I bought one of these but I'm still on my existing data plan from Rogers? Will they still therefore be paying the monthly BIS fees to Blackberry?

Doesn't seem to be any incentive to switch to a regular plan, I'm surprised Rogers aren't trying to migrate people if the above is indeed the case.
    02-27-13 08:26 AM
    The biggest issue is that most BIS & BES plans do not bundle much data as part of it as it wasn't needed with BB7 and earlier. BB10 is going to use much more data, and so may well bust through your bundled limits and cost you money. As an example my last month of BB7 use (mostly email/calendar, with a bit of web browsing and SatNav map use) averaged 500Kb/day. My first week with BB10, with a lot of time spent on WiFi (certainly activation and downloading apps) and I was up to 5Mb/day. Second week I was off wifi most of the time and it was over 10Mb/day. Bearing in mind I connect to BDS so there is some compression there that is not there for non-BDS Blackberry traffic, and I am not a mad Blackberry user (I have other devices for that) that is a massive jump.
    lactose likes this.
    02-27-13 09:20 AM
    For BlackBerry Z10 there is no BlackBerry data plan so you will need to switch to a generic data plan lest you exceed the small data cap that served you well with the previous BlackBerry smartphones. As a consumer, BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) has no advantage over a generic data plan anymore. For corporate users on a BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10), the BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) data plan of yesteryear is not required and again provides no discernible advantage over a generic data plan. If you have a BlackBerry 10 smartphone activated against BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, a generic data plan is sufficient. If you remain on an older BIS or BES data plan you need to monitor your data usage very closely to ensure you do not exceed the limit and incur additional fees. BlackBerry did a horrid job communicating these simple facts.
    02-27-13 04:35 PM
    Not all BIS plan have small data caps, and any phone can run on the data of a BIS plan.

Don't know ow what your carriers are doing but I have 12 lines with Rogers, all BIS, all 6GB per month, and only $30 each. Best part for BlackBerry is that they are getting a cut of each line from Rogers and only half of the lines have berries.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 05:45 PM
    Not all BIS plan have small data caps, and any phone can run on the data of a BIS plan.

Don't know ow what your carriers are doing but I have 12 lines with Rogers, all BIS, all 6GB per month, and only $30 each. Best part for BlackBerry is that they are getting a cut of each line from Rogers and only half of the lines have berries.

Posted via CB10
    A 6 GB BlackBerry data plan is generally not the norm for most people. We tend to have 500 MB or 1 GB BlackBerry data plan and those are too limited for an LTE smartphone especially if it is to be used for more than email. At thirty dollars a month for each of the twelve telephone numbers you must have received a volume/family/business discount.
    02-27-13 08:08 PM
    Here in the States I was swapping a SIM for a little bit. When the SIM was in the 9810 AT&T showed me on a BIS plan. When the SIM was in the Galaxy Note, it showed me on a LTE data plan. Their computers seemingly knew in an instant where the SIM was - makes sense once the phone registers after start up that information is shared to the main computers quickly. My guess is, and it's just my guess, is that since it was the carriers who basically killed BIS, I am sure they have no intention of paying a BIS charge on a BB10 phone, and they would know that you had one in an instant.
    02-27-13 08:19 PM
    The thing that made BIS and BES data plans special with BB 7 was the pushing of service books by the carriers. That appears to be no longer part of the model.
    02-27-13 09:34 PM
    A 6 GB BlackBerry data plan is generally not the norm for most people. We tend to have 500 MB or 1 GB BlackBerry data plan and those are too limited for an LTE smartphone especially if it is to be used for more than email. At thirty dollars a month for each of the twelve telephone numbers you must have received a volume/family/business discount.
    Nah, no special discount, it was a promotion that Rogers runs a few times a year, usually with the release a new flagship phone. They offer a generic 6GB plan for 30, but if you call and ask they will match the price on a BIS plan.

People should keep thir eyes out for this deal as the 1GB plans are still about $25, so it's only $1 per GB for the bigger plan.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 10:05 PM
    I am sure they have no intention of paying a BIS charge on a BB10 phone, and they would know that you had one in an instant.
    If I have a BIS plan I don't think Rogers has a choice. I can swap devices at any point during a billing cycle and BIS services are there.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 10:09 PM