Given the recent move by Jolla to put the sailfish os on certain android phones, is this a possibility down the line for the Blackberry 10 OS. For me the attraction for Blackberry is the OS far more than the handset. Given the BYOD movement, to me the next logical step would be the ability to put the OS on suitably equiped phones. Because i had an upgrade available and no suitable touchscreen Blackberry in sight i picked up a LG G3 to go with my Z10. already Rooted and everything google removed. I would love to see what 10.3 os would look like on this phone.
    07-11-14 09:33 AM
    No it isn't possible.

Part of BB10's security model is backed into the hardware.

But yes a NOTE 3 with BB10 would be really nice!
    diegonei and DYLANHABKIRK like this.
    07-11-14 09:44 AM
    agreed not at this point but if down the line blackberry decides that handsets are not economical or wants to remain in the niche keyboard sector due to it not being possible to compete with the established touchscreen manufacturers what will be available for the average consumer
    07-11-14 10:03 AM
    Part of the issue is hardware... As with the Playboolk BB 10 devices have an excrypted chip that checksums the boot loader thus making it either extremely difficulet or impossible to root.... OP issue is a bit confusing... Outside of the passport most phones now a days are basically the same with varying hardware specs so what would be gained by this????
    07-11-14 10:14 AM
    The gain is running bb10 on the best possible hardware without the pressure of BlackBerry having to produce top line devices. As I said at the start. For me it's the os. My z10 is good and capable but small. The z30 is very good but not a fan of amoled and as demands increase will the spec hold up. So far a high end all touch is rumour and speculation and if the next two keyboards don't score will BB chance another high end device.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-11-14 03:04 PM
    The gain is running bb10 on the best possible hardware without the pressure of BlackBerry having to produce top line devices. As I said at the start. For me it's the os. My z10 is good and capable but small. The z30 is very good but not a fan of amoled and as demands increase will the spec hold up. So far a high end all touch is rumour and speculation and if the next two keyboards don't score will BB chance another high end device.

And instead add the pressure of having the hardware team write device drivers for much more device configurations than necessary?

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    07-11-14 07:28 PM
    Hardware is relatively similar across the high end devices but never mind. The premise of the thread was the possibility of. So far we've seen a phone for the developing world, the abandonment of any push of the existing z30 and 2 phones for the enterprise space. If your happy with those choices great. Go down to a phone store and use a LG G3 or similar and wonder if only. I would guesstimate 90 percent of the people using BlackBerry don't use the security potential of the phone, I know I don't. It's the OS.

07-11-14 11:15 PM
    Android is an OS (as is BB10), so you're asking if the BB10 OS should be installed on Samsung, HTC, Motorola, or other manufacturers hardware?

If BlackBerry can't make it in the device world, I can't see them continuing to invest in their own OS. I also don't believe they'd be more successful by having their OS on a Samsung device. If the BlackBerry hardware running BB10 is ultimately rejected by consumers, I think consumers would equally reject BB10 running on Samsung's hardware.
    07-12-14 03:23 PM
    Android is an OS (as is BB10), so you're asking if the BB10 OS should be installed on Samsung, HTC, Motorola, or other manufacturers hardware?

If BlackBerry can't make it in the device world, I can't see them continuing to invest in their own OS. I also don't believe they'd be more successful by having their OS on a Samsung device. If the BlackBerry hardware running BB10 is ultimately rejected by consumers, I think consumers would equally reject BB10 running on Samsung's hardware.
    Exactly. And how much would you be willing to pay for a copy of BB10 to install on your Android phone? Or do you expect BlackBerry to give it away?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 05:19 PM
    If the passport and classic don't sell in the required numbers then highend BlackBerry devices could well be on the chopping block. The current spec BB phones are middle tier at best. The company's whole intent seems to be moving to services. Devices are a very small part of the future and as already indicated by Chen if they don't show profit then they'll go. His job is to make blackberry viable not make phones. Yes I would be willing to pay a price for the OS on the device of my choice. My phone is a computer much like my laptop and software is purchased to meet requirements much like apps. Think of the OS as an expensive app.

07-13-14 02:41 AM
    Smh..this is not going to happen. If you want an android buy an android.

