And what is with "enterprise won't allow android apps"?

Haven't people been saying for years now that many enterprises left bb for iPhone or android for apps?????????
    A BB10 phone, on an Enterprise network, cannot install or run Android apps. Not even the converted .bar apps in BlackBerry World.
    06-20-14 02:23 PM
    I don't get all the hand wringing over this. People whine about Amazon, and before that the Android runtime. But nobody ever cried about BB supporting Adobe Air apps. Those aren't native. The whole idea is to get apps on the platform as quickly as possible, by any means. As long as they work well and integrate with the OS, who gives a care what runtime they are using? I too want native apps, but devs are NOT flocking to the platform.

At the end of the day, everyone here is taking the 'internet' perspective. Let's look at the real world perspective. This was all a marketing play. Nothing more. When 10.3.1 launches with the Passport, Classic, and later Z50, Blackberry can go on a marketing blitz touting the features of the OS as well as all the MAJOR apps it has in both of its stores. And as I said in another post, people outside of forms like this will not know the difference between an android app running on their device versus a native cascades app. Go and ask a layman phone user if they know what a cascades app is, or if they even know what and Android app is (they probably don't even associate the apps on Android as being Android apps, and instead just think of them as Instagram, Candy Crush, etc, etc)? They will look at you like you have two heads.

Edit:

And I'll just add, if Blackberry is smart they will keep things as high level as possible. No need to advertise android app compatibility to layman users. Just advertise which apps are available and end it there.
    I think, as with many things on the Internet, that some people are looking at this as an excuse to generate controversy. Concern trolling.

I don't think that BB has to downplay Android compatibility, though; I think people need to know that the option is there, at least. I heard a rumor (STILL not confirmed) that the Z3 was being sold with the 1mobile store already installed, and I thought that was really a very good step. Z3s definitely ARE being marketed as "Android-capable".
    06-20-14 02:27 PM
    A BB10 phone, on an Enterprise network, cannot install or run Android apps. Not even the converted .bar apps in BlackBerry World.
    So where are they getting the apps for enterprise? Like specialty medical apps etc?
    06-20-14 02:38 PM
    I think, as with many things on the Internet, that some people are looking at this as an excuse to generate controversy. Concern trolling.

I don't think that BB has to downplay Android compatibility, though; I think people need to know that the option is there, at least. I heard a rumor (STILL not confirmed) that the Z3 was being sold with the 1mobile store already installed, and I thought that was really a very good step. Z3s definitely ARE being marketed as "Android-capable".
    They don't have to downplay it but also no need to go out of their way to accentuate it specifically. In Indonesia I think it was necessary as there was no formal partnership with any third party app store at the time. Now that Amazon is on board they can just tell people, 'hey, here is the new Blackberry Z50. It has all the latest HW plus lagacy BB features you loved back in the day, AND it has Candy Crush, Instagram, Netflix, etc', and end it at that. No need to say they are android and they work well. This will just confuse the layman customer. The assumption is that these non native apps will work well enough that people won't know they were not originally designed for Blackberry.
    06-20-14 02:41 PM
    So where are they getting the apps for enterprise? Like specialty medical apps etc?
    If I remember correctly they can be deployed through BES - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-14 02:49 PM
    Do you think apps on Amazon will ever be integrated in to the hub, which is a key feature of BlackBerry devices, I think not, at least over the next year, and only native apps will, this might be a difference to continue development of native apps, they are given deeper integration, with a better customer experience, maybe the amazon deal is to plug a hole on the short term for on app availability, once BlackBerry is back on its feet, things can change.

Just my opinion.
    06-20-14 03:00 PM
    Do you think apps on Amazon will ever be integrated in to the hub, which is a key feature of BlackBerry devices, I think not, at least over the next year, and only native apps will, this might be a difference to continue development of native apps, they are given deeper integration, with a better customer experience, maybe the amazon deal is to plug a hole on the short term for on app availability, once BlackBerry is back on its feet, things can change.

Just my opinion.
    Some Android apps I have downloaded from BB World (Songza) and Snap (uTorrent) already push notifications into the hub. I don't think this is as big of a challenge as people here make it out to be. If an Android app pushes notifications to an Android device, then I don't see why the BB10 Android runtime could not interpret this and push the notifications into the hub.
    06-20-14 04:01 PM
    What a stupid thread.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 04:08 PM
    Some Android apps I have downloaded from BB World (Songza) and Snap (uTorrent) already push notifications into the hub. I don't think this is as big of a challenge as people here make it out to be. If an Android app pushes notifications to an Android device, then I don't see why the BB10 Android runtime could not interpret this and push the notifications into the hub.
    The notifications got way better on 10.3.0.296, for example a notification from eBay:
    Blackberry 10 Dead - Amazon Deal-img_20140620_231604.png

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    06-20-14 04:17 PM
    Yes totally logical after releasing the Z3, Classic and Passport. Unbelievable how people think BlackBerry can somehow be better off with full android.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Oops, misunderstood. I didn't mean BlackBerry should dump everything and go straight to full android. But the recent events clearly show that BlackBerry is on another road, forgetting what was the initial idea when bb10 was unveiled.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 05:32 PM
    The notifications got way better on 10.3.0.296, for example a notification from eBay:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140620_231604.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	279234

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what I am looking at in your screen shot? Do you have a shot of the ebay notification showing in the hub?
    06-20-14 05:33 PM
    I'm not sure what I am looking at in your screen shot? Do you have a shot of the ebay notification showing in the hub?
    Yes. That's an example of an android app notification in hub's notification area of 10.3.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    06-20-14 06:21 PM
    Yes. That's an example of an android app notification in hub's notification area of 10.3.

Exactly. In this case it's telling me that the auction is ending soon and I can access the auction directly by hitting 'Artikel aufrufen'. That's what you get when you tap on a notification of an android app in the hub.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:02 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140620_231604.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	279234

Posted via CB10
    Well that's something I've never seen until now!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 07:05 PM
    If I remember correctly they can be deployed through BES - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    There seems to be some confusion here.

Yes, Enterprise apps are deployed through BES. If you have Balance, you will see a special "work" version of the app store on the work side.

The ONLY apps that can be deployed on that side are native BB10 apps. No Android allowed. Not even the ported Android apps that consumers can get in BB World.
    kbz1960, LuvULongTime and pfl4ume like this.
    06-20-14 07:22 PM
    BB10 is dead just because you don't like Android apps? I think this is the best deal ever made. I care less for native apps, as log it is a good app and works well. But my worry is JC trying to slowly move away from BB10 to Android? Is this the first sign? Time will tell us. Enjoy your Windows phone if you buy one in the future. WP apps development is really fantastic and very easy.
    06-20-14 07:30 PM
    Thats what they tried to do. According to me it is fantastic. I am sure native dev will pick up once we see devices getting sold.
    BB10 needs a android market pre-installed for all customers, Period.

Picture a bigtime CEO side loading! LOL

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:46 PM

Exactly. In this case it's telling me that the auction is ending soon and I can access the auction directly by hitting 'Artikel aufrufen'. That's what you get when you tap on a notification of an android app in the hub.

Posted via CB10
    OK. Gotcha. That's what you see after tapping on the notification icon in the hub. That is new to me. Never seen that before. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    06-20-14 09:42 PM
68 123