So let's start this thread with an overview of my Memory Usage in an average situation:
    BlackBerry Device Monitor: Checking Memory usage...-img_20150624_003959.png
    BlackBerry Device Monitor: Checking Memory usage...-mockit_24062015004223.jpg

Now as far as I can remember my Passport has had this behaviour, so at first I didn't think anything was up. But when I compared with my Q10 running the exact same setup, I find:
    BlackBerry Device Monitor: Checking Memory usage...-ujzwj1vkeo0sjz0v1r46hq.png

So I thought to myself where is this huge memory consumption of the Passport coming from? Why does the Q appear more managed/efficient?
    That's when I noticed:
    If you manually add up all the items listed in Memory Usage, the PP is showing ~1GB too much!

Now I can understand a little discrepancy, sure. But the way it looks now, is that 1GB of the PP RAM is always magically in use...
    This becomes an issue, as I have lately started to notice some apps force close without a clear cause. Some even give "memory warning" notifications as a result of what Memory Usage shows, instead of what should actually be available still.

I wonder how many of you can confirm this error in Memory Usage, and if you think you also noticed your device to behave worse because of it?

Or am I missing something, and is there some magical part of the system that does need so much RAM, but won't show up in the Monitor?

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    06-23-15 05:57 PM
    If you look a the memory use from some systems, desktop Linux for example, you will find that if they have been running for any length of time all memory is in use. Modern OS memory usage isn't about how much memory is free, but how much can be freed up when needed. A mobile device is different from a desktop or server device because there is no swap. So memory won't be used as flamboyantly because it can't be freed up by swapping something out. On the other hand what good does having 1GB unused all day do you? Operating system design is all about efficient use of available resources, not necessarily avoiding the use of those resources. I would be interested in which applications are being force closed. My first thought is that they are not responding to the OS signals that available memory is getting critically low.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    06-23-15 06:24 PM
    So let's start this thread with an overview of my Memory Usage in an average situation:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150624_003959.png 
Views:	1130 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	359171

Name:	MockIt_24062015004223.jpg 
Views:	1132 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	359172

Now as far as I can remember my Passport has had this behaviour, so at first I didn't think anything was up. But when I compared with my Q10 running the exact same setup, I find:

Name:	ujzwJ1VKEo0sjz0v1r46HQ.png 
Views:	1130 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	359173

So I thought to myself where is this huge memory consumption of the Passport coming from? Why does the Q appear more managed/efficient?
    That's when I noticed:
    If you manually add up all the items listed in Memory Usage, the PP is showing ~1GB too much!

Now I can understand a little discrepancy, sure. But the way it looks now, is that 1GB of the PP RAM is always magically in use...
    This becomes an issue, as I have lately started to notice some apps force close without a clear cause. Some even give "memory warning" notifications as a result of what Memory Usage shows, instead of what should actually be available still.

I wonder how many of you can confirm this error in Memory Usage, and if you think you also noticed your device to behave worse because of it?

Or am I missing something, and is there some magical part of the system that does need so much RAM, but won't show up in the Monitor?

Unused RAM is wasted RAM in PC's.... Check CPU for slowness.
    06-23-15 06:29 PM
    Please guys I was clear enough in my OP:

I do not want free unused ram just for the sake of having it remain unused! I know how it works.
    The problem is the OS is saying ~2GB RAM is in use when adding up all the items it shows only adds up to ~1GB! So there is just 1GB unaccounted for in the Device Monitor. Even after a reboot it seems this 1GB already starts out "used", like it is permanently locked/unavailable.
    And whenever the Device Monitor starts to show "below ~500MB free space", other apps are being closed randomly. Headless stuff stopping, Active Frames suddenly becoming transparent.

Affected apps range from stuff like BBM, Remember, the Browser, to third party apps like Reddit in Motion or Feedminder. Everything seems to be affected, as soon as I start using memory heavy apps like the Browser/Camera I run the chance of them suddenly closing.

CPU is not the limiting factor here, I have never seen that get even close to 100% with the way I use my device and the affected apps are usually Idle to begin with, not active.

So the OS clearly believes it is running low on memory, but whatever I do, this 1GB never is, and never becomes, available, even when the remaining Free memory is used up. Instead to regain memory it starts to close Active apps that are listed in the DM.

