Hi all,

A new thread was in order, I felt, for impact, just in case any BlackBerry employee is scouting these forums and they have any ounce of customer care left in them. I finally heard back from the BlackBerry technical support department.

Several of you have now noticed that starting since one, maybe two updates ago, BlackBerry Hub is now actually deleting your Gmails -- Deleting as in throwing them in the "trash" which is usually not where Gmail users desire mail they are finished with. At least not non-spam mail.

It used to archive them to "all mail," and users who wanted true deleting could slightly tweak the Gmail Web settings to do so -- no big deal.

Well now, BlackBerry has stated that true deleting is the intended function and there is no work-around...

I rely on Gmail and archiving. I can't file to all mail - it is not even an option for a folder to sync, and it isn't an option to map that folder in the account settings for what delete does. You could try creating a new label and see if it would let you put mail there, but that's a whole convention to set and too much of a hassle.

Am I mad? Not really. Thank you BlackBerry for making my transition to Android full-time easier and more satisfying since you pulled the plug on BlackBerry 10 anyway. And will I buy your suites for Android or your Android phone? Not a chance in hell if you cannot even suit Gmail users properly. The Hub is great, don't get me wrong, but having it not work properly defeats the whole purpose of a more convenient inbox. I will stick to Android notifications plus "all inboxes" feature that their app has.

Wiedersehen!

--STV posting from his now-legacy, relic BlackBerry Z30
    09-03-15 06:37 PM
    If i delete an email....i want it deleted and not archived. If I want it archived i move it to another folder myself. But that is just me....
    09-03-15 06:42 PM
    Why is your phone deleting your email? Are you sure you set the time-frame to "forever" under your email settings?

Posted via CB10
    TJKGT likes this.
    09-03-15 06:42 PM
    If i delete an email....i want it deleted and not archived. If I want it archived i move it to another folder myself. But that is just me....
    So you're telling me, therefore, that you disliked how The Hub handled gmail up until now?

And your answer is an invalid point because as I said, those that wanted to have it that way could set it up to do so.

I'm complaining now because there is NO way to archive your emails now. Literally, no way to do it. It is not an issue of preference - it is an issue of no way to utilize a very important feature of Gmail from The Hub. Boo BlackBerry.

Wmsi and AllanQuatermain like this.
    09-03-15 06:44 PM
    Why is your phone deleting your email? Are you sure you set the time-frame to "forever" under your email settings?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, of course. This has nothing to do with that. Reread my original post.

09-03-15 06:46 PM
    Delete is meant to delete. Great move by BlackBerry to finally fix the flaw.
    Enjoy your Android.
    09-03-15 06:47 PM
    So you're telling me, therefore, that you disliked how The Hub handled gmail up until now?

And your answer is an invalid point because as I said, those that wanted to have it that way could set it up to do so.

I'm complaining now because there is NO way to archive your emails now. Literally, no way to do it. It is not an issue of preference - it is an issue of no way to utilize a very important feature of Gmail from The Hub. Boo BlackBerry.

actually yeah, i never really used my gmail on bb10 because it didnt have activesync and was crippled. This new way of doing it doesnt really solve the issues either but I do agree it works more like i think it should
    ultra07 and bp2k7 like this.
    09-03-15 06:51 PM
    Delete is meant to delete. Great move by BlackBerry to finally fix the flaw.
    Enjoy your Android.
    So you think it is totally acceptable that there is -no way- to archive aka send your mail to "all mail" now?

I just don't get some people on here. Why would you ever be against options? Are you a confederate or something? Seriously. (lol)

09-03-15 06:52 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't care that Hub now improperly handles Gmail-img_20150903_185536.png

"All Mail" isn't an option. They added this stuff recently but forgot to put in the most important selection for the option.

Clearly BlackBerry development has lost a lot of good talent.

Meanwhile I can create a new label on my Gmail called "Crap I want to archive but BlackBerry is lame" and map delete to that. Yay! Thanks BlackBerry for slowing me down instead of the original mantra - Keep Moving.

