Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By big bb
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry 10 Screen?

What type of screens will BB10 have?

Talking about the L-Series, I think they're going with an IPS, so this means LCD. But what about N-Series and future ones?

Thanks
    Stuff
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

I have read that it will be OLED
    Exclusive: BlackBerry 10 OLED Screen Details – Unified Surface, Burn-in, Power Consumption - N4BB
    Which make sense since reading the development documentation that why have out already, it talks about power comsumption by using darker colors to minimize the power use.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big bb View Post
    I have read that it will be OLED
    Exclusive: BlackBerry 10 OLED Screen Details – Unified Surface, Burn-in, Power Consumption - N4BB
    Which make sense since reading the development documentation that why have out already, it talks about power comsumption by using darker colors to minimize the power use.
    The PlayBook screen (which is not OLED) uses less power when it's displaying all-black (or dark) than when it is all-white (or light colours), so that would prove nothing about whether the BB10 phones will be OLED or not.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    The PlayBook screen (which is not OLED) uses less power when it's displaying all-black (or dark) than when it is all-white (or light colours), so that would prove nothing about whether the BB10 phones will be OLED or not.
    Interesting. Got any stats for it Peter?

I'm not about to start saving charts on Battery Guru since you already probably have them.
    Stuff
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

could you explain how LCD uses the same as OLED.

For OLED if the pixel is black it does not produce any light, with LCD when its black it need the maximum power to block the backlight from getting through

LCD vs OLED Comparison | www.lcdtv.net
    Take a look at the Energy Consumption part of the article
    We're takin' it Back!

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

could you explain how LCD uses the same as OLED.
    No, because I never said that. I was simply refuting the apparent claim that if a screen uses less power with dark pixels than with light pixels showing, it must therefore be an OLED. I've used Battery Guru to measure this on the PlayBook, which I'm pretty sure everyone agrees has an LCD screen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Me View Post
    Interesting. Got any stats for it Peter?
    Sure, I posted some info here a while back, and user Delmeister followed up with some detailed measurements.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

big bb is right, LCD uses more for blacks, and the blacks aren't as black as OLED. But what needs to be done is to find a middle ground. Something good outdoors and something that doesn't use as much power.
    Stuff
    CrackBerry Addict

ok, so i have absolutely no clue about this kind of stuff, but...

if bb10 devices will really have OLED-screens...hmn..
    aren't those the screens which are absolutely horrible in sunlight, meaning you can't see a damn thing?
    but im really not sure, maybe someone can help me out here and explain, thanks : )
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
    ok, so i have absolutely no clue about this kind of stuff, but...

if bb10 devices will really have OLED-screens...hmn..
    aren't those the screens which are absolutely horrible in sunlight, meaning you can't see a damn thing?
    but im really not sure, maybe someone can help me out here and explain, thanks : )
    If they will use OLED, yes, it's absolutely TERRIBLE in sunlight.

It'll look something like this if they use OLED.

OLED SCREEN EXAMPLE. CLICK ME!!!!

By the way, it's full brightness and showing colours, black and white text does not look any better.
    Stuff
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Me View Post
    If they will use OLED, yes, it's absolutely TERRIBLE in sunlight.

It'll look something like this if they use OLED.

OLED SCREEN EXAMPLE. CLICK ME!!!!

By the way, it's full brightness and showing colours, black and white text does not look any better.
    Don't Worry too much .. Active Matrix OLED = AMOLED

Many phones including the SGS3, Droid RAZR, HTC One S, and Lumia 900 use OLED technology.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

No, because I never said that. I was simply refuting the apparent claim that if a screen uses less power with dark pixels than with light pixels showing, it must therefore be an OLED. I've used Battery Guru to measure this on the PlayBook, which I'm pretty sure everyone agrees has an LCD screen.
    Sorry I meant the same as that they both use less with a darker colors
    We're takin' it Back!

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Sorry I meant the same as that they both use less with a darker colors
    There are web sites out there which explain these things with reference to the technology behind them. I don't recall any offhand, but it should be pretty straightforward to search on Google, as that's how I did it a year ago when this whole topic first came up.

What you were describing for LCDs is true of many of them, but not all, and definitely not the PlayBook's. It is therefore quite possible the BB10 phones will also use less power with dark screens, yet still use LCDs.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

What you were describing for LCDs is true of many of them, but not all, and definitely not the PlayBook's. It is therefore quite possible the BB10 phones will also use less power with dark screens, yet still use LCDs.
    Are you saying that the PlayBook is using Vertical alignment (VA) LCD
    We're takin' it Back!

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Are you saying that the PlayBook is using Vertical alignment (VA) LCD
    Please stop trying to guess what I'm saying. I said exactly what I wanted to say above.