Posted via tin can telephone
    07-13-14 06:18 AM
    I think there is at least a chance that BlackBerry could end up as only a software company once the rest of the BlackBerry 10 wrinkles are gone. The hardware fame is a tough one and as much as people like some of the hardware, BlackBerry is fighting a higher device failure date than ever before. NOTE this is only based on my experience having had 4 Z10's out of 15 fail in the first year. (combination of business and personal devices)

I think what you're suggesting could happen obviously with some changes to the platform to be used on non-native devices.

Post via BlackBerry ZedAche 10.2.1.3247
    07-13-14 11:04 AM
    If the passport and classic don't sell in the required numbers then highend BlackBerry devices could well be on the chopping block. The current spec BB phones are middle tier at best. The company's whole intent seems to be moving to services. Devices are a very small part of the future and as already indicated by Chen if they don't show profit then they'll go. His job is to make blackberry viable not make phones. Yes I would be willing to pay a price for the OS on the device of my choice. My phone is a computer much like my laptop and software is purchased to meet requirements much like apps. Think of the OS as an expensive app.

Microsoft's problem is people are not buying upgrades or paying for the OS. They upgrade their OS when they buy a replacement computer - and they aren't doing that nearly as often anymore. Sure a few people are willing to put another $100 into their existing system, but that is a really small number. For BB10 that would be a unsustainable number.

Chen's initial taughts were BlackBerry should drop hardware and move to a Services model, which he is more familiar with. The problem is after he learn more about the company, I think he figured out that BES currently relies very heavily on HARDWARE. And so you haven't hear him saying that anymore, and it sure seems like he is willing to push hardware until the very end now. Might be that most of those Services fees are due to BBOS devices on BIS Plans which are slipping away - which is why he is hesitant to EOL BBOS. And I bet the number of non-BlackBerry licenses for BES are pretty small and mostly with companies that have a strong BlackBerry presences. Maybe there are companies out there they only have iPhones or Androids and are using BES for management...
    07-14-14 08:28 AM
    I think some of your comments have good arguments. First of all, I use a BlackBerry Z10 because of the OS. The added security is nice but not what actually got me to use it. I use my phone to communicate, via phone calls or texts/BBM's, not for apps. I use it as a camera, notebook, agenda. I browse the Web on it, check my social media. I listen to all my music from this very device. In all of these things BlackBerry 10 gives me a superior experience in comparison with other systems. With BlackBerry Hub and the predictive text on the amazing keyboard I can do more, quicker. I ultimately love it because of its features, not the extra security.

And what specs are concerned, it isn't the raw hardware that matters, it's the experience. My BlackBerry Z10 runs beautifully on a 1.5 GHz dual core processor and a meh GPU, the adreno 225. What counts is that the software was designed having these specs in mind. So while at first glance you don't expect it to do the things it does so greatly, the software is perfectly tailored to give you an awesome user experience even with mediocre hardware. But that isn't what the cards at phone shops say. The only thing they say is that from a hardware perspective BlackBerry phones are inferior to others. It's just the end user experience that matters. My grandmother bought a Samsung galaxy S4 a couple of months ago, obviously with 'top of the line ' hardware. It lags and freezes all the time. So don't tell me that hardware is the only key to a smooth experience on your smartphone.

And if BlackBerry wants to ditch the devices section of their company, I doubt them going to other manufacturers to get BlackBerry 10 out on other phones. BlackBerry phones have been designed by a clear philosophy : not having the thinnest, lightest or smallest phone ever, but to give the user a comfortable user experience. There is not any other smartphone manufacturer that follows this. I'm certain that BlackBerry will not abandon the complete package they deliver right now.

They might be in a downfall right now, but instead of beating the nails in their own coffin, they are pulling them out one by one. And if the passport and /or classic do not meet sale estimates, that's too bad but they were going to be niche devices anyway. Full touch is the key to having a bigger sale volume these days. So they put themselves in a worse position from the start. I personally like the devices, but that's not a guarantee that it's going to sell like crazy.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 04:34 PM
    Y'all are jokers .. What if you want a blackberry phone and you can't find one. Well that's the case. If you need a phone fast there are very few places to pick up a z10 or z30 anymore. Trust me I tried last week and after two days and more than 20 different stores , I gave into buying motoG
    07-14-14 08:31 PM