09-03-15 06:56 PM
    So you think it is totally acceptable that there is -no way- to archive aka send your mail to "all mail" now?

I just don't get some people on here. Why would you ever be against options? Are you a confederate or something? Seriously. (lol)

Jumping in here - I think it's acceptable that delete now deletes. Works as expected. However, I agree that Blackberry needs to fix the functionality - hiding the All Mail folder so you can't file to it is unacceptable.

Bonus: this change now means no more breaking desktop IMAP clients. That workaround should never have become the accepted canon for fixing the BB10-induced issue.

BlackBerry needs to fix their GIMAP support. Especially if they're going to bring the BlackBerry Experience to Android. The competition is stiff and works properly. The Experience won't be successful if it continues to have these issues.
    09-03-15 07:00 PM
    Jumping in here - I think it's acceptable that delete now deletes. Works as expected. However, I agree that Blackberry needs to fix the functionality - hiding the All Mail folder so you can't file to it is unacceptable.

Bonus: this change now means no more breaking desktop IMAP clients. That workaround should never have become the accepted canon for fixing the BB10-induced issue.

BlackBerry needs to fix their GIMAP support. Especially if they're going to bring the BlackBerry Experience to Android. The competition is stiff and works properly. The Experience won't be successful if it continues to have these issues.
    ^Most logical person here.

Thank you for your response. Someone who may differ in opinion on what they want -their- delete button to do, but who understands why options are important and, beyond that, understands why it is crucial for this to be a priority for BlackBerry to address.

It's sad that the BlackBerry fanboys that are left have had to become so defensive of this dying platform that they have to foam at the mouth and senselessly defend something that is broken as good.

09-03-15 07:04 PM
    I agree with the OP. I took advantage of the fact that if I deleted something from the HUB, it was archived and not actually deleted - this is a feature that really sucks to lose.

Personally, when I delete things from the HUB, it's not because I'm relegating it to trash, but because I want to clean up the HUB from emails that I won't need in the near future. That doesn't mean that I won't want to look it up months from now, and have it be there. As STV0726 said, if you DID want to delete your messages, there were simple solutions in changing a couple of settings in Gmail.

IMO, this feature being gone, combined with the fact that doing a universal search on my phone doesn't include Gmail emails that are archived (All Mail folder), is pretty sad for a company that puts out hardware/software that is supposed to "keep me productive."
    Dr J39 likes this.
    09-03-15 07:16 PM
    To me, the missing functionality is to be able to archive gmail email from the Hub and from the individual email. Even in Gmail, delete means delete, and archive mean remove from the inbox.

Obviously, though, the OP is correct that BlackBerry developers originally accommodated Gmail functionality in their implementation of email handling for Google, and that a change was made that effectively removed a valuable function.

I use Gmail on my BB10 phone, but all of my email handling is done in Gmail so that I never delete Gmail emails on my handset.

But I'm comfortable with leaving 20k emails in my Gmail Inbox, where many others won't be.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 07:18 PM
    However, I agree that Blackberry needs to fix the functionality - hiding the All Mail folder so you can't file to it is unacceptable.
    This is the root of the misconception. There is no all mail folder; gmail doesn't use folders like make other email services, they use labels. Every email received resides in one folder with different labels; the inbox label allows you to see them in the inbox label tab, the all mail folder allows you to see all emails regardless of label.

Other platforms don't suffer from the complaints in. This and many threads because they have and use the standalone Gmail app that Google releases on other platforms. This is also why all mail is not an option to sync to.

It's sad that the BlackBerry fanboys that are left have had to become so defensive of this dying platform that they have to foam at the mouth and senselessly defend something that is broken as good.

