Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By peter9477
  • 1 Post By Sith_Apprentice
  • 1 Post By kdna
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry HUB Flow

So things might have changed with the newest Dev Alpha update, but from the videos I've seen, it seems that after you gesture into the Hub from an application, when you swipe back it takes you into the open active frames page rather than back to the application you swiped in from. I know its only a tap away to get back into the application you were using, but it'd be nice to just be able to swipe right back into what you were doing without any additional tap/gesture. Anyone have any insight as to why its done that way?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Nope, it works like it's supposed to. You can go back to the app itself if you swipe back while peeking!
    Phone BlackBerry Z10 Ferrari Red Limited Edition & BlackBerry Q10 White & BlackBerry Z30 Black #00284
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

True, but if you swiped into the Hub from a game, and answered a text message, would it go back to the game when you swiped back? Or would it go to the open Active Frames page?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

It's done this way I think because you've already interrupted your original work, so it wouldn't always be desirable for the back-swipe to send you back to the same app.

The original gesture is carefully "reversible", following the principle that if the user doesn't release the gesture to complete it, "retracing" the gesture path back to the start undoes whatever it started.

If you swipe up a bit, the running app minimizes part-way. You can see icons at the left immediately, with "splats" and numbers representing new messages or notifications to be dealt with, and the icons representing the different types of notification (e.g. phone calls, emails, twitter msgs, etc). If you don't see anything important enough to interrupt your work, you just return your finger to the bottom and are back in the app.

If you swipe up to that point, and see something you think might be relevant, such as a new email, you continue the gesture by moving to the right, which incrementally reveals the full Hub with the important parts of the notifications shown. You can quickly tell if that last notification was a message, who it was from, and what the subject was, or for a phone call you can see the number of the caller and when it arrived (or things like that... I'm speaking from memory). Again, the gesture is reversible so if you don't want to go and view that new message in all its full glory, just move your finger back down and you're right back in the original app again. The feel of this is all intended to help you maintain your "flow" in whatever task you were doing, since there aren't sharp transitions and no "modal" effects going on here.

If, however, you choose to complete the gesture, and actually go into the Hub's full view, then it's taken as a sign that you've now interrupted your task and are focused on the new message(s). You spend only a few seconds here, but quite possibly you could be taking a real break from the task or not even planning to return to it (e.g. if it was a game that you didn't care to complete).

Since you've interrupted your work by completing that original gesture, you return to it by doing the right-swipe to get to the active frame page, and if you really want to go to the original task it's always right there in the upper-left position waiting for you, with a single extra tap as you noted. Since you did interrupt your work, however, odds are pretty high that when you go back to that active frame page, you'll be ready to check on something else that was running, or even continue past it to the icon pages and run something new. You may still not go back to that app very quickly.

I suspect extensive usability testing has shown that although sometimes this obviously won't be the thing you want, more often than not it is, and the effort to do that single extra tap is so minor that it's worth the tradeoff. The alternative would be to make "return to previous task" the one-swipe action, in which case you'd probably need to take more steps to do the alternative.

I really doubt you'll find this a serious problem in real use, because you'll learn to use that original gesture's reversibility to full effect, and will only complete the gesture and go to the hub when you really do want to interrupt the task, at which point returning much later via the swipe-tap combination will not feel like a problem.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by 3:
    ALXRoyale (12-17-2012),  kingz23 (12-17-2012),  Toodeurep (12-17-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Blackberry HUB Flow

Quote Originally Posted by kingz23 View Post
    True, but if you swiped into the Hub from a game, and answered a text message, would it go back to the game when you swiped back? Or would it go to the open Active Frames page?
    No, you'd switch back to the active frames!
    Phone BlackBerry Z10 Ferrari Red Limited Edition & BlackBerry Q10 White & BlackBerry Z30 Black #00284
    CrackBerry Genius

The logic is that you have already done something that was more important than what you were doing so they are not going to assume that going right back to that previous thing is now your priority, although it is obviously still very quick to return to it if you don't have anything else that needs doing first.
    CrackBerry User

I understand the logic and this is a non factor for me, but it just seems like this could open RIM up to criticism because would this not still be considered, "in and out"?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts

Hardly,lol. The HUB is always ON, so when you're in an app you can go PEEK in the HUB or change your task and go directly into it, "gone are the days of the in and out paradigm and the home button".
    Quote Originally Posted by stirtzie View Post
    I understand the logic and this is a non factor for me, but it just seems like this could open RIM up to criticism because would this not still be considered, "in and out"?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stirtzie View Post
    That's not what the "in and out" part is about. Once you're in the Hub, you can do so much without having to hit a Home button and go into a half dozen other apps to finish a particular task. Similarly in sufficiently well-done and sophisticated apps: they'll integrate appropriately with many other things through the Invocation Framework, allowing you to retrieve information (images, documents, etc) or share them, create new content, edit stuff, and so on, all through links between the required apps, and usually without a given app having to know what the other apps are that are performing those services.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by:
    Toodeurep (12-17-2012) 

Global Posts
    9,718 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

To add on to Peter's excellent explanation of HUB and Flow, you can simply swipe UP from the bottom bezel while in the HUB to go back to your active frames. If you move to another pane, you can also "click" on the active frames icon (directly above the phone/search/camera icons where the markers are for open panes) and go right back to it. Both of these are in addition to the method peter described above.
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Ah alright, thank you for the clarification.
    CrackBerry Addict

Even turning on your phone to "peek" at the time gesture is reversible. I really like all the details that have gone into making the BlackBerry 10 OS refined and magical. This is a super phone thats delightful to use.
    Purchase these awesome apps for Z10 (BB10-device): Utilities: Mobile Network | Developer ModeBluetooth | Mobile Hotspot | NFC | Learn Essential Japanese Verbs | Ultimate Powerball
    FREE BlackBoard Lite (Free!) Coming SOON!: Mega Millions 10
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kdna View Post
    Even turning on your phone to "peek" at the time gesture is reversible. I really like all the details that have gone into making the BlackBerry 10 OS refined and magical. This is a super phone thats delightful to use.
    That unlock thing just seems like one of those really cool little things that are so simple but at the same really impressive to somebody if you were showing them your phone.