At least in the UK. It would be awesome if they

A. Admit it's rubbish and
    B. License Nokia here maps so we can have offline maps.

Come on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    i agree it is rubbish and unfortunately just not good enough for a premium product like the passport. compared to nokias offering of here maps and here drive it blows. just the single fact that you can sync fav locations back n forth between here maps on a laptop web browser and the phone is enough of reason why it is better for me. used here maps whilst roaming in germany earlier this year. completely flawless and not a single bit of data used
    10-13-14 07:54 AM
    I also recommend NavFree from BlackBerry World

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:00 AM
    I travel around the UK a fair bit and blackberry maps doesn't work too well for me. It puts me on motorways and toll roads when the ignore box is ticked in settings.

Love navfree but it's told me to go left when map says right on a number of occasions and the speed limit symbol and alert doesn't always work even when setting it ticked.

Most reliable for me is M8 which works perfectly.

I'd like to use navfree if it was reliable though...

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:05 AM
    I'm inclined to think anyone who says Blackberry Maps is good is either living in a state of denial or is just a fanboy. It is appallingly bad, I couldn't even get it to load a route, and it's far too slow.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:21 AM
    I'm inclined to think anyone who says Blackberry Maps is good is either living in a state of denial or is just a fanboy. It is appallingly bad, I couldn't even get it to load a route, and it's far too slow.

Posted via CB10
    I have been having problems loading routes, the final step when you select to start the route. I think there is a software bug. If I turned LTE off and went to 4G, it was more reliable. My guess is it is related to the cellular assisted GPS. I just switched carriers and was thinking it was a carrier issue with the aGPS.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:31 AM
    To me works perfectly

Posted via CB10
    kedi and David in Durham like this.
    10-13-14 08:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well, I wouldn't say it's glamorous or amazing, and there are probably better maps out there. But for me, as a "no thrills " Sat Nav, it's fine! And yes, they don't provide walking/cycling/public transport/flying dragon/magic carpet routes.

Online maps is annoying. Especially if you've hit your data cap, or in a GPRS location, then it sucks.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:35 AM
    For some reason it was always super slow on my z10 to almost being unusable but on my passport it's very fast.

Not sure why as it's the same Internet connections. Navfree is good too and Google maps works if you have snap.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:45 AM
    Use Waze it's the best with traffic updates. Available in blackberry world

Posted via CB10
    David in Durham and Katika99 like this.
    10-13-14 08:52 AM
    I use BMapsPro on my Passport and it works really well.

Passport on AT&T
    10-13-14 08:57 AM
    BlackBerry Maps works fine for me and I'm not having the OP's slowness issues. What I'm not happy with is that when travelling to another country, you don't always have access to BlackBerry Maps since not every country is supported and in some countries, there's simply no mapping whatsoever (example: Japan, Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, etc). Also, the ability to download offline maps would also be useful when travelling.
    10-13-14 08:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Works very well for me. What I like about it, is that from contacts you can tap and get to Maps. Of course you have to have the address entered correctly. From there you can tap and get the route to that destination from where you are. As a driving app it seems fine and it always loads the route, and almost instantaneously. The other feature is that you can save your favourites so that if you are at a location you are unfamiliar with, you can go to favourites, tap it, then get a route to that favourite location. I would say it is a driving app for the most part, but I have used it for walking too.
    kedi likes this.
    10-13-14 09:05 AM
    Like all tools - you need the right tool and must use the tool in the correct way. So, if you have need to drive from point A to point B and are using an up-to-date version of Maps on a carrier supported OS, BB Maps works incredibly well.

If you need to navigate the rails, to a bus to walking to an office or pub, BB Maps is not the correct tool. There are other tools that do those jobs. Should BB Maps have walking and transit directions, as well as off-line maps in 2014/2015? That is a different question entirely. I think the lack of walking directions is an embarrassing hole in the BB10 OS. Much as the lack of landscape mode in many core BB10 apps.

This is unfortunately partly a holdover of the prior regime who bid out the map development to the cheapest bidder. However the new management must take allot of responsibility here. If BB is to serve as 'THE Business device' it's business functions must be above reproach. Sat Nav is vital to those of us in the business world. From locating an out of state office quickly to finding a decent place for a business lunch with colleagues.

Off-line maps and mass transit are less so vital, but should have been on the road map by now. These are neither new nor innovative features. They are part of what is readily available in the mobile space. But I would settle for a walking option and correcting some of the other holes in the OS and a clear roadmap that catches BB up to its competitors' offerings.

One can not ever hope to catch up, by going slower.
    10-13-14 09:05 AM
    I use BlackBerry maps all the time and never had an issue with it

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    kedi likes this.
    10-13-14 09:06 AM
    Nav free and BeMaps pro. no problem with these two.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    10-13-14 09:13 AM
    I bought a cheap Nokia Lumia to use the Here maps.

BlackBerry maps are OK but I find that it is impossible to use without at least 3 g signal.

I have no idea why it will not work to load directions over an edge connection. Since I have T-MOBILE which often has only edge signal in rural areas, I can't afford to rely on BlackBerry maps since I could get stuck unable to load anything.

That said, when I have used it, it has been reliable.

I would suggest navfree, but it doesn't work offline for me either which makes no sense. I have downloaded the maps but I can only look up addresses using Google. Even with the exact address nothing ever comes up offline, so I have to use the Google option.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 09:25 AM
    Blackberry Maps might to be the greatest ever GPS for a phone, but is FAR from being crap. It tens to be quite reliable even if it's lacking some features.
    10-13-14 09:38 AM
    It is a good gps. But it is just so basic.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 10:16 AM
    I tried mapquest on Amazon and it works great. Very simple. I miss Mapquest before Google became popular.

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    10-13-14 10:19 AM
    I like it for finding directions to an address. Seems to work 99.9% of the time.
    kedi likes this.
    10-13-14 10:32 AM
    BlackBerry Maps are lacking. They decidedly feel 2005, and severely lack in POI, ability for localized searches, and really any kind of direction other than driving.

Posted via CB10
    thedose and Savior4Life like this.
    10-13-14 10:36 AM
    enough alternative apps but I like BlackBerry maps
    10-13-14 10:38 AM
    I've been asking this in other threads but people keep ignoring it so I'll ask it here and hopefully wont have to make a thread!

I am aware that google play services don't work, and since IDGAF about "favorites, signing-in, or my home location" I just have a simple question about Google Maps on the Passport:

Can anyone please confirm that the latest version of Google Maps (I think it's 3.2.1) works on the PP?

Could they also confirm that navigation works? (turn-by-turn directions etc)

Thanks
    10-13-14 11:03 AM
    I used BlackBerry Maps today for the first time properly. I got it it to direct me over a distance of 30 miles and it worked flawlessly.

Even warned me about traffic problems.

Thought it was better sat nav than the one built in my car

Posted via CB10
    kedi and David in Durham like this.
    10-13-14 11:05 AM
    BlackBerry Maps works well. It's known that it doesn't offer offline maps. It would be nice if it is. Sometimes it could be crappy but most of the times it works very well for me. I also purchased Mireo for occasional offline situations where signals are weak. Once in a while, Mireo offers discounts.

Using PP and Z10
    10-13-14 11:19 AM
171 1234 ...