I know a lot of people would feel its exaggerated but I am trying to put valid points,

- I am a Z10 owner since the beginning of it.
    - BB10 is a great platform provided developers try it
    - Android port thing is actually hurting BB more now.

So why so much noise after Amazon deal for apps? After all we all use android apps from snap etc.
    No, its about where BB as a company focuses on apps.

Assume that BB will try its best to give Amazon a great integrated experience probably as nearest possible to native apps .

Even though after all that, consider this scenario,

Customer: I am looking for a good smartphone in $200-500 range.
    Sales Rep: Sir we have a lot of devices across brands. Some of the most popular once are Moto G, E, X etc etc.
    Customer: I heard/used/thinking of Blackberry device.
    Sales REp(assuming he is aware and fair to BB): Yes sir we have Z3, Z30, Q10 for qwerty physical keyboard. It has amazon app store and can run android apps quite well.
    Customer: whats new in BB?
    Sales Rep: Its Hub, Peek and Flow, Shift time camera, build quality, Browser, security etc.
    Customer: that sounds a little exciting but how do android apps run especially chrome, maps, quizup, instagram etc.
    Sales Rep: They run well though Hub & notification support is limited and more open for native apps.
    Also, not all work like you mentioned above. They are google services and play dependent.

Customer: whatever I don't have so much time. I just need a good plug and play app driven smartphone. Can you please show me Moto G, E etc etc.

Sales Rep: Sure.
    (Just think of scenario where Sales Rep don't even know BB is still there)

And the deal goes to Android or windows.(cheaper)

Now comes the main Problem, if there is no amazon, where will the apps come from since we all want native?

it would not happen overnight and every day every customer who picks will get frustrated about it and may discourage others also to buy.

So where was the ideal solution, cheaper devices, quickly go-to-market, 3rd party support like what we are seeing in WP.(tons of 3rd wonderful apps coming almost daily unlike ours offline apps).

Also amazon deal could have been time bound or integrated with BB world to the point we get more apps as native.

Yes Z10 is my last Blackberry device and would probably go for windows coz of whole native apps thing. I hated android apps that's why I came to BB and waited for them to bring some on the platform.

Big sorry for Native developers and want the to succeed big time in life after BB thing.
    Anyway we should all wish a good luck to them for MDM, BBM and other services. BB10 is surely dead.
    lmsilvam likes this.
    06-19-14 02:28 AM
    Firstly, that's a hasty conclusion on the subject matter.
    Secondly, you never know what Mr Chen has in mind until he has made it public(and I do not think you are an insider to know these things)
    I am not trying to start an argument. I respect your opinions but concluding on a subject matter that has not even been implemented officially is wrong.
    All I can say is that we should wait and see how this kicks off.
    We can't keep blaming Blackberry for apps. You also noted that BB10 is a great platform if only developers can try it.
    Blackberry is also trying to stay alive in the business no matter what and this one of the things they set out to do. We can only hope it gets better.
    But, eh, everyone to his own
    hassanelbadawy likes this.
    06-19-14 02:50 AM
    Just to be sure. You're not one of these folks that thinks that if android support didn't exist big devs would actually develop for BB10, right? Because if you are, I'm sorry to say so but you're wrong!

You know why? Because even with android support the majority of big devs don't even port their apps so why would they even bother to develop a native one?

I really like that some devs are actually making natives apps! Let's take nemOry for example, he's doing a great job! But hey you know what, this guy loves the fact that big devs aren't porting their apps to BB10, you know why? Because it's actually easier to develop a Snapchat client than actually thinking about creating snapchat. Same goes for the Whine developer, he's done a tremendous job with his app, but he didn't invent anything, just created a client. And as much as a respect these guys. I'd like it way more if snapchat or vine ported their apps to BB10 then having clients for these apps.

Because having snap2chat or whine isn't going to win any customer for BB10, but having the actual app(without the need to download the apk from some shady appstore or through snap) would *maybe* make people buy blackberry phones, but I know damn well that native ones aren't selling anything.

