I saw this on a blackberry thailand facebook page. I would like to draw your attention to second point. Based on this, please correct me if I am making wrong conclusion about BIS/BES not being mandatory on BB10
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry 10 wont require BIS or BES it seems-309845_10151234539135794_2118054915_n.jpg  
    stberry likes this.
    01-29-13 07:49 AM
    It seems like it won't need BIS... it's a bad news for me. i was used to browse and use other internet resources without having to check how many Mb left!!!! , maybe it means that BIS won't be compulsory (to run bbm for example) but still available
    01-29-13 08:03 AM
    It seems like it won't need BIS... it's a bad news for me. i was used to browse and use other internet resources without having to check how many Mb left!!!! , maybe it means that BIS won't be compulsory (to run bbm for example) but still available
    Doesn't the text clearly state, that no special data plan will be required to "use any of the Blackberry services such as BBM or email"?
    01-29-13 08:08 AM
    could be.
    01-29-13 08:09 AM
    Doesn't the text clearly state, that no special data plan will be required to "use any of the Blackberry services such as BBM or email"?
    It says "required", not that it's not offered. We'll have to wait and see what the plans are.
    01-29-13 08:28 AM
    Why would it require BES if it uses Activesync. Same as the iPhone.
    01-29-13 09:47 AM
    Why would it require BES if it uses Activesync. Same as the iPhone.
    I believe BES will still be required for BB Balance, and to push out the IT restrictions to the device.
    01-29-13 10:24 AM
    Yes, of course, but it's not required to send/receive email. i.e. if you're a small shop with no BES and no care for a BES you can still use your corporate email you just won't have everything else that the BES offers.
    01-29-13 11:25 AM
    I have a feeling since they are not charging carriers for access to BIS anymore they will be routing data through the NOC in another way. People with a dev device still access the NOC they still get the BIS symbol. BIS isnt going anywhere anytime soon
    narci likes this.
    01-29-13 11:39 AM
    If this is the case, then that means the service books arent necessary anymore and blackberry devices can now be used on MVNO's like myself on Straight Talk. This would be fantastic in that I wouldnt have to sign up with ATT just to get this phone working.
    01-29-13 01:16 PM
    Does no mandatory BIS/BES mean that the new Blackberry world would be available across the globe and not just in specific countries? It concerns me because I travel.
    01-29-13 09:41 PM
    From what I have heard no BIS/BES plan is required. Just a regular smartphone data plan. BlackBerry service are routed through your BlackBerry ID. All will be known in 10 1/2 hours.
    01-29-13 10:33 PM
    BlackBerry - Business Cloud Services for Microsoft Office 365 - US
    From what I have heard no BIS/BES plan is required. Just a regular smartphone data plan. BlackBerry service are routed through your BlackBerry ID. All will be known in 10 1/2 hours.
    Well, I watched the live launch event, and I didn't get any answers on this issue. Did I miss it, or was it not addressed?

From what I've been learning in talking with a senior tech at RIM, without a BB service you can still use ActiveSync but all you'll get are the basics (to me, ActiveSync is so lousy I don't even bother with it -- can't even get attachments to Calendar items, for instance).

For the BB service, you can go through an Exchange hosting company (or that's how it "used" to be at least), or your company's IT dept if they offer it... OR you can subscribe to Microsoft Office 365! This latter option seems the way to go if you want full BB10 feature-rich functionality and it's not supported by your company's IT department or if you don't have an Exchange host offering it and you don't want to administer a server on your own.

A very senior person on an Exchange forum pointed me to MS Office 365 just for Exchange, and then this senior RIM tech pointed me to MS Office 365 as the best way to get all the BB10 support with the least impediments to getting there. He also pointed out it's not BES per se that's needed but BDS -- BlackBerry Device Service (though he made it clear this is still all so new he himself isn�t sure what�s what as yet � that was two weeks ago).

And he pointed out to me that Microsoft and RIM have partnered with a specific new service to enable small users who subscribe to MS Office 365 to easily get full BB10 support. It's called BlackBerry Cloud Services. This seems to be THE solution for small or individual/independent users to have it all!
    01-30-13 11:27 AM
    Ok, so without BIS checking my email and pushing it to my phone, how much data will my phone chew up checking for email every 15 minutes?

And what about BB data compression for average everyday users? This was a huge plus for BlackBerry over iDroid.

Also, what does this do for things like tethering the PlayBook? Does all that data simply appear to the carrier as "BlackBerry data?
    01-30-13 11:50 AM
    Any ideas?
    01-30-13 04:04 PM
    Wait, so bbm is free now then? :S
    01-30-13 04:49 PM
    Ok, so without BIS checking my email and pushing it to my phone, how much data will my phone chew up checking for email every 15 minutes?

And what about BB data compression for average everyday users? This was a huge plus for BlackBerry over iDroid.

Also, what does this do for things like tethering the PlayBook? Does all that data simply appear to the carrier as "BlackBerry data?
    Synching won't use much data.

Compression isn't making as much of a difference to your data usage as you think it is because the only things that you would want to compress can't be compressed any further than they already are. For streamed audio and video (the real data consumers) there's simply no way that just running through BIS could be compressing it. The only way to compress that kind of data is by transcoding it on the fly, and thats very CPU intensive and radically reduces quality and fundamentally its not the same file that you get on the other end. If you don't believe me, pick yourself a short video and tell WinRAR to compress it with the highest level of compression. It'll spit out a RAR the same size as the video. That kind of data just can't be compressed like that; it is already compressed as well as it can be for the data that is there. If anything, the removal of BIS should improve your browsing experience because being routed through RIMs servers means the data takes longer to move because it has more hops to navigate. That's why blackberry browsers have always felt even less competitive than the competition, because it takes an extra second or two to even start loading. That's not a specs thing, thats a BIS thing.

As for the playbook, I can't imagine that it will make a significant difference to that. Certainly as they are upgrading the playbook to BB10, they can't have just forgotten it and will have ensured that one of the core features that sold it to a lot of us (the lack of a need for a separate data line) has stayed intact.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-13 07:29 PM
    perhaps to compete w/ imessage
    01-31-13 05:20 PM