No one is being a fanboy here; but you sure are being a drama queen. And it seems to me the only one foaming at the mouth here is you; at every chance you get to talk smack about BlackBerry. Why that is, is anyone's best guess though; but take some advice, hating for the sake of hating is bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 07:28 PM
    This is the root of the misconception. There is no all mail folder; gmail doesn't use folders like make other email services, they use labels. Every email received resides in one folder with different labels; the inbox label allows you to see them in the inbox label tab, the all mail folder allows you to see all emails regardless of label.

Other platforms don't suffer from the complaints in. This and many threads because they have and use the standalone Gmail app that Google releases on other platforms. This is also why all mail is not an option to sync to.
    You can still press and hold an email in Hub and archive it under a Label created in your inbox. This will remove it from your Hub, but keep it in your Gmail account.

I was going to chime in that Gmail does not use Folders, but someone beat me to it. Gmail relies on tags to organize your inbox - all mail stays in the same inbox, and gmail sorts it by the tags associated with each email. You can clearly see this by opening an email from the Gmail website, or by creating a new sort tab - it now says "Create New Label" and not "Create New Folder".
    ultra07, cbSwim and highos like this.
    09-03-15 07:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    You are correct that Gmail has labels, not folders. However, to an IMAP client it presents the labels as folders.

There are many, many, many, many, many other apps that get the behavior right. Not just the standalone Gmail app.

In fact, BB10 Hub is the only mail app that I've used recently (last 2-ish years) where it doesn't work properly with Gmail.
    Last edited by Jerry A; 09-03-15 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Swapped labels/folders by mistake
    southlander likes this.
    09-03-15 07:53 PM
    I don't understand your issue, go to Hub - Settings - Email Accounts - select account - Edit Account - Edit Folder Settings - Select which folders you want to sync to. When you archive a folder in the Hub it brings you this...
    BlackBerry doesn't care that Hub now improperly handles Gmail-img_20150903_200201.png

Which is what I'm assuming you are complaining about.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    pat-wallace likes this.
    09-03-15 08:02 PM
    I don't understand your issue, go to Hub - Settings - Email Accounts - select account - Edit Account - Edit Folder Settings - Select which folders you want to sync to. When you archive a folder in the Hub it brings you this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150903_200201.png 
Views:	1380 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	369678

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    This is what I mentioned in my first paragraph. I think the issue is that he wants to be able to archive his emails by just hitting the trash can, which is not its intended behavior. Delete actually Deletes now, although in email settings you can set the delete option to delete from the Hub only, the actual mailbox, or prompt every time - but that all just leaves them left as normal Read emails in your main inbox and won't sort them.

Either way, its kind of a weird question that I don't really see as a reason to complain.
    ultra07, gvs1341 and Joshu42 like this.
    09-03-15 08:23 PM
    Hub - Settings - Display and Actions - at the very bottom you can select which options to show when you click the top right lines with a check mark in the Hub. Then you can select to archive or delete. It's way better than the backwards way you're asking for.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    ultra07, Joshu42 and BCITMike like this.
    09-03-15 08:28 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150903_200201.png 
Views:	1380 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	369678

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    Where's All Mail in your screenshot? One of the issues is that the current BB10 behavior doesn't allow one to access All Mail.
    southlander likes this.
    09-03-15 08:48 PM
    One of the issues? All all mail does is pull mail from every folder in your Gmail account. You can achieve this by following the first instructions I listed and selecting sync all folders. Issue solved.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    09-03-15 08:51 PM
    Even with "Sync All Folders" the "All Mail" label/folder doesn't appear in the Hub.

Issue. Not. Solved.
    09-03-15 09:26 PM
    Stop with these "don't care" posts. FFS.

If someone started spouting what I care or not care about that they don't actually know, I'm livid.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 09:54 PM
    Stop with these "don't care" posts. FFS.

If someone started spouting what I care or not care about that they don't actually know, I'm livid.

Posted via CB10
    Huh?
    09-03-15 09:57 PM
    No, it's not just you.

Posted via CB10
    TripNFry and anon(7915689) like this.
    09-03-15 09:59 PM
254 123 ...