....like Android devices or can they bypass carriers altogether and push out OTA updates directly to customers like the iPhone?
    02-16-13 09:29 PM
    I'd like to know this too. Especially for people who bought unlocked unbranded carrier free devices.
    02-16-13 09:35 PM
    I read somewhere (can't remember where right now) that updates will come right from BlackBerry not through carriers. Much like they do for the playbook.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    02-16-13 09:46 PM
    The carriers will maintain control. iOS being the exception.

Given that the PlayBook LTE is STILL waiting for the carrier approved update that the wifi version just got, I don't see the current system going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-13 10:10 PM
    I've seen this discussed here quite a bit before.

I would have thought that one of the advantages of unwinding BIS and BES from Blackberry devices, no longer requiring special "Blackberry Plans" to get data capabilities, would have made it easier for them to escape the micro-managing of updates by carriers. Especially since the underlying QNX-based OS is supposed to be modularized so the radio firmware and the rest of the OS are not completely intertwined.

Seems the problem in the USA anyway is the carriers have all their bloatware they want to foist, and make it so you can't remove it. But even with the hacked ROMs for legacy BBOS and other devices, I thought those branding components were componentized so they could just be applied to the base OS as a unit.
    02-17-13 12:33 AM
    Yeah I'm not sure how the carriers will control but it will be a unified updates. So attention, vzw, bell, Telus, vodaphone orange, everyone and all carriers will use the same update. Not like we use to have to do to find the best update for our phones and delete the vendor.xml files. Bb will issue them for all carriers thru the same. Whether or not the carriers will allow I don't know
    02-17-13 02:29 AM
    The Z10 is designed to work on many different 3g and lte frequencies, you need that specific carrier updated, for example when I put my Vodafone sim in it prompted me with an update that removed the lte, since they don't have it yet. Why would I want lte active if my network doesn't have it yet?
    02-17-13 04:15 AM
    As I understand it, explained to me buy a BlackBerry employee, is that BB controls the OS updates and the carriers Control the radio stack updates. Previous BBOS these two were combined. Not any more. So BlackBerry controls the OS updates!
    kevinnugent and bluetroll like this.
    02-17-13 04:38 AM