It's on life support by the loyal BlackBerry users...

Via-Blackberry Passport Silver Edition
    Sorry but the loyal BlackBerry users don't factor into it at all. Hard to hear but there is.
    06-14-16 10:23 AM
    Sorry but the loyal BlackBerry users don't factor into it at all. Hard to hear but there is.
    We're non-existent in the grand scheme of things.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    06-14-16 11:48 AM
    Yeah, right - tell that to both my Z30s which admittedly as of today are still working, but the screen pops out on both of them due to the battery nearing its end of life (the MacBook Pro effect). I'll give them another year tops.
    That's a problem you'll face when you use any phone with a non-removable battery extensively over time. If you have good motor skills and basic DIY you might want to look into getting a kit to replace it.
    06-14-16 06:33 PM
    A lot of people don't know it exists? Are you kidding? We are the only ones that know.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-16 12:47 AM
    I use a z30 and a Passport daily, I chose them for my work and I am satisfied. I would pay a monthly fee to continue using this hardware and software. Couldn't this be a new business model?
    06-15-16 11:58 AM
    I use a z30 and a Passport daily, I chose them for my work and I am satisfied. I would pay a monthly fee to continue using this hardware and software. Couldn't this be a new business model?
    There might be a few thousand people who would do this... for a little while. That's no where near enough to pay for ongoing development, much less new, updated handsets.

The absolute most basic development for an OS would take several hundred developers - plus all of the managers, admins, HR, facilities, etc. people to support them (this excludes all marketing and sales personnel). The total cost for all of this would be on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars per year. How much per user could you hope to collect per year, times how many users?
    BigBadWulf and JeepBB like this.
    06-15-16 12:18 PM
    I guess this could be a market gathering people who don't want to become "transhuman" or live in so called "augmented reality". The engineered obsolescence of software and hardware could be cut off, just renting devices as a service. Say...300 $ for year insurance included?
    06-15-16 01:00 PM
    I guess this could be a market gathering people who don't want to become "transhuman" or live in so called "augmented reality". The engineered obsolescence of software and hardware could be cut off, just renting devices as a service. Say...300 $ for year insurance included?
    Do you think you can find half a million people to do the same?

That's about a tenth of the entire BB10 user base, and about half of current sales.

Edit: And that $300/year doesn't even include the hardware!
    Last edited by conite; 06-15-16 at 01:31 PM.
    BigBadWulf and JeepBB like this.
    06-15-16 01:14 PM
    Do you think you can find half a million people to do the same?

That's about a tenth of the entire BB10 user base, and about half of current sales.
    Even doubling that impossible number, they'd have to produce phones for less than $200 to have a remote chance at profit.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-15-16 01:20 PM
    Even doubling that impossible number, they'd have to produce phones for less than $200 to have a remote chance at profit.
    And I wasn't even including the cost of the devices themselves - just the OS service fee!
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-15-16 01:30 PM
    Old Man:"I feel happppppyyyyy!"
    Son: "No, you don't. You'll keel over any minute."
    Old Man:"I think I'll go for a walk!"

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-15-16 01:36 PM
    My phone would be in the dumpster the minute they announced it.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    werkregen likes this.
    06-15-16 02:10 PM
    If you think about how you "pay" Google with your private data, or Apple buying golden extras that should be default, you could value the paid service option...!
    06-15-16 02:40 PM
    If you think about how you "pay" Google with your private data, or Apple buying golden extras that should be default, you could value the paid service option...!
    You get value for that though. I believe it's an equal trade, if not in my favour.
    06-15-16 02:49 PM
    I am leaving BlackBerry starting next week. It is literally just a barebone communication phone that can't even get the god forsaken call app right. Today I was trying to end a phone conversation and it just wouldn't hang up, screen froze, app froze but the phone call continued. Blend is like half baked, text messages take forever to load. BlackBerry has clearly positioned itself just to serve the government and financial institutions for private emailing and calling purposes only. Well I am finally fed up now and it's time to move on.

edit: no I will not be going to dumbphone
    06-18-16 01:00 AM
    I care about mobile hardware and some specific apps such as email, map, dictionary, so i feel OS 10 can afford surely.