You're leaving to WP? I'm sorry to hear that, but I also wish you all the best with your next phone.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really really tired of people complaining about android apps on BB10. If you don't like them, don't install them. That's it! You like WP, then get yourself a WP, but saying that BlackBerry pulling a licensing deal with amazon to get their app store is the death of BB is just plain stupid, because no 'important' dev will develop a native blackberry app and that's because no one has a bb phone( and by no one you get what I mean). So by getting android apps Chen is trying to save the company.

Holly molly that was one heck of a long rant and posts sorry again!
    06-19-14 03:07 AM
    First.. BB10 isn't selling well...
    Big apps will only be native to BB10 if there is enough traction... and there isn't!
    Second.. BB10 has Android runtime in it's guts, so... why not use Android apps? Sure they are not Cascades, but i use some (3 to be precise) and they work very well (almost as native)!
    Third... If you BB10 is to sell to the general public, it has to have those Big Apps... and if they run in BB10, then why not to take that advantage?!
    If BB10 start's selling (even the Z3 and others like it) and the platform starts to expand and to gain traction, even if it is with Android apps... soon big app brands will want to develop a better user experience in their apps, and they will develop in Cascades, or at least HTML5...
    BB10 was in a vicious cycle... No apps, no costumers, no new apps, no new costumers... This is the best way to try to revert the cycle into a virtuous one... More apps, more costumers, more new Big apps, more new costumers...
    I really don't see the disadvantage here... Native apps can take some time but they will come... if BB10 starts "taking off"...
    And the general public doesn't really want to know if they are Cascades or Android... they just have to work, and they will work great in 10.3....
    Banco, brotherjus and Elite1 like this.
    06-19-14 03:30 AM
    Heh, moving to Windows? They have issues of their own. Good luck though with what ever you decide.

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk
    06-19-14 03:37 AM
    If BlackBerry isn't going to pay for the development of high end and popular apps in native format then this is something they should do. I would prefer native apps and missing a few doesn't bother me. The average consumer doesn't want to be bothered with figuring out how to do something without an app. They just want the app. This gives them access to what they want. For example, I now have access to an app for my bank through the Amazon Store. Do I need it? Nope, but now I can have it if I want it.

Personally, I think it is a stop gap solution st best but they have to do something to address the incessant whining about apps. Now if they could improve their document suite, give us native print capabilities, add more robust Bluetooth keyboard support and continue to improve the base OS I would be happy.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 08:14 AM
    Pshh...
    06-19-14 08:25 AM
    No fun anymore for BB 10 wait to long for everything, then dead for the result ......
    06-19-14 05:11 PM
    OP is so far out of line the line can't even see him anymore.

Amazon "deal" isn't really that big. Anyone with 10.2.1+ can easily download and install the Amazon App Store. The only thing the deal really accomplishes is to save the user from having to even do that. It's a quiet acknowledgement of just how well Android apps now work on BB10, and nothing more.

Paradoxically, making Android apps easier to get may actually lead to MORE native BB10 apps in the future, because it improves the sales prospects for the entire platform.

Try to look at the positives here.
    06-19-14 05:25 PM
    Amazon "deal" isn't really that big. Anyone with 10.2.1+ can easily download and install the Amazon App Store.
    That's what so my are doing already, be it through amazon, snap or whatever other Android app store there is.
    Personally I don't really get why so many people complain about this deal. When 10.2.1 leaked and finally got official there were so many posts on cb which basically demanded something like that and now it's the whole opposite. WTF?!

The only thing that's wrong with this deal is how it was presented. There was and maybe still is so much confusion about the future of native app development and BlackBerry has to clear things.

This deal will (hopefully) help to gain some traction in device sales and in the end lead to more native apps due to increased market share.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5769508) likes this.
    06-19-14 06:06 PM
    BlackBerry may die yet but it won't be because of Amazon.

Post via BlackBerry ZedAche 10.2.1.2102 (2141)
    Last edited by bubbbab; 06-19-14 at 11:06 PM.
    06-19-14 06:17 PM
    The only thing that's wrong with this deal is how it was presented. There was and maybe still is so much confusion about the future of native app development and BlackBerry has to clear things.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a native developer and I don't find the situation confusing at all.

