I have had my Q10 for 36 hours now. And already BB10 is driving me nuts. All the reasons I never went Apple have arrived--non intuitive gestures. But worst of all, two (so far) of the essential features (for me) of my 9900 are missing: (1) no categories in contacts; (2) can't BBM myself--the quickest and most efficient way to create a grocery list I ever saw.

Get it together BlackBerry--why are all the little nuances missing????

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:12 PM
    I have had my Q10 for 36 hours now. And already BB10 is driving me nuts. All the reasons I never went Apple have arrived--non intuitive gestures. But worst of all, two (so far) of the essential features (for me) of my 9900 are missing: (1) no categories in contacts; (2) can't BBM myself--the quickest and most efficient way to create a grocery list I ever saw.

Posted via CB10
    It's a new OS, less than 5 months old. There's no way you'll get the full functionality of the legacy BBOS right away. Look at other platforms like Apple, Android, Windows Phone. None of them had full functionality at launch either. That's just the way it goes: it takes time to program all of the features.

As a guess, you're looking at a year before it matures enough to be on par with older Blackberries. So your options are to switch to another platform, hold onto your older Blackberry or hold your nose and upgrade to BB10 and wait for the features to appear over the course of the next year (or so).
    bhrgvr, eldricho and Swamp55 like this.
    06-13-13 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the calming words. I need to count to 10 and calm down (pun intended). What gets me is the long delays for the devices and the seemingly immature OS. I can't help thinking they should be much further along.

At least they fixed the camera.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:23 PM
    For grocery lists, create a grocery list group in BBM, and use the list in that group
    06-13-13 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the calming words. I need to count to 10 and calm down (pun intended). What gets me is the long delays for the devices and the seemingly immature OS. I can't help thinking they should be much further along.

At least they fixed the camera.

Posted via CB10
    "Immaturity" is a comparative thing. Obviously, BB10 isnewer and not as mature. Which goes back to the notion that you as a user need to do some research before signing on the dotted line...
    bluetroll likes this.
    06-13-13 07:30 PM
    I find the phone very intuitive. Much easier to get than old bb.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:31 PM
    I would also like to see the contacts app updated as well as other native apps like the music player. As for your grocery list you can use the native app "Remember" I don't use it but sounds like the perfect thing to use in your case. Attach voice notes, pictures, make lists, and folders

It just takes time to go from one OS to a completely different OS. I used to have certain tricks and shortcuts when I used my 9900. But I obviously can't use those same tricks on BB10. Give it some time and you'll find some cool stuff you can do with the OS.
    06-13-13 07:38 PM
    IbPluto--great workaround on the BBM issue. That seems to work like a charm.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:43 PM
    But I also like to see that in the contacts app.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:45 PM
    Don't get it, I have tried at least 5 different apps dedicated to do shopping lists, some really good, and you want to use BBM (a instant messenger app) to keep shopping lists??? Uh? Lol, to each it own...

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    How dare you. Should of done some research before buying

Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    06-13-13 07:52 PM
    Don't get it, I have tried at least 5 different apps dedicated to do shopping lists, some really good, and you want to use BBM (a instant messenger app) to keep shopping lists??? Uh? Lol, to each it own...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah... I don't really get this point...
    06-13-13 08:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    The "Stuff I Need" app is awesome for shopping and To-do lists, and a share function will be added in a future (hopefully soon!) update.
    CMcRob likes this.
    06-13-13 08:10 PM
    +1 for stuff I need. Great little app when a full-on Ever note memo isn't really needed.
    SharonRD likes this.
    06-13-13 10:38 PM
    I find the gestures very intuitive actually and I third the stuff I need app.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 10:43 PM
    +1 for stuff I need. Great little app when a full-on Ever note memo isn't really needed.
    Agreed, never use it either.
    06-13-13 10:49 PM
    Complaining about bbm yourself about your grocery list when there are tons of notes app in app world. I never tried Stuff I Need, but the simple My Notes can do the trick.
    06-13-13 11:14 PM
    I use Remember for my grocery list. And as I'm shopping I can click or check mark the items one by one as I get them. Tada!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 11:27 PM
    The thing I like about "Stuff I Need" is that it has check boxes beside the items, with an option to remove items as soon as the boxes are ticked. It also supports multiple lists, which is great for keeping lists organised, so I can have permanent lists for different stores, To-do lists, etc

Blackberry 10 is Zero for Two-img_00000054.png
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-13-13 11:29 PM
    Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 11:59 PM
    After three days you will regret you even wrote this thread. Trust me.

Posted via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-14-13 12:04 AM
    In my own defence: I didn't have much choice in the Q10 (work provided) but I'm quite sure research would not easily have picked up these problems--you have to use it to learn it.

As to the Stuff I Need and other apps, what I need is simplicity. One place to keep notes and random thoughts, without it being mixed up with my many work-related Remember entries, and without having to muck about creating checklists or having menu choices to link pictures, etc. One of the reasons BBM is THE iconic app for BlackBerry is the simplicity of it--just type and go. It is way more effective a quick notetaking tool than all the other apps, and it is right there, probably the secondmost used feature of the phone. I cannot possibly be the only one who used BBM in this way.

Posted via CB10
    calirevolt likes this.
    06-14-13 12:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    What don't you feel is intuitive about the gestures? There's still a lot of room for improvement.
    06-14-13 12:47 AM
    How do you set that up in remember to let it give you check boxes like that?

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 12:55 AM
    How do you set that up in remember to let it give you check boxes like that?

Posted via CB10
    If you're refering to SharonRD's post above, its not in Remember app, its an entire app on its own for which she mentioned called

"Stuff I Need"
    ^ I personally hate that app but each to their own and there are other choices.
    06-14-13 03:20 AM
43 12