Posted via BlackBerry
    06-19-16 03:54 AM
    Unfortunately, since Chen is at the helm, BB10 will die soon enough. Although I believe BB10 to be a vastly superior OS compared to Android and iOS, the app situation is what makes it unrecoverable. I also believe that Chen's decision was premature, continuously damaged over time by his statements (he certainly suffers from foot-in-mouth disease), but as the market has saturated and people are looking to something fresh BB10 could have made a resurgence. Blackberry failed to come to the table with a phone that wasn't quirky and with a sufficient screen size comparable to what everyone else has come out with. The Passport was the closest to making the cut, but compromised by the hybrid keyboard and the lack of apps. Finally, BB10 OS development is essentially dead. Shy of a redirection upon the announcement of Chen's retirement coupled with an absolutely massive security failure by both Apple and Google, I cannot see any hope going forward.

Sadly, I find both Android and iOS are mind-numbing experiences - no wonder why zombies and the undead are so popular these days.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-19-16 07:29 AM
    Hmmm, the amusing thing about chen�s moving to android decision is....it could be a decreasing system in the future ....

Samsung considers using Tizen in all products

Blackberry 10 died cause its own producer did not believe in its strengths, and so stopped working against its weaknesses ( which always have been ignorable for me .. ). Either their promotion was far less than existent, it was kind of negative promotion! You cant just bring ads at the superbowl and then delay the release!

For me its clear... if blackberry 10 dies and they are only bringing android devices, blackberry phones will die for me .....
    Leonatthebeach likes this.
    07-01-16 06:41 AM
    Hmmm, the amusing thing about chen�s moving to android decision is....it could be a decreasing system in the future ....

Blackberry 10 died cause its own producer did not believe in its strengths, and so stopped working against its weaknesses ( which always have been ignorable for me .. ). Either their promotion was far less than existent, it was kind of negative promotion! You cant just bring ads at the superbowl and then delay the release!

For me its clear... if blackberry 10 dies and they are only bringing android devices, blackberry phones will die for me .....
    Bravo! Well said. +100000000

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 01:13 PM
    I also think so...

Posted via CB10
    07-02-16 09:34 AM

Samsung isn't dropping Android. If they did, then the world would drop Samsung. App developers don't want a third ecosystem. People who are vested in IOS or Android don't want a third ecosystem. You ever consider just how much money people have spent on apps and IAP's? For some, it's in the thousands of dollars! Switching to a new OS means you just lost all of that money because you can't carry it over to a new platform.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-02-16 10:18 AM
    BB10 has been dying since they went the Android way. Yes, you can browse the internet and use the native e-mail, but that's about it. Sure, you can say they're smartphones, the same way I can say my Nokia E71 is a smartphone.

I regularly update Android apps on the Classic and the performance has severley degraded the past year, to the point I'll waste 10 minutes a day just waiting for them to load if they don't crash. This is only getting worse as hardware on android phones is getting better and apps hungrier.

They won't announce an EOL just as they didn't with BB OS7, but BB10 is as dead as a platform can be.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-05-16 04:05 PM
    Don't think about the future. Live for the moment. Your bb10 phone does what it does better than the best. At this moment my passport is alive and rocking. BlackBerry, die another day!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 04:25 PM
    Don't think about the future. Live for the moment. Your bb10 phone does what it does better than the best. At this moment my passport is alive and rocking. BlackBerry, die another day!

Posted via CB10
    What a delightful slurry of platitudes.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-05-16 07:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Except have apps.....which is what the majority of the market wants in a portable device. Yeah it can run Android apps....sort of? If the apps you want to use are compatible with BB's ancient runtime (which only grows more incompatible with each day).

Posted via the 5X
    07-06-16 01:02 PM
148 ... 3456