I've measured the actual power consumption (using my app, which shows the power that the OS reports). It clearly uses less power when showing a black screen than with a white one. This is all I'm saying.

You may do your own research and draw your own conclusions. For all I know, you'll discover that the PlayBook actually uses an OLED screen! I have no idea about that... I only know what I and others have measured using the tools available.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Please stop trying to guess what I'm saying. I said exactly what I wanted to say above.

I've measured the actual power consumption (using my app, which shows the power that the OS reports). It clearly uses less power when showing a black screen than with a white one. This is all I'm saying.

You may do your own research and draw your own conclusions. For all I know, you'll discover that the PlayBook actually uses an OLED screen! I have no idea about that... I only know what I and others have measured using the tools available.
    I am sorry was not try to upset you I thought you knew exactly what screen it uses. and the only reason i put the VA screen is because what i have research is thats the only LCD that uses less then all the other LCD screens.
    Last edited by big bb; 11-23-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add LCD to clarify what type of screens
    We're takin' it Back!
    peter9477 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

I am sorry was not try to upset you I thought you knew exactly what screen it uses. and the only reason i put the VA screen is because what i have research is thats the only LCD that uses less then all the other screens.
    No, sorry, my info is all from the software perspective basically. I know lots about the PlayBook hardware from reading the teardown sites, etc, but I generally don't pay attention enough to remember most of the details of things like exactly what the screen is. Most such info seems unreliable anyway, like with the "Gorilla glass" question, which was debated back and forth at length when it released, and I don't recall if anyone ever really had a trustworthy answer. :-)
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Qaxl View Post
    Sadly, AMOLED screens are some of the worst in terms of brightness, color reproduction, and clarity.

Then there is the blue tint that taints everything, the problem of screen burn in, and visibility drops down to in sunlight.

A quality IPS-LCD 1280 x 720 would provide a much better experience.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Specwire View Post
    Sadly, AMOLED screens are some of the worst in terms of brightness, color reproduction, and clarity.

Then there is the blue tint that taints everything, the problem of screen burn in, and visibility drops down to in sunlight.

A quality IPS-LCD 1280 x 720 would provide a much better experience.
    Exactly, stick with IPS. That's just the TOP of the TOP!
    Stuff
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Yes - My S3's AMOLED screen is particularly horrendous in sunlight. My 9900 was far better. I do like the deep blacks though.

Hoping BB10 screens will get the best of both to go along with it's 356 ppi sharpness.
    Remember to RTFM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

nothing worse than watching a guy pull out his phone to show a funny video clip on YT and not being able to see it. You know its playing because it is and you can hear it...so is that an Android lol
    CrackBerry Master

Whatever the screen, it has been rumored, and might even be confirmed at this point, that it has a screen sensor built in which will automatically adjust to the various conditions that you use it in, and will adjust accordingly, which IF this does work as the way it is intended, one should be able to see it clearly no matter what conditions you are using it in. I am sure when RIM designed this phone, they took a lot of complaints about other hand sets into consideration and will try to avoid making the same mistakes as on some of the other phones. Not sure how much detail or thought they put into this one, but I am sure it had been addressed at some point in time
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by DJM626 View Post
    Whatever the screen, it has been rumored, and might even be confirmed at this point, that it has a screen sensor built in which will automatically adjust to the various conditions that you use it in, and will adjust accordingly, which IF this does work as the way it is intended, one should be able to see it clearly no matter what conditions you are using it in. I am sure when RIM designed this phone, they took a lot of complaints about other hand sets into consideration and will try to avoid making the same mistakes as on some of the other phones. Not sure how much detail or thought they put into this one, but I am sure it had been addressed at some point in time
    The problem is even on full brightness, the screen is not clearly visible if it's an AMOLED.

I pumped it to the max and nothing. LCD even halfway through is visible.

Current BlackBerry's also have that auto-dim/brighten feature. It's not something new to BlackBerry's.
    Stuff
    CrackBerry Master

Well I guess it's something that I am going to have to learn to live with, if this is the case. Either way, by no means a deal breaker for me. Been with BB's for almost 8 years and never had much of a problem with it.

And I know that current blackberries have the auto-dim/brighten feature, and that it is NOT something new to BB. I am very much aware of that fact. It is just called something different on the new BB10

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJM626 View Post
    Well I guess it's something that I am going to have to learn to live with, if this is the case. Either way, by no means a deal breaker for me.
    I'm not clear on what you will "have to learn to live with", but in case you missed it: the screen is not AMOLED. Also it does have the same sort of light sensor which adjusts the brightness, just as we have on the PlayBook. I don't think any of this is a concern for anyone... it works fine on the Dev Alphas.
    CrackBerry Master

Default BlackBerry 10 Screen?

I was referencing the post someone made after my post stating that they did not have a positive experience with it. This has never been a problem with me

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk