An example of BlackBerry Maps utter incompetence:

I am in Midtown NYC, about 4 blocks from the somewhat famous office building at 9 West 57th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues.

I typed "9 West 57th Street" into BlackBerry Maps. Let's examine the results:

BlackBerry Maps sometimes frustrates me to no end!-img_00000888.png

First suggestion: 9 South 57th West Avenue. In Oklahoma. Over 1200 miles away. Yeah, that's what I'm looking for.

Second suggestion: A condominium at 55 West 39th Street. Wow. At least it's in NYC this time. Of course, it's nowhere near what I searched for, in name, or in location.

Ok, so maybe the problem is I didn't type in the city! Maybe that's why I'm getting suggestions in Oklahoma! So, let's add the city:

Posted via CB10
    Suhailone likes this.
    08-19-13 11:50 AM
    Posted too soon. Adding the city:

BlackBerry Maps sometimes frustrates me to no end!-img_00000891.png

Great. All the results ARE in NYC! Amazing. Of course none of them are what I'm looking for. 12 suggestions in NYC. Not one of them is near what I'm looking for.

Ok, maybe it got confused by adding the city. Poor BlackBerry Maps. So let's remove the city and go back to my original search, and scroll down at look at more results:

BlackBerry Maps sometimes frustrates me to no end!-img_00000890.png

This is the BOTTOM of the suggestion list. Remember I'm trying to find 9 WEST 57th Street. We'll, that made it. Last on the list.

...but of course, not before suggesting 9 EAST 57th Street. That makes sense. I search for "west", I must mean "east" right?

What type of ***** felt this product was ready for consumer hands?

Pathetic.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:54 AM
    I've never been fond of first party mapping apps. Not even Google's, there's always a better mapping app.

The thing is, it's so easy to just switch, it takes maybe 30 seconds to a minute to download a well rated map app. If it doesn't work, switch map apps.
    Last edited by Chanlion; 08-19-13 at 05:36 PM.
    08-19-13 11:55 AM
    Give me Google 1000 times over BlackBerry Maps, and twice on Sunday. For example:

BlackBerry Maps sometimes frustrates me to no end!-img_00000892.png

Posted via CB10
    AT_Nepal and anon(2353369) like this.
    08-19-13 11:57 AM
    Agree with this.

If it's any consolation, the search is vastly improved in 10.2.
    08-19-13 12:23 PM
    Just buy BeMaps for now. No one can compete on Google's drone that they are using for their map

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:24 PM
    The only thing i hate about the BlackBerry Map is when it tells to do a illegal u-turn lol
    emtunc likes this.
    08-19-13 12:26 PM
    I have BeMaps Pro (see my post). It works well for finding things, but then switches to useless BlackBerry Maps for navigation.

Why do I have to (1) pay money for a marginally useful mapping app; and (2) still by stymied by BlackBerry Maps' uselessness when needing navigation?

Why can't this "built from the ground up, novel, game-changing" new OS provide me a simple, functional mapping solution?

Do I have to pay to fulfil this simple, basic need with an iPhone or Android? No.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:29 PM
    BlackBerry Maps sometimes frustrates me to no end!-img_00000688.png
    Works for me. Next time, put a comma between the street name and city name.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG and BigBadWulf like this.
    08-19-13 12:33 PM
    You typed "W" not "West". So I'm supposed to guess that BlackBerry Maps requires the user to abbreviate "West"? This is not required in other mapping systems. Maybe BlackBerry Maps should come with a guide of where and when I must use abbreviations to avoid suggestions in Oklahoma. Because if I type out the full name of the street with "West", OBVIOUSLY I don't mean "W 57th St" which is three blocks away. I OBVIOUSLY mean "West South 57th Avenue Northeast, Oklahoma City"...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:39 PM
    I guess you have not tried Apple's map app. You are in front of the place and sends you five miles away or cannot find it.

I have not had major problems with BlackBerry Maps other than sending me around the block to get to a place because it does not show a street that can access the place quicker.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    08-19-13 12:49 PM
    Funny...I had this same problem this past weekend. Except it suggested locations in a different country!
    08-19-13 12:49 PM
    Once you learn the issues, it isn't that bad. Yes, you need to specify things like state. It should prioritize by your location but it doesn't... yet

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:50 PM
    I guess you have not tried Apple's map app. You are in front of the place and sends you five miles away or cannot find it.
    I find that the knee jerk reaction to any justified complaint about a BlackBerry product here is to find and identify a some similar problem in iOS laughable, sad, and very very telling.
    08-19-13 12:57 PM
    Works fine in Toronto the app. You say BB maps is the stupidest mapping app, i guess yoy never used Apple maps then. Gives a holf new meaning to worst app ever made.
    08-19-13 01:14 PM
    I find it funny and misleading when you use a relative term like 'stupidest' - which I gather means 'the most dumb'. Yet when someone gives an opinion that there is something worst, which is normal, you complain even more haha.
    collinc93 and SDTRMG like this.
    08-19-13 01:17 PM
    Who cares if something is worse? This isn't about BlackBerry Maps being slightly better than the worst out there. This is about BlackBerry Maps being (or not being) a good product. BlackBerry Maps is not a good product. Telling me that Apple Maps is also poor does nothing to aleviate BlackBerry Maps' shortcomings. Who cares? It's not relevant.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 01:30 PM
    You are pretty harsh in your criticism. Can you do better? Are you familiar with any technological device that works exactly as the user wishes, without fail?

I have recently done a trip around the east coast of Canada and made heavy use of BlackBerry Maps on a Z10 phone and it served me perfectly well. It found and directed me correctly to every single one of my destinations.

I am sure that there are times when it won't serve some users well, but that is to be expected with anything in life.