BlackBerry has promoted developing for BB10 by developing for Android since the launch of BB10. They have also promoted developing for BB10 native as the way to take full advantage of the platform. The message to developers with the Amazon deal is that if you are, or want to develop applications for Android, but haven't been active in Android markets, BlackBerry and Amazon are going to help broaden your sales prospects.

For pure native developers nothing is changed by this anoucement. Except, to the degree that the availability of more apps for the not technical BlackBerry user will drive device sales, and grow the market for our applications.
    06-19-14 07:26 PM
    Customer: I was thinking of BlackBerry
    Rep: oh yes we have Z30, Q10, Q5 and Z10
    Customer: Does it have instagram and netflix and other apps?
    Rep: No. Unless you sideload. To do this you need to download this app store or this one, or use Snap and put your phone in development mo..
    Customer: please show me the Moto G

*my situation is unlikely, but a lot more likely than the OPs. You can spin it any way you want but the fact of the matter is that we would all love more Native apps but people don't want to develop for BB10, so the only way to get apps, and maybe attract customers and therefore developers, is to use the Amazon store

Posted via CB10
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    06-19-14 07:41 PM
    The funny thing is the fact that I can't use Amazon Store because I don't have credit card, only debit. So this "deal" means absolutely nothing to me.

Wait, $+:, need to make a thread about that

EDIT: hmmm, I managed to make an amazon account without having to provide CC. I wonder what happened before. I tried to register via Amazon App Store and had trouble before

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 12:41 AM
    Just to be sure. You're not one of these folks that thinks that if android support didn't exist big devs would actually develop for BB10, right? Because if you are, I'm sorry to say so but you're wrong! ...

... Holly molly that was one heck of a long rant and posts sorry again!
    I like your rant more than the OP's rant.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:50 AM
    Amazon deal is genius, nobody want to port their app really to bb, let alone develop a native. Allowing the app store will give an opportunity for amazon developers to port there apps, and see the response in order to develop a native. This is where the z3 is great cause if they sell z3's in huge numbers they can get a bigger base of users to allow app makers to profit. This is a great strategy. Windows phone has apps too but not all of them and when you get frustrate you can get app that's the end of the road. Where as on BlackBerry you can at least use the andriod app.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    06-20-14 01:13 AM
    BlackBerry 10 isn't going anywhere... even I was a bit skeptical at first but the thing is, that BlackBerry has always advertised that bb10 could run android apps..the fact that they're now licensing the same from another app store shows that they have confidence in their runtime! It's safe to say that 10.3 might just bring along more surprises as we near its release...

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    06-20-14 01:36 AM
    BlackBerry 10 isn't going anywhere... even I was a bit skeptical at first but the thing is, that BlackBerry has always advertised that bb10 could run android apps..the fact that they're now licensing the same from another app store shows that they have confidence in their runtime! It's safe to say that 10.3 might just bring along more surprises as we near its release...

MATVD - Movies, Advertisements, Tv Shows and Documentaries! The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    Actually BlackBerry never advertised it. They've mentioned it to developers but never to consumers.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 01:54 AM
    Customer: I was thinking of BlackBerry
    Rep: oh yes we have Z30, Q10, Q5 and Z10
    Customer: Does it have instagram and netflix and other apps?
    Rep: No. Unless you sideload. To do this you need to download this app store or this one, or use Snap and put your phone in development mo..
    No, it works like this:

Customer: I'd like a BlackBerry
    Rep: BlackBerry is dead, we only carry apple or samsung, which one you want?

(source: I don't see BlackBerry in consumer stores anymore and on the business plans, the 24 months lease on the Z10 is just 5 euro monthly, like a low spec android...)

Posted via Z10
    06-20-14 01:58 AM
    No, it works like this:

Customer: I'd like a BlackBerry
    Rep: BlackBerry is dead, we only carry apple or samsung, which one you want?

(source: I don't see BlackBerry in consumer stores anymore and on the business plans, the 24 months lease on the Z10 is just 5 euro monthly, like a low spec android...)

