBerry phones. That means they are competitors, not business partners.
    Not after November, apparently.
    09-06-15 09:11 AM
    BlackBerry and Google are not really competitors.

BlackBerry is a software and services company, focusing on the enterprise market, that also happens to make smartphones. Their focus is privacy, security, and productivity.

Google is an Internet ad company that also happens to make software, including a mobile OS. Their focus is on making products and services that mine the end users' data for the purposes of targeted advertising. This allows them to subsidize the cost of their products and services, making them cheap or free. They also use this data to personalize their products and services.

BB10 phones, as brilliant as they are, have never made BlackBerry a single dime. Their handset business has not been profitable for years. More and more enterprise users are going Android because it's cost-effective. But they also need an acceptable degree of security and privacy. BlackBerry already secures these devices via BES12.

John Chen has said repeatedly that he is willing to exit the handset business entirely if he cannot make it profitable. But he has also said that phones are an iconic part of BlackBerry's brand identity and allow them to deliver a complete end-to-end mobile security solution to their customers. He will not let the handset business die without a fight.

If your customers are not coming to you, you have to go where they are. And where they are is Android, which commands an 80% mobile OS market share worldwide.

From a business standpoint, it absolutely makes sense for BlackBerry to try an Android-based OS in an attempt to serve their target market and turn around their handset business.

So I believe we will indeed see a BlackBerry device running Android with some heavy BlackBerry software additions. And I believe it will be a better selling device than any BB10 phone.

Mind you, this is not what I personally want to happen - I love my BB10. But this is what I believe is going to happen. And business-wise, it's really the best option BlackBerry has to try to turn their handset business around.

Posted from my Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339 via CB10
    jtultu and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    09-06-15 10:01 AM
75 123