Hi, i was wondering if its possible to load CyanogenMod on our BB10 devices, they have a simple apk to install the ROM and they say that we don't need root access or a boot-loader because the app itself takes care of everything, i know that android architecture is different from blackberry but is anyone brave to try this on your devices?

cyanogenmod apk
    03-12-14 06:43 PM
    Why? What is the benefit?

STL-4. 10.2.1.2141 w/ 1259 clock
    03-12-14 06:45 PM
    To be able to install Google Services Framework and all Google stuff that we need to run certain android apps
    03-12-14 06:47 PM
    Probably same chances of rooting a bb10 as they had fully rooring a Plabook... 2 chances... slim to none... and slim is out of town.....
    03-12-14 07:29 PM
    The android recovery loader does not exist. You cannot write to the android runtime.

Sent from my ME173X using CB Forums mobile app
    03-12-14 07:39 PM
    Blackberry dual boot with CyanogenMod-42292405.jpg

Z10 10.2.1.1925 via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-12-14 08:16 PM
    Sounds like you'd be better off with an Android product of some kind. Google services and their TOS seem a little inconsistent with BlackBerry and its reputation for security.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by rthonpm; 07-08-14 at 10:27 AM.
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    03-13-14 05:31 AM
    Definitely not gonna work. Very high chance of bricking your device.
    03-13-14 05:37 AM
    for me a phone must have a keyboard, just like computers do, its all about communication, I hate that full touch phones are top sellers on the market, it doesnt make any sense to me. It remindes me of those gammers who choose to play FPS games in a game console with a gamepad over a computer with the mighty mouse.

I am a blackberry fan since i can remember, unfortunately in my country was really hard to get one a decade ago. I had several Nokia phones and I bought my first blackberry in late 2008. In 2009 there was a small BOOM here in Portugal and most of the people under 27 bought a Blackberry too, was kind of a fashionable "accessory" and everyone had to have one for text. Anyway all this just to say that I never made the transition to another brand since I got my first Blackberry, i'm proud to be a Blackberry user, I can't imagine my self without this efficient and productive QWERTY phone on my hands.

Saying that, the only reason i need Google Services is to install the Pokerstars app. I would buy a Z30 as a secondary phone just for that reason if it could run that app but never, ever get an android phone from samsung. Worst case scenario if Blackberry stops manufacturing smartphones i would get an HTC.

Forgot to mention that 96% of those people who bought a Blackberry in 2009 are now using Iphones and Android based phones, that is just sad...
    Last edited by joao_malveiro; 03-13-14 at 08:46 AM.
    03-13-14 08:28 AM
    for me a phone must have a keyboard, just like computers do, its all about communication, I hate that full touch phones are top sellers on the market, it doesnt make any sense to me. It remindes me of those gammers who choose to play FPS games in a game console with a gamepad over a computer with the mighty mouse.

I am a blackberry fan since i can remember, unfortunately in my country was really hard to get one a decade ago. I had several Nokia phones and I bought my first blackberry in late 2008. In 2009 there was a small BOOM here in Portugal and most of the people under 27 bought a Blackberry too, was kind of a fashionable "accessory" and everyone had to have one for text. Anyway all this just to say that I never made the transition to another brand since I got my first Blackberry, i'm proud to be a Blackberry user, I can't imagine my self without this efficient and productive QWERTY phone on my hands.

Saying that, the only reason i need Google Services is to install the Pokerstars app. I would buy a Z30 as a secondary phone just for that reason if it could run that app but never, ever get an android phone from samsung. Worst case scenario if Blackberry stops manufacturing smartphones i would get an HTC.

Forgot to mention that 96% of those people who bought a Blackberry in 2009 are now using Iphones and Android based phones, that is just sad...
    What does this have to do with the thread?

And I don't think your arguments are valid. I'm not using my BlackBerry Z10 for gaming at all. We like this because of the screen size, which is beneficial in for browsing, without sacrificing the productivity. I'm pretty sure I can type faster and more accurate than anyone on any devices, including those with physical keyboard.
    03-14-14 09:20 AM
    i bet you don't type faster than us with physical keyboards, remember that typing not only include letters but also symbols and numbers, there's no way you can type faster with a Z10 than those who own a Blackberry physical keyboard device even with all those wicked features of BB10 touch keyboards! period.

I'm pretty sure you can type faster with a BB10 full touch device than any other touch device on the market, but don't try to compete with a physical keyboard.

03-14-14 11:41 AM
    i bet you don't type faster than us with physical keyboards, remember that typing not only include letters but also symbols and numbers, there's no way you can type faster with a Z10 than those who own a Blackberry physical keyboard device even with all those wicked features of BB10 touch keyboards! period.

I'm pretty sure you can type faster with a BB10 full touch device than any other touch device on the market, but don't try to compete with a physical keyboard.

Nope. Dare to try? Find someone who is using the Z10. Try to type as fast as he can.
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    03-15-14 12:26 AM
    whatever..
    03-15-14 02:31 PM

Well I can type faster on my Z10 than I could on my old 9900.

That's because "flipping" the words saves SO MUCH time when writing. You can't do that on a physical keyboard.

You can definitely type more accurately on a physical keyboard, but that's another story all together.

Everyone is different too, some might be able to type faster on a virtual, while others are faster on a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 03:20 PM
    Turn the word predictions on for the Q it will fly even faster. But it really only helps with long words and unique number sequences because you will type most short words faster on the real keyboard than by picking the prediction.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 11:07 AM
    Going through the trouble to Dual boot a whole OS just to play a game? I mean come on... too much effort

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-16-14 02:39 PM
    is Poker just a game?
    03-16-14 08:33 PM
    is Poker just a game?
    According to Wikipedia it is:

Poker is a family of card games involving betting and individual play, whereby the winner is determined by the ranks and combinations of their cards, some of which remain hidden until the end of the game.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 10:29 PM
    Install the APK above all you want.

I don't think it will root or harm you device in the slightest. It will do a lot of...

Wait for it...

Nothing. . It is meant for devices reliant on Android architecture. It may mess up your Android runtime - but I doubt it will even do that. As a good chunk of that runtime is sandboxed from itself.

Android on bbry is, ironically, better protected than android on android.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-16-14 11:29 PM

You underestimate the BB10 touch keyboard. It's faster than a physical.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-16-14 11:31 PM
    I think it is not possible to root BlackBerry 10 android

I think u should buy one more new nokia x android and root it

BHiNDER
    03-16-14 11:40 PM
    I'm not alone in Portugal! Long-live Q10!
    But would be great to have dual-boot for my secondary Z10
    07-08-14 10:22 AM