Here's a link to an article from NPR that in my opinion gives every reason why BlackBerry should in no way consider making an Android device. Major Flaw In Android Phones Would Let Hackers In With Just A Text : All Tech Considered : NPR

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and PantherBlitz like this.
    07-27-15 10:36 AM
    Sounds like it's something that is fixable. Let's hope they fix it before we see Android OS on our phones.
    07-27-15 10:49 AM
    I was just reading about that on Forbes. People on this site begging for Android BlackBerries baffle me.
    07-27-15 10:55 AM
    Sounds like it's something that is fixable. Let's hope they fix it before we see Android OS on our phones.
    According to the NPR story, Google quickly adopted the recommended patches. But, and it's a big but, the question is how many OEMs and how many carriers will implement the patches. We all know how slow both can be to push out updates and an awful lot of users are still using earlier versions of Android that may never get updated/patched. I believe the story said something like 20% of phones are currently affected by the patch. Thank God we can always update our BBs by bypassing the carriers if need be.
    07-27-15 11:07 AM
    I was just reading about that on Forbes. People on this site begging for Android BlackBerries baffle me.
    Just Saturday night my wife was encouraging me to download a word game (AlphaBetty) that she loves using on her Kindle. It is a good game, but when I went to download it to my Z30 from the Amazon store, it required permission to access all my contacts. Why should a game require that??? I decided not to install--and left feedback indicating that (not that most Droid users or devs will likely pay attention).
    07-27-15 11:11 AM
    Maybe to invite friends to download and play the game?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 11:17 AM
    Just Saturday night my wife was encouraging me to download a word game (AlphaBetty) that she loves using on her Kindle. It is a good game, but when I went to download it to my Z30 from the Amazon store, it required permission to access all my contacts. Why should a game require that??? I decided not to install--and left feedback indicating that (not that most Droid users or devs will likely pay attention).
    Any app that gives you the ability to 'share' the game or invite people will have 'contacts' permission. Android needs granular permissions which it will have in Android M.

Droidberry will have the same issues with updates as other Androids as it rests on the carriers. Even BB10 10.3.2 isn't out to everyone so if a vulnerability as bad as this one, and its bad, would be problematic for BB10.
    07-27-15 11:25 AM
    According to the NPR story, Google quickly adopted the recommended patches. But, and it's a big but, the question is how many OEMs and how many carriers will implement the patches. We all know how slow both can be to push out updates and an awful lot of users are still using earlier versions of Android that may never get updated/patched. I believe the story said something like 20% of phones are currently affected by the patch. Thank God we can always update our BBs by bypassing the carriers if need be.
    CNN puts the number of phones affected to be around 950 MILLION phones, close to 95% of Androids in use today.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-27-15 03:28 PM