Posted via Z10
    You are right. I was just being hopeful that after amazon it would be on shelf. That's a plain dream yet to take off.

Effects already coming on us, Nemory isn't sure about what development he will do since its all going to Amazon now. Thanks Blackberry for crap android.

Its still a good time to explain how will you do native and amazon at the same time and what if amazon backs off from the deal?? We need to build up our store finally.

@all: you could rightly see a increase in sales of BB10 device. It does not mean native will pick up. Simple, they clearly said that for consumer side, we did with Amazon and for enterprise we will have the BBW. Its not about Amazon store, but the approach BB took by killing native.
    06-20-14 03:52 AM
    @all: you could rightly see a increase in sales of BB10 device. It does not mean native will pick up. Simple, they clearly said that for consumer side, we did with Amazon and for enterprise we will have the BBW. Its not about Amazon store, but the approach BB took by killing native.
    I like that air of uncertainty, especially the "killing native" part. Keep it up.

They clearly said that they will still have BlackBerry World.

They can't kill Native. It simply is impossible unless they shut down any avenue of developing for BlackBerry 10 in any way possible. BlackBerry World is a way for consumers to get apps. Enterprise people get their apps deployed to their devices, not via BlackBerry World, otherwise I should be able to see the apps used internally by banks throughout Google Play. It simply means one thing: they are not killing native.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    zocster likes this.
    06-20-14 04:21 AM
    You are right. I was just being hopeful that after amazon it would be on shelf. That's a plain dream yet to take off.

Effects already coming on us, Nemory isn't sure about what development he will do since its all going to Amazon now. Thanks Blackberry for crap android.

Its still a good time to explain how will you do native and amazon at the same time and what if amazon backs off from the deal?? We need to build up our store finally.

They didn't kill native. Sales killed native, because people didn't buy BB10 phones because BBWORLD lacks big apps. Nemory doesn't know what development he will do because all he does is making clients (his 2 biggest apps are snap2chat and messenger (Facebook messenger client)) so honestly, as much as I like what Nem is doing (BTW I've bought most of his apps even if I don't use them, just to support his work) but I don't give a flying duck what he will do, all I want is people buying blackberry phones so I can get an upgrade to my Z30. And independent devs building clients won't make people buy BB phones.

I just can't stand people and their hate towards android apps. If you go on BBWORLD and look at some android ports reviews, it's seems that they have been writing by some 5 year olds 'good app, but I'll give you one star because it's not native' like WTF

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 04:27 AM
    Again, the point people seem to keep missing here is that Android apps cannot be deployed to Enterprise phones. Period.

That on its own will make sure that the native BB10 environment will remain viable. Any app publisher that wants to have their app available to BB enterprise users will have to publish a native BB10 app.
    eddy_berry and vinniesworld like this.
    06-20-14 11:56 AM
    I wonder why people are so quick to assume that Native is dead. Technically if it is, then BB10 itself is dead. It's like saying killing .EXE files when Windows is designed to run .EXE files and not say.. .JAR.

As a consumer, I see the presence of the Amazon Store as a way to force developers to write apps in a professional and presentable way. While anyone can wantonly get Android apps from the Amazon Store (which solves the app gap), at some point, some developer would probably take advantage of the fact that people will pay for Native apps.

Like I say, it will be a circle. In the short while it may feel Native is "dead" but in the long run. People will ask for it when the Android version ages up. Someone has to see opportunity.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:12 PM
    I'm a native developer and I don't find the situation confusing at all.

BlackBerry has promoted developing for BB10 by developing for Android since the launch of BB10. They have also promoted developing for BB10 native as the way to take full advantage of the platform. The message to developers with the Amazon deal is that if you are, or want to develop applications for Android, but haven't been active in Android markets, BlackBerry and Amazon are going to help broaden your sales prospects.

For pure native developers nothing is changed by this anoucement. Except, to the degree that the availability of more apps for the not technical BlackBerry user will drive device sales, and grow the market for our applications.
    Have you read what some native developers are saying in here? It isn't good.
    06-20-14 12:15 PM
68 123