The following article is a glimpse of what is possible and what you, as a BB10 device owner, is buying in to. BlackBerry 10: Forget about the phone - it's the OS that really counts | ZDNet

While the article is a little technical, it's refreshing to know that the future of Blackberry isn't "keeping up with the Joneses" by manufacturing phones that are good enough to sell. Instead they are laying a foundation for, what I like to call, "lifestyle computing" where the mobile device becomes the heart of "your ecosystem". I'm not going to get too deep into this but the article reveals how your Blackberry can communicate with other devices be it your car, your TV, your fridge, your shower.... The possibilities of automation of the world changing around you because of your "presence" (really that of your Blackberry) need volumes to explain and detail but hard to comprehend how we did without once it's here.

This is the tip of the iceberg. Now I can see why Blackberry doesn't need to sell phones but rather devices, firmware and intellectual property. It's a little "out there" right now but it's coming.
    02-01-13 07:02 AM
    THIS is what I wanted to hear more about at the launch!
    PCMC and turtle_z10 like this.
    02-01-13 07:11 AM
    Have to agree and this is why I am not getting the Z10. Big and better things are in store for BB10 and future handsets.
    02-01-13 07:13 AM
    Have to agree and this is why I am not getting the Z10. Big and better things are in store for BB10 and future handsets.
    So, in other words, you will never buy "future handsets" because whenever one is released a better one is already in the pipeline somewhere? Also, the article does say that software already handles it, we just need to see it exposed in a software update - hardware update is not needed - every imaginable connectivity is already built in.
    02-01-13 07:28 AM
    So, in other words, you will never buy "future handsets" because whenever one is released a better one is already in the pipeline somewhere? Also, the article does say that software already handles it, we just need to see it exposed in a software update - hardware update is not needed - every imaginable connectivity is already built in.
    No that statement is specifically directed towards the Z10, not all future phones in general. The Z10 isn't good enough for me to make a jump at the moment (battery, fresh OS that's needs to be established with an app ecosystem, etc). I'm a fan of BB and BB10, but the Z10 isn't the phone for me right now.
    02-01-13 08:15 AM
    People are so critical of the phone. Just wait this was just the first step and amazing things are going to come. This set of phones was just to introduce the world. Next 2 or 3 versions are going to get even better but that won't stop me from getting this one.
    02-01-13 09:19 AM
    I was about to post this article.
    02-01-13 09:25 AM
    Showed the article to a friend of mine with a very large brain. He replied thus......

"The key thing in all of that is the intelligence of the QNX OS that RIM bought from Harman Industries - the parent of Harman-Kardon, JBL and various other consumer and pro audio brands.

In fact RIMs's best hope for survival - it's taking a beating on all fronts (market share, unit sales, profitability, market cap) - is to leverage QNX's real-time capabilities for things like smart metering, vehicle telematics, process control and even in things like next-generation retail devices like tills. If you look at Tony Fadell's learning thermostat - Nest - that's the kind of thing RIM should be encouraging on the Blackberry platform, a smart learning thermostat that could talk to a smart meter that then tells your phone/tablet - which has the controls - how much you're spending to heat the house. But there's a lot of work that RIM would have to do to make a lot of small niche hardware/software developers divide or maybe dedicate their efforts on BB as opposed to iOS or Android.

QNX was one of the reasons I used to argue on forums in the mid-Noughties that Apple should buy Harman with its big bundle of cash (which is now $130 billion plus), distributing the consumer stuff to the iPod division, the pro stuff to a new division aimed purely at musicians and sound engineers alongside Logic Studio and QNX would have been folded into iOS development, but Apple would have established a real-time devices division to help build smart vehicles, homes, warehouses and hospitals: it would have been a bargain - Harman was never worth more than about $7 billion at any point which Apple could have paid in cash and paper. However, that would be incompatible with the philosophy of Apple which - under Jobs - really did see itself as a purely consumer brand that had some traction in the corporate space "

You what!

I think rim/blackberry could happily employ my friend just to spout forth like this
    02-02-13 07:32 AM