So if I effectively have 2GB available to me, what was the purpose of advertising 3GB for the Passport?

_____
    p.s.: in comparison, it seems devices like Q10/Z10 do list Memory Usage properly. So for them their entire 2GB is accounted for and memory usage can be explained logically...

06-24-15 02:19 AM
    What OS Version are you on and how did you get this OS?
    06-24-15 10:42 AM
    BlackBerry Device Monitor: Checking Memory usage...-img_20150624_175823.png

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-24-15 10:59 AM
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2204

Posted via my awesome Passport
    Attachment 359269
    06-24-15 11:29 AM
    I had it first on 10.3.1, it is the main reason I decided to load the Beta OS. Unfortunately that did not fix the issue. Neither have two complete reloads of the OS.

Just trying to create awareness of the problem, because I have heard almost no one mention this, while at the same time a lot of people are experiencing issues on the Passport with apps force closing.
    I imagine the two are related.

EDIT:
    To those posting just their Dev Monitor, that doesn't help, I asked specifically if the Numbers add up to the same as the "Used" memory count. As far as I can tell it only applies to the Passport, any device with just 2GB seems to list it correctly.

06-24-15 02:26 PM
    I had it first on 10.3.1, it is the main reason I decided to load the Beta OS. Unfortunately that did not fix the issue. Neither have two complete reloads of the OS.

Just trying to create awareness of the problem, because I have heard almost no one mention this, while at the same time a lot of people are experiencing issues on the Passport with apps force closing.
    I imagine the two are related.

EDIT:
    To those posting just their Dev Monitor, that doesn't help, I asked specifically if the Numbers add up to the same as the "Used" memory count. As far as I can tell it only applies to the Passport, any device with just 2GB seems to list it correctly.

It could be a typo? Or it's not account for the system RAM usage properly? It's a BETA OS thing's like this are pretty expected... Your phone can nuke itself but it's on you for installing the OS. Best thing to do now is to flash up and see if it resolves, if not contact BBRY tech support your phone RAM chips may be faulty? How is the RAM divided in passports? 1GB a chip?
    06-28-15 04:12 PM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry Tech support, for non-enterprise at least, is... non-existant.
    Last time I had an issue it took me three weeks to finally get a call back. It came from a random Asian Callcenter that clearly wasn't trained at all for BB10 problem solving, and was only allowed to give out pre-written replies.

I'm not complaining, I've been around long enough to understand how it works when you load a beta OS. I just wanted to make this thread because I saw 0 people mention this behaviour, and at the same time many people on the Passport/this OS complaining about force closed apps.

Well so far now one has really said Yes or No to my question: "does your Device Monitor Memory usage add up, and if NO; do you notice apps force closing when the D.M. says memory is full, while there should actually be a lot of memory still free?"

06-28-15 04:48 PM
    Bumping this. Is there really no one that thinks it is totally weird for the Device Monitor to show completely inaccurate values?

I am getting tired of slowdowns and apps closing when there should be plenty of cpu/memory left...

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed | BB Social → C0007CC89
    08-05-15 02:25 AM
    I noticed with certain apps, the amount of RAM listed as used can be an understatement; +2mb is really +20mb, etc.

And I noticed it after closing those apps and the amount of free RAM gained was larger than what was listed in use or the amount freed is unaffected; depends on the app android or native.

I imagine it's less of an issue on a Passport than on the other 2gb RAM devices (oh and the 1.5gb one too). My use case will close out apps on the z10.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    Last edited by sibeans; 08-05-15 at 08:38 PM.
    08-05-15 02:46 AM
    BlackBerry Device Monitor: Checking Memory usage...-img_20150805_160317.png
    BlackBerry Device Monitor: Checking Memory usage...-img_20150805_160325.png

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    08-05-15 03:03 AM
    * images *
    So I'm counting maybe ~750mb there in the list (maybe ~900 with the missing parts?) and the Chart shows ~1900.
    So then it's pretty much a useless view isn't it? Either it's completely broken, or as said ↑ above ↑ you, the numbers are somehow 'just' an understatement.

With the way my Passport has been behaving on the last few OS versions, like how the video camera always freezes and/or causes other apps to close, I just feel like this faulty Monitor values are actually causing problems elsewhere down the line.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed | BB Social → C0007CC89
    08-05-15 06:36 PM