What is it that you expect to achieve with such criticism? If you have a complaint, then why don't you contact BlackBerry and offer them some guidance as to how they can improve things in your estimation.

I, for one, am most grateful to have such marvelous capabilities on a cellphone. Is it flawless? Of course not, but nothing is perfect in this world. What BlackBerry maps can offer is for me, incredibly useful and helpful. It is a capability to use, it not a single perfect capability that operates perfectly in every possible scenario for the myriad wishes of so many different users.

For some of us, we offer Blackberry our thanks for offering such a service.

Criticizing others is easy. What are YOU doing to better the situation?
    08-19-13 01:42 PM
    Who cares if something is worse? This isn't about BlackBerry Maps being slightly better than the worst out there. This is about BlackBerry Maps being (or not being) a good product. BlackBerry Maps is not a good product. Telling me that Apple Maps is also poor does nothing to aleviate BlackBerry Maps' shortcomings. Who cares? It's not relevant.

Posted via CB10
    Chill dude I'm saying it's the wording of your title. If you used an extremely relative term to describe your bad experience you will get feedback on it. Especially when the incompetency of BB Maps you described people are experiencing it on other map apps.

Then again most people just respond looking at the title and didn't put too much thought in the rest of the message...but its an open form...which again is normal
    08-19-13 01:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wait a second. You title a thread "BlackBerry Maps Is The Stupidist Mapping Application I've Ever Seen", then when people compare it to Apple Maps you respond "Who cares if something is worse?".

That's pretty funny. I find your inability to understand the purpose of a Title to be "laughable, sad, and very, very telling."
    08-19-13 01:44 PM
    I have had my great share of fin with most mapping apps and understand how annoying it is.

I absolutely despise built in car navigation. It just drives me crazy how outdated the roads are and how many times it just does not want to find common streets lime in your example.

I have given up and am just trying to learn their habits and deal with them.

Whoever bashes Google maps is clearly just a troll since they made massive strides since 2005 when their (then) piece of frustrating trash came across my browser.....

8 years of development are working magic on anything...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 01:52 PM
    I find that the knee jerk reaction to any justified complaint about a BlackBerry product here is to find and identify a some similar problem in iOS laughable, sad, and very very telling.
    Nope! Actually what you wrote and depicted by your title is the knee jerk reaction of people that have no iota of meaning for words and their imports.

You said "BB Maps was the stupidest", someone then pointed out that another application should carry that cake and you are moaning about that?
    If you wanted to share info, or even grumble, then use the right things/words. You can't say someone came in last when they get to the finish line before someone else, except of course you are just being mischievious or clueless.

And as pointed out by another user, you also committed some user errors. A careful look at the results from your input would have clearly show you that BB Maps use "9 W" instead of "9 West", plus you forgot that there should be a comma between a street and a City.
    08-19-13 01:57 PM
    You are pretty harsh in your criticism.
    I'd use the words "justified", "accurate" or "appropriate", but I can accept "harsh".

Can you do better?
    No. I am not in the business of programming mobile phone apps.

Are you familiar with any technological device that works exactly as the user wishes, without fail?
    In this case, yes: Google Maps.

I have recently done a trip around the east coast of Canada and made heavy use of BlackBerry Maps on a Z10 phone and it served me perfectly well. It found and directed me correctly to every single one of my destinations.
    That is wonderful for you.

What is it that you expect to achieve with such criticism?
    Exactly what I have achieved with said criticism: discussion.

If you have a complaint, then why don't you contact BlackBerry
    I have.

and offer them some guidance as to how they can improve things in your estimation.
    I am not in the business of programming mobile phone apps.

I, for one, am most grateful to have such marvelous capabilities on a cellphone.
    That is wonderful for you.

Is it flawless? Of course not, but nothing is perfect in this world.
    Far from "flawless", I would term it (and BB10 as a whole) "bug-ridden" or "filled with mistakes and oversight", but we can use any number of terms to describe the countless bugs and problems with this platform.

What BlackBerry maps can offer is for me, incredibly useful and helpful. It is a capability to use, it not a single perfect capability that operates perfectly in every possible scenario for the myriad wishes of so many different users.
    That is wonderful for you. I would prefer a mapping application that can find a simply types address three blocks from my current location, but to each their own. Needs differ.

For some of us, we offer Blackberry our thanks for offering such a service.
    I don't offer my thanks to any company providing a service for which I pay. I offer my money and expect function in return. When that function is lacking, I complain about not receiving my end of the bargain.

Criticizing others is easy.
    Yes it is. So is finding a building three blocks away for a properly programmed Maps app.

What are YOU doing to better the situation?
    Nothing. I am not in the business of programming mobile phone apps.
    bigjsmashman likes this.
    08-19-13 02:00 PM
    Chill dude I'm saying it's the wording of your title. If you used an extremely relative term to describe your bad experience you will get feedback on it. Especially when the incompetency of BB Maps you described people are experiencing it on other map apps.

Then again most people just respond looking at the title and didn't put too much thought in the rest of the message...but its an open form...which again is normal
    My title was appropriate and accurate and has resulted in the desired effect: discussion of this badly-programmed app.
    bigjsmashman likes this.
    08-19-13 02:01 PM
    Wait a second. You title a thread "BlackBerry Maps Is The Stupidist Mapping Application I've Ever Seen", then when people compare it to Apple Maps you respond "Who cares if something is worse?".

That's pretty funny. I find your inability to understand the purpose of a Title to be "laughable, sad, and very, very telling."
    "Worse" is that poster's eyes. I have used Apple Maps and I find it superior to BlackBerry Maps, but obviously worse than Google Maps. To me, BB Maps is the worst of the major mapping applications. Ergo, to me, my title is 100% accurate (although misspelled).
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-19-13 02:03 PM